HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Back from Juan induced blackout (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16163)

pblc 10-01-2003 07:17 PM

Back from Juan induced blackout

Ah.......finally back to the land of the living.........or in this case back to the land of electrical power. For many in the Halifax/Dartmouth area of Nova Scotia (as well as many others in Nova Scotia and PEI, who were in Juans path).....power is coming on and life is slowly returning to normal. I just got my power back at 11:45 Wednesday night after having lost it about the same time Sunday night. Many of you in the more hurricaine prone areas of the U.S. are used to this but up here in the great white north we were quite surprised by it (even though this year I wouldn't call it the great white north so far.......as temperatures have remained uncharacteristically summer like into October).

I am no expert on hurricaines....but the local weather prognosticators say it was a category 1 (though some have said a category 2) hurricaine......but supposedly had the destructive force of a category 3........don't know what that really boils down to, but I can tell you that I don't want to go through that again. Supposedly its been 40 + years since a storm of that intensity has been this way. I've never felt my house shake like it did during the storm and I kept expecting the roof to blow off (and not in a good.....party type of way).....but we personally escaped relatively unscathed.........a huge tree in our backyard fell but, luckily nowhere near our house.

But unfortunately many others were not so lucky..........trees are down everywhere......power poles are twisted and snapped like toothpicks all over the place............many people have a lot of property damage. Very unfortunately 3 people died as a direct result of the storm...one of them a paramedic who was acting in the line of duty, and helping others when he was killed.....and a mother and two of her children died in a tragic fire which may (though it is not yet confirmed) have been caused by using a candle for light during the after math of the hurricaine.

The Canadian military has 600 or 800 (I can't remember the exact number) troops out helping with the cleanup.........and I give high praise to all of the linesmen (and women) from Nova Scotia Power, and for those brought in from Quebec, New Brunswick......and Maine..for the hard work they have put in to help get power restored. So if any of you out there fall into that category....or know of someone who does........it is appreciated.

Anyway sorry for rambling.......as I'm sure many of you out there are used to much more severe weather.....but it was quite the experience.......and one I don't really wish to go through again.

Its good to be back in the world of the powered..and informed.......I have quite a lot of reading to do over the next little while to catch up with what I've missed over the last few days. Hope everyone else out there in the storm affected area is doing o.k.........and I'll be saying a prayer or two for those killed by the storm and their families.

Once again..sorry for rambling....

Take care.

Gee Wally 10-02-2003 01:26 AM

welcome back...

I watched it on the weather channel...looked pretty ugly..

HockeyGoddess 10-02-2003 01:43 AM

Welcome back, caper! Glad you and yours made it through Juan's wrath... my thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones...