HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Happy with Del Zotto? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1613637)

Amazing Kreiderman 02-28-2014 06:37 PM

Happy with Del Zotto?
 
Hey guys,

It's been over a month since the straight-up trade which included Del Zotto for Kline. How do you guys feel about the trade at this point? Just curious to see how he's doing as a Rangers fan.

jwhouk 02-28-2014 06:40 PM

Fourth option: not enough time to evaluate.

GeauxPreds 02-28-2014 06:46 PM

I can't say better than klein yet, but I think they're both similar in that they are both solid 2nd pairing dmen. They both have drastically different styles though so I can't really vote for similar skill set but maybe similar skill level. Either way I think it was a good move for the preds.

gratefulpred 02-28-2014 07:26 PM

Agree with jw, not enough time to say and a lot of us still carry the torch for Kleiner.

Soundgarden 02-28-2014 07:41 PM

I think it'll be better in the long run for the team, so yes, I'm happy with it, but is he a better player than Klein right this instant? I don't think so, but I think acquiring a young long-term partner to play alongside Jones this early in his career will really help both of those players immensely. He's only 23 and has 300 games under his belt, in comparison Klein is six years older and has only played in 400, he can still grow his game a whole lot.

That doesn't diminish what Klein has done for this club though. One of the most solid defenders we've had.

dulzhok 02-28-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 80684447)
I think it'll be better in the long run for the team, so yes, I'm happy with it, but is he a better player than Klein right this instant? I don't think so, but I think acquiring a young long-term partner to play alongside Jones this early in his career will really help both of those players immensely. He's only 23 and has 300 games under his belt, in comparison Klein is six years older and has only played in 400, he can still grow his game a whole lot.

That doesn't diminish what Klein has done for this club though. One of the most solid defenders we've had.

Except for the 2 playoff series were he was easily one of the worst players on the ice. He was great in the Detriot series and that was his redeeming moment. But, they guy is still prone to lapses (though less) and barley has an offensive game. He's tough, but not physically imposing. He's a #3-4 with bad puck skills. MDZ has the ability to be a good 3-4 with good puck skills. The new NHL is geared more towards a player like MDZ. Trotz and Housely are one of the best coaching staffs for a defenseman to reach his potential.

I'm happy with the value of MDZ and his potential (5 yrs younger than Klein). That being said, we traded one of our few pieces with some value for MORE DEFENSE. That's Poile for you... operating from his comfort zone.

kypredsfan 02-28-2014 08:23 PM

I'm honestly very pleased with what MDZ has provided so far. His passing is really nice to see. Him and Klein are not the same player though.

PFL615 02-28-2014 08:35 PM

Im pleased with MDZ. Once he gets comfortable and builds some chemistry with Jones they are going to be filthy and multiple

preds1 02-28-2014 09:16 PM

Given the choices, I voted similar to Klein.
Simply because it's still early and I'm still neutral about the lateral move.
MDZ is better passing, Klein is better in the D-zone and pk.

Seems even right now given the different skill each bring.

PredsV82 02-28-2014 09:58 PM

Im happy with DZ but he's a different type of Dman than KK so none of the poll options is valid

AHB* 03-01-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 80684805)
Except for the 2 playoff series were he was easily one of the worst players on the ice. He was great in the Detriot series and that was his redeeming moment. But, they guy is still prone to lapses (though less) and barley has an offensive game. He's tough, but not physically imposing. He's a #3-4 with bad puck skills. MDZ has the ability to be a good 3-4 with good puck skills. The new NHL is geared more towards a player like MDZ. Trotz and Housely are one of the best coaching staffs for a defenseman to reach his potential.

I'm happy with the value of MDZ and his potential (5 yrs younger than Klein). That being said, we traded one of our few pieces with some value for MORE DEFENSE. That's Poile for you... operating from his comfort zone.


As a Rangers fan, I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Klein's handling of the puck and occasional breakout passes.

Glad to see MDZ is doing well. He's not as bad a player as many make him out to be. And he has streaks where he's an animal. I wasn't very happy with trading him, to be honest, but Klein seems good for our team as constructed right now.

Viqsi 03-01-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHB (Post 80743539)
As a Rangers fan, I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Klein's handling of the puck and occasional breakout passes.

That would be because Klein's actually halfway decent at it; he just doesn't compare to the likes of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber and consequently earned himself one of the single most irrational hatedoms I've ever seen. I'd thought it had since died, but apparently not. :dunno:

dulzhok 03-01-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 80744909)
That would be because Klein's actually halfway decent at it; he just doesn't compare to the likes of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber and consequently earned himself one of the single most irrational hatedoms I've ever seen. I'd thought it had since died, but apparently not. :dunno:

Being the goat of 2 playoff series will do that to you, and it's not irrational. "Halfway decent" outlet passes is not good, or decent. Klein has grown into a serviceable defenseman, but he's replaceable. Our D hasn't missed a beat without him.

MDZ is light years ahead of where Klein was when he was 23. He has a much higher ceiling.

