HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Forsberg is a down to earth guy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=161865)

SChan* 08-12-2005 11:31 AM

Forsberg is a down to earth guy
 
Quote:

From Flyersphans forum:

From today's PDN. Sorry if posted already

The King and Us

Forsberg regarded royally, wherever he's been

By DANA PENNETT O'NEIL

oneild@phillynews.com

THE STORY GOES that in 1994, the tiny seaport town of Ornskoldsvik was celebrating its 100th anniversary, and the Swedish king and his family were coming for a visit.

The king planned a stop at a school, and the schoolchildren, hearing that the king was coming to visit, flocked to see him. Only when they saw their reigning monarch, the children walked away disappointed.

One child, voicing the displeasure of all, said, "Oh, it is that king. Our king is Forsberg.''

Urban tale? Swedish myth? Perhaps. But that is the level of hero worship afforded the man who on Monday will don a Flyers sweater for the television cameras' bright lights and the fans' delight.

Peter Forsberg, considered one of the best, if not the best, hockey players in the world, is more than just a hockey star. He is adored and beloved in Sweden, admired in Denver and respected universally.

"Hey, look, I never want to badmouth anybody, but a few that they've had in Philadelphia, let's just say they were concerned about their own powers, their own abilities,'' said Vancouver coach Marc Crawford, who coached Forsberg in his first four NHL seasons. "They're getting a guy now who is a treat to play with, a treat to be around. It's almost poetic justice that he ends up there.''

The joy Forsberg will bring to Philadelphia - the organization he signed a 2-year, $11.5 million deal with last week - is matched only by the disappointment felt in Denver, where he played eight seasons and fans were nothing short of devastated when the news broke that he was leaving the Colorado Avalanche.

"No one is going to replace the name of Forsberg,'' one dejected fan told the Denver Post.

He was a beloved sports star there - a love affair certainly born in part thanks to the two Stanley Cups he hoisted while in town - but it was more than that. It would be sacrilege to put Forsberg on the same plane as Colorado's first son, John Elway, but he was only a rung or so below on the ladder.

"When the news first came out, there was an emotional reaction from fans and from us within the organization,'' said Jean Martineau, the Avalanche senior vice president for communications and team services, who has known Forsberg for his entire NHL career. "He's been a great athlete here for a very long time, and everyone was so attached to that guy.

"Everyone understood that the landscape we were facing, that we did what we could do to keep him, but sure there was an emotional reaction.''

As talented as he is, as colossal as his career has been, Forsberg has won fans because he does not tote the requisite superstar mantle of arrogance around with him. Coaches who have known him since his teen years and acquaintances who have met him only recently always say the same thing about the 32-year-old - he is an ordinary Joe stuck in an extraordinary athlete's body.

...

Forsberg's star caught the fast track in '93, when he led all scorers with 31 points in the world championships and found its permanent place in the heavens in '94.

At the Olympics that year in Lillehammer, the 20-year-old Forsberg scored the game-winning goal in a shootout against Canada to lift Sweden to its first Olympic gold medal.

It was no ordinary goal, but rather a juke to the left and shift to the right bit of artistry that broke a tension-filled 2-2 tie on the fifth penalty shot and became Sweden's own miracle on ice, remembered forever in a rendering on a Swedish postage stamp.

"That was the goal, not the player,'' said Kent Forsberg, who obviously bestowed his humility on his youngest son.

Tell that to the Swedes.

In a country famous for Absolut, Abba and Elin (as in Tiger Woods' wife), it is a hockey player who has been given the nickname Magic Boy. Forsberg's father scoffs at the comparison to Michael Jordan, but, really, Forsberg is as big in Sweden as Jordan is here.

After only 1 year in the NHL, a biography, appropriately titled "Magic Boy,'' was published. A revised edition was distributed following his 1996 Stanley Cup championship. Author Hasse Andersson said it sold about 30,000 copies in Sweden.

...

Throw in the mix his generous spirit - he and Naslund head a charity in Sweden, Icebreakers, to help families with educational or medical needs; he's helping to finance a $23 million hockey arena in Ornskoldsvik and already built a $5 million golf course there; he volunteered to visit Columbine High School after the shootings there, and his Step Right Up for Kids program in Denver endeared him to countless civic and charitable organizations - and Forsberg needs only a pretty red bow to complete the perfect package.

"He is special,'' Melinder said. "He's standing on the ground with both feet, or however you say it. He's thankful, grateful for everything he has, loves to give young players advice. He's real, a real person.''
nice article

octopi 08-12-2005 02:38 PM

Hey, they didn't tell the(apparently true) story about when he was 8, scored 7 goals for his team and came home crying because his team still lost by a goal.

Flyman 08-12-2005 05:40 PM

Excellent article! :clap:

The Kingslayer 08-13-2005 12:50 AM

From all my years of watching him play I can honestly say I have never seen anyone more willing to win a game than Foppa. Sure alot of players talk about giving it all they got, but Forsberg actually does....Its a shame that so many people bad mouth the guy...I dont know many players who lost a body part to the game.

Original6 08-13-2005 01:30 AM

Most hockey players seem down to earth. It's one of the few qualities that are good about the NHL over all the other professional sports. Actions speak volumes.

MLB: Kenny Rogers
NBA: Ron Artest
NFL: Terell Owens/Ricky Williams

Note: JR did talk some smack but atleast he appologiezed and moved on. Can't say the same for the other 3(Kenny rogers appology wasn't sincere).

The Kingslayer 08-13-2005 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHockey
Most hockey players seem down to earth. It's one of the few qualities that are good about the NHL over all the other professional sports. Actions speak volumes.

