HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Trade with Link [FLA/VAN] R. Luongo (15% Retained)+S. Anthony to FLA for J. Markstrom+S. Matthias II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1616803)

Beef Invictus 03-04-2014 04:58 PM

[FLA/VAN] R. Luongo (15% Retained)+S. Anthony to FLA for J. Markstrom+S. Matthias II

Continue here!

Part I

Starbuds 03-04-2014 05:40 PM

There was the hockey before this trade. There is the hockey after this trade. It will be remembered as such.

RewBicks 03-04-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syan Ruter (Post 80984533)
...Is everyone saying post-trade. You're saying that Lack is elite because you don't have neither Schneider nor Luongo now. Last year I remember a lot of Nucks fans talking about moving Lack since he wasn't panning out. So when did Lack start "projecting to be better than Schneider?"

Who the hell ever said that? I've NEVER heard anyone say that. Consensus has been that he absolutely beat Lu out for the starting job this year, and that he's been a high pedigree goaltender coming up through the system for years now. His AHL performance has been neck and neck with Schneider's.

AddMan3001 03-04-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Preston (Post 80984319)
Wow.. that potential recapture penalty to the Canucks.

How is that going to work? Reading about them is making me cross-eyed, and the retained salary angle isn't making it any easier to comprehend. Seems like it depends on when he retires, how long he plays for Florida before retiring, and about 47 other variables.

alpine4life 03-04-2014 05:41 PM

:amazed:

WOW!! that was unexpected... hopefully Markstrom will get back to the level he was once projected!!

gdaddy21 03-04-2014 05:41 PM

Gillis is a regular Sutter

Jersey Fresh 03-04-2014 05:42 PM

I just keep picturing someone proposing this deal on the trade board...and then I laugh.

KingKopitar11* 03-04-2014 05:42 PM

I dont know much about these prospects. are they any good?

rypper 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RewBicks (Post 80985081)
Who the hell ever said that? I've NEVER heard anyone say that. Consensus has been that he absolutely beat Lu out for the starting job this year, and that he's been a high pedigree goaltender coming up through the system for years now. His AHL performance has been neck and neck with Schneider's.

COULD.NOT.AGREE.MORE.

I Challenge anyone to back and find evidence of ANY canuck fan saying that.

Sarcastic 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

See you guys next year for Lack/Markstrom!

LickTheEnvelope 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddMan3001 (Post 80985103)
How is that going to work? Reading about them is making me cross-eyed, and the retained salary angle isn't making it any easier to comprehend. Seems like it depends on when he retires, how long he plays for Florida before retiring, and about 47 other variables.

Yes.

If you want cliff notes on 'the likely' the Canucks take $800k/year until he retires and if he retires when Luongo's salary goes down the Canucks are at about $2.8mil for 4 years, Florida at about $1.2 mil during that time.

HABS win CUPS* 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

Man wtf is gonna happen next with Vancouver what kind of playoff record does Lack have?

Tiranis 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RewBicks (Post 80985081)

No kidding. If anything, there has been a small contingent of fans who thought Lack would be better than both. The rest thought he had the potential to be a starter. Hell, most people predicted that Lack would create a repeat of the situation with Schneider and Luongo. And yup, he did.

GKJ 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

If anyone proposed this trade, Canucks fans would've hung you by your toes.

Bieber fever 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

im glad for luongo

Kimota 03-04-2014 05:44 PM

Wonder what will Don Cherry say about this.

gdaddy21 03-04-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 80985487)

'tis so true

LickTheEnvelope 03-04-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 (Post 80985317)
I dont know much about these prospects. are they any good?

Matthias isn't a prospect he's basically an okay 3rd line center whose big.

Markstrom was supposed to be the best goalie outside the NHL for a while... but has been quite bad the last couple seasons.

Also Markstrom and current Canuck 'starter' Eddie Lack were a 1/2 in Brynas in the SEL + Canuck AHL starter Joakim Eriksson also came out of that system.

WinterEmpire 03-04-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Please don't paint us all with the same brush

Reality Check 03-04-2014 05:45 PM

Vancouver went from Luongo or Schneider to neither in a span of a year :laugh:

This Canucks era are officially in that class of teams good enough to win a cup but just never could get it done.

Ventana* 03-04-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Lol no. I would have been happy with a 7th at this point.

TOML 03-04-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS (Post 80985419)
Man wtf is gonna happen next with Vancouver

Non-Sedin core dumped. Full-on rebuild.

After that, they should probably start drafting some highly effective players. They've rarely been able to do so throughout their history.

nowhereman 03-04-2014 05:46 PM

What's up with everyone ragging on this trade? Vancouver wasn't going to keep Luongo around long-term (if they could help it) and the team is clearly throwing in the towel on this year and the next few years. They get a young goalie and a third-line centre back and, if the rumours are correct, will be looking to offload a few more of their stars.

Last year, people were claiming that Vancouver would have been happy with TO's two seconds. Now they're saying that Gillis didn't get enough...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS (Post 80985419)
Man wtf is gonna happen next with Vancouver what kind of playoff record does Lack have?

Playoffs? What playoffs?

Next up, they'll trade Kesler and Edler and then it's McDavid/Eichel here we come!

Bo Hunter 03-04-2014 05:46 PM

Ooooh (Sir?) Shaun Matthias II?

I didn't know he had such a regal name.

Homegrown Kings 03-04-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh (Post 80985247)
I just keep picturing someone proposing this deal on the trade board...and then I laugh.

:laugh: That thread would have been locked quickly, I bet, yet here we are.

I'm not shocked he got moved, given the Heritage Classic, his desire to return to Florida, and the seemingly endless saga that went on the previous season(s)... yet it still feels hard to believe it's finally happened.

Happy for Luongo to be free of all of this. He might never win a Cup, but he's got two Olympic Gold, and can play out his career where his heart is.

Interested to see what comes next... what will the Thomas-Luongo dynamic be, and does this signal the start of a full rebuild of the Canucks?