Byrddog 03-01-2014 06:25 PM

While MDZ has made no major gaffs the only positive I have seen is his age. He is not as physical as KK or at least he has not shown that yet. The contract issue may well be the issue. I doubt his next contract will be as good as the one KK is on. For all the hype of MDZ being a more offensively productive dman thus far has not surfaced. I will bet that MDZ asks for a salary increase in the summer then the swap does not look as good as many think.

Nashville Transplant 03-01-2014 07:13 PM

What sucks so far is that Trotz/Housley have yet to see fit it give him any shot playing on special teams. He's a PP specialist and they seem to believe at this point that Jones is ahead of him in that arena. Weber/Josi, and Ellis, absolutely, but Jones is being hung out to dry way too much to not give DelZotto some PP time.

Armourboy 03-02-2014 05:39 AM

I like him so far but honestly we do need more time to really see how it goes. He and Klein are so different that its really hard to say one is better than the other.

I've never been a huge Klein fan. I thought he was solid but nothing special, and for every good play he made he usually made one just as bad. Call it bad luck I guess, but it always seemed like when he did make a bad one it always led to the puck being in the net. Its one reason I think he got way more attention for it compared to some others that made just as many, his for some reason always seemed to cost us when others didn't.

MrMariusz 03-02-2014 08:53 AM

This was a good trade, and will be even better as he continues to progress.

Roman Yoshi 03-02-2014 08:57 AM

Still love this trade.

I just don't get why we haven't moved ellis when his value has gone up. This is a great opportunity to get talented youth upfront. We don't need ellis if we have MDZ

wentz22 03-02-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi (Post 80785427)
Still love this trade.

I just don't get why we haven't moved ellis when his value has gone up. This is a great opportunity to get talented youth upfront. We don't need ellis if we have MDZ


I have a hunch that Ellis playing up on the second pair these 3 games before the deadline may be more focused towards fluffing his value up a tad bit more.

Paranoid Android 03-02-2014 12:57 PM

I like MDZ's potential and offensive instincts, but is he better than Klein right now? No. This trade was always about selling current, proven talent for future, potential talent. I do think MDZ will surpass Klein very shortly however.

I'm not a fan of this trade though because I didn't think we needed more defensemen like MDZ. IMO, we needed another dman like Klein - a veteran, stay at home dman with some grit. I also don't get why we are rearranging and tweaking the blueline when our forward situation is in such a mess.

Soundgarden 03-02-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 80798081)
I like MDZ's potential and offensive instincts, but is he better than Klein right now? No. This trade was always about selling current, proven talent for future, potential talent. I do think MDZ will surpass Klein very shortly however.

I'm not a fan of this trade though because I didn't think we needed more defensemen like MDZ. IMO, we needed another dman like Klein - a veteran, stay at home dman with some grit. I also don't get why we are rearranging and tweaking the blueline when our forward situation is in such a mess.

I think it has a lot to do with Jones. Why wait a few years when Jones has developed into a great defenseman to worry about finding him a partner and trading Klein. In two or three years who knows how Klein is playing. We traded Klein while his value was high-ish and we give Jones a partner that will grow with him while letting him play his natural side. Acquiring a young left handed partner for Jones was pretty smart thinking ahead.

Now that we've solidified our d core we won't have to worry about it that much, unless something unfortunate happens, allowing us to work on our forwards.

Viqsi 03-02-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 80748337)
Being the goat of 2 playoff series will do that to you, and it's not irrational. "Halfway decent" outlet passes is not good, or decent. Klein has grown into a serviceable defenseman, but he's replaceable. Our D hasn't missed a beat without him.

MDZ is light years ahead of where Klein was when he was 23. He has a much higher ceiling.

By that standard, every non-superstar in the League is "replaceable". Yes, he makes occasional noticable mistakes. Well, gosh, that puts him on line with every single second-pairing blueliner in the National Hockey League, and a few top-pairing and major stars as well. (Funny how Suter always got a pass, and Weber continues to do so, but Klein and Hamhuis were constantly berated...) If he was up to the standards his haters insisted out of him, he'd be a top-pairing mobile defensive defenseman. Not a star, but a major asset.

You can keep asserting it's "not irrational", but that's not going to change the reality.

SavageSteve 03-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 80807205)
I think it has a lot to do with Jones. Why wait a few years when Jones has developed into a great defenseman to worry about finding him a partner and trading Klein. In two or three years who knows how Klein is playing. We traded Klein while his value was high-ish and we give Jones a partner that will grow with him while letting him play his natural side. Acquiring a young left handed partner for Jones was pretty smart thinking ahead.

Now that we've solidified our d core we won't have to worry about it that much, unless something unfortunate happens, allowing us to work on our forwards.

+1

you can clearly see how the trade has balanced out our D when Jones has to play on his unnatural side. He looks like a 19-year old too often when not in his natural position. Plus looking ahead, our defense is set for the next 4-5 years (barring injury). Our power play produces well and if the Preds can develop a couple of consistently producing even-strength scoring threats, we'll have a beast of a team for years to come. This year seems to be a developmental year in all reality and HOPE that GMDP doesn't tinker with bringing in rentals for a glimmer of a playoff hope this season. Kids need to play high roles and lead...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.