HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   4 teams inquire about Witt (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=161358)

Marshall 08-11-2005 08:20 AM

4 teams inquire about Witt

"Three Canadian teams and at least one in the United States have made preliminary inquiries about Caps defenseman Brendan Witt, 30, who has asked to be traded."

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...5533-9195r.htm

Not Earth-shaking, but some specifics on who is interested are nice.

Pancake Repairman 08-11-2005 08:22 AM

Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are my guesses for the Canadian teams

Biggest Canuck Fan 08-11-2005 08:23 AM

I think Edmonton is one of the canadian teams. Witt would give them a solid top 4.

Safir* 08-11-2005 08:26 AM

Let's me guess. It's down to Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Boston or Pittsburgh (Witt is Gonchars old partner.)

The Times also mentioned that Mogilny might sign with the Caps. Never heard that rumor before. :dunno:

interminded 08-11-2005 08:28 AM

Maybe Detroit ?? :dunno:

Sure could use him...

The Imp 08-11-2005 08:36 AM

Fan590 reporting that the Leafs are NOT among teams inquiring about Witt.

Isles_Goal 08-11-2005 08:37 AM

The Rag$$$

NYC Aim 4588 08-11-2005 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Goal
The Rag$$$

Witt wants a contender which I guess you didnt know, cause if you did you wouldnt have said the RAG$$$$,unless you consider NYR a contender.

Well im off to eat my lunch, frozen fishsticks.

Bytown 08-11-2005 09:05 AM

Ottawa is there are are offering a real nice offer.Hossa/Lee for with and one other player.

Lionheart 08-11-2005 09:06 AM

One of them is probably Ottawa, since we were looking at him at the '04 trade deadline

Yes, I know we've no leeway cap-wise to speak of (yet), but I bet we're one of the teams

Mothra 08-11-2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionheart
One of them is probably Ottawa, since we were looking at him at the '04 trade deadline

Yes, I know we've no leeway cap-wise to speak of (yet), but I bet we're one of the teams

Kaygorodov or Vermette or Meszaros ???

I know I know...I'm dreaming....funny thing is, I dont even like Witt that much

Wpg Jets 08-11-2005 09:14 AM

The US team is Boston.

Tuggy 08-11-2005 09:19 AM

I'm pretty the Habs would be one of the Canadians teams interested. Witt would be a welcome addition to the club.

Jean_Jacket41 08-11-2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg Jets
The US team is Boston.

True. And if he wants to go to a contender and fullfil his dream of winning a Stanley Cup, than Boston and him are a match made in heaven... :D

Albi 08-11-2005 09:57 AM

The Kings are looking for a tough defenseman

HSHS 08-11-2005 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
The Kings are looking for a tough defenseman

That's why only one US team is looking at Witt... and its not LA, its Boston. :sarcasm:

Peter Griffin 08-11-2005 10:25 AM

The Canucks are most likely interested, but have no space to add his contract, unless they got rid of a salary such as Sami Salo's. Personally, I'd much rather have Salo, who is a top 4 d-man, than Witt who I see as nothing more than a 5th d-man on a good team. Witt is by far one of the most overrated players in the NHL.

OilerFan4Life 08-11-2005 10:31 AM

If Edmonton's interested thats great, if not no big deal. I'm comfortable with our top 6 next year:

Pronger Semenov
Smith Staios
Bergeron Ulanov

although adding Witt would make us one of the toughest defenses in the league :)

MojoJojo 08-11-2005 11:00 AM

Witt is an unsigned RFA, right? How much is he looking for? 2-3 mil? He should be had for virtually nothing, a third rounder similar to what Nashville gave up for Markov.

The Imp 08-11-2005 11:03 AM

He has a QO, as I remember it, of something around 1,65.

Chimaera 08-11-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Witt is an unsigned RFA, right? How much is he looking for? 2-3 mil? He should be had for virtually nothing, a third rounder similar to what Nashville gave up for Markov.

No. He has one year left on his deal.

Peter Griffin 08-11-2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimaera
No. He has one year left on his deal.

All sources say he is unsigned.

HabsoluteFate 08-11-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
True. And if he wants to go to a contender and fullfil his dream of winning a Stanley Cup, than Boston and him are a match made in heaven... :D

Sarcasm I hope...Boston isn't a team I would consider being a Contender. With the loss of Gonchar some people might suggest that they aren't as good as two years ago and we all know what happened in the first round back then. I do put them ahead of Toronto and Buffallo in the North East so I'll give you that...maybe even in front of Montreal but that's questionable...Montreal should in theory be better than 2 years ago although I don't enticipate a huge jump...although they could have advantages if the rules really are called and who knows trying to sell the game it might happen this time around..just dont hold your breath just in case!

Kegger 08-11-2005 11:09 AM

Witt turned in his qualifying offer sheet. He is signed for one year.

"Witt signed the Capitals' qualifying offer last week -- a one-year contract worth $1,672,000 -- which was last year's salary minus the 24 percent rollback the players' union agreed to in the new collective bargaining agreement."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080801548.html

NFITO 08-11-2005 11:16 AM

I'd love to see him on the canucks, but salary is an issue... although with the team locking up the Sedins cheaper than expected (and saving about $500K between the two of them), and then losing Chubarov overseas (and saving another $500K or so from his contract to a cheap 4th liner), more room might be available.

I think that the canucks are trying to sort out all their RFAs first and see how much money they have left. It wouldn't at all surprise me that they'd be interested here.

The Hamrlik rumours also won't go away... read an article yesterday that his agent was quoted in. He said that there are some offers they've already turned down. He said that he wants to go to a playoff team and is willing to take less to do so, but the teams interested (both ways) have to sort out their RFA situation first. This tells me that the canucks are still interested, and maybe could offer him a low rate 1 yr deal if he really wants to play for another team?

My last calculations had the canucks payroll at just over $37 mill with 23 players signed - this included a $750K slot for another UFA dman. This is probably the best case scenario right now, so with that salary and space, it probably makes Witt a lot more likely than Hamrlik... but at least the team is trying to make room it seems.

More than likely though the canucks are probably in the market for a Lukowich or Slegr type than a Witt or Hamrlik type... although I'm still hoping for one of the latter group.