MLB: Kenny Rogers
NBA: Ron Artest
NFL: Terell Owens/Ricky Williams

Note: JR did talk some smack but atleast he appologiezed and moved on. Can't say the same for the other 3(Kenny rogers appology wasn't sincere).

Great list...I would add Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Dennis Rodman, Everyone who does steroids in baseball so 80% of the players, and how could I forget good ole Randy Moss to the list. Hockey players are great role models.... better than pop corn celebs and pot smoking football players(Mr.Williams)

Original6 08-13-2005 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Great list...I would add Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Dennis Rodman, Everyone who does steroids in baseball so 80% of the players, and how could I forget good ole Randy Moss to the list. Hockey players are great role models.... better than pop corn celebs and pot smoking football players(Mr.Williams)

Yea I could added more, i.e Vince Carter, but I didn't feel the need.

On a side note:

Contraversy = ESPN attention = Face always on tv = money.
Down with ESPN!!!

Aerolanche 08-13-2005 01:59 AM

Off topic: That article reminded of the story that the color commentator said on NHL 98... :yo:

Peter comes home from a game as a child and he is crying. His mother asks him what the score was, he said they lost 9-8. His mom then asked him how many goals he scored. He replied, "*sniff*, 8."

This guy has been a winner since Peewee.

Masao 08-13-2005 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vapor
Peter comes home from a game as a child and he is crying. His mother asks him what the score was, he said they lost 9-8. His mom then asked him how many goals he scored. He replied, "*sniff*, 8."

This guy has been a winner since Peewee.

I think a more plausible theory was that he was crying because his team was entirely made up of morons...

fcbarcelona 08-13-2005 02:18 AM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

RoyIsALegend* 08-13-2005 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vapor
Off topic: That article reminded of the story that the color commentator said on NHL 98... :yo:

Peter comes home from a game as a child and he is crying. His mother asks him what the score was, he said they lost 9-8. His mom then asked him how many goals he scored. He replied, "*sniff*, 8."

This guy has been a winner since Peewee.

I read this exact same story except it was 10-9 and the person was Wayne Gretzky, not Peter Forsberg.

It was from the Gretzky auto-biography book from the late 90s.

Weird.

An Ape called Yoko 08-13-2005 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I read this exact same story except it was 10-9 and the person was Wayne Gretzky, not Peter Forsberg.

It was from the Gretzky auto-biography book from the late 90s.

Weird.

Yes, its the same story and both true. Although I think it was Forsbergs father who asked what the score was and how many goals he did.

Gert B Frobe 08-13-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHockey
Most hockey players seem down to earth. It's one of the few qualities that are good about the NHL over all the other professional sports. Actions speak volumes.

MLB: Kenny Rogers
NBA: Ron Artest
NFL: Terell Owens/Ricky Williams

Note: JR did talk some smack but atleast he appologiezed and moved on. Can't say the same for the other 3(Kenny rogers appology wasn't sincere).

there are some bad guys in hockey - although not nearly as many as in the other major sports:

Marty McSorley, Bertuzzi, Kevin Stevens to name a few... NHLers are not all sweethearts but yes - they are far better than most pro athletes IMO..

octopi 08-13-2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ape called Yoko
Yes, its the same story and both true. Although I think it was Forsbergs father who asked what the score was and how many goals he did.

Gretzky's game was 9-8, Forsberg's was 8-7 .

Petey21 08-13-2005 05:49 PM

The biography Magic Boy isn't available in English that I know of, but there's an unofficial (and unfinished) translation of it on this site, it has some stuff like that from his childhood in it, it's worth checking out! :)

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~tesheu/peter.htm

Tampa GM 08-14-2005 04:10 PM

Cant believe that my translation of Magic Boy is still out there. I cant even remember how many years it has been since I did this.

ObeySteve 08-14-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHockey
NFL: Terell Owens/Ricky Williams

Don't you think it's a bit unfair to put Ricky on the same level as all these other guys? Maybe he didn't show dedication to his team, but he isn't a jerk and seems like a genuinely nice person who is just misunderstood.

Mojopin 08-14-2005 06:23 PM

Sorry to get off topic, but........What does the nickname Foppa mean? :confused:

Mojopin 08-14-2005 06:55 PM

Just found out. It's a nickname for people named Forsberg in Sweden i.e. Smith = Smitty. Thanks anyway.

Rails 08-14-2005 07:01 PM

Its just a play on his surname.

Like Jonesy for Jones

Holly Golightly 08-14-2005 09:06 PM

"Foppa"
 
Hello Everyone. Geetings from the Mile High City. ;) As you can see, this is my first post on these boards. Although I have been a "lurker" for quite sometime.

I just wanted to say "Congratulations" to all you Flyer fans. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but Pete is an amazing player as well as a wonderful person. He has made significant contributions off the ice here in Denver with all of his charitable work, and I'm sure you will see that side of him in Philadelphia as well. All of us here in Denver have taken his leaving rather hard. But I am happy for you folks in Philly. And if it's OK with you guys, this Denver girl will be a frequent visitor to the Flyer part of the HF Boards to check up on Pete. Again hoping that is all OK with you guys.

And by the way, "Foppa" means "Magic Boy".

bling 08-14-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remy
Hello Everyone. Geetings from the Mile High City. ;) As you can see, this is my first post on these boards. Although I have been a "lurker" for quite sometime.

I just wanted to say "Congratulations" to all you Flyer fans. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but Pete is an amazing player as well as a wonderful person. He has made significant contributions off the ice here in Denver with all of his charitable work, and I'm sure you will see that side of him in Philadelphia as well. All of us here in Denver have taken his leaving rather hard. But I am happy for you folks in Philly. And if it's OK with you guys, this Denver girl will be a frequent visitor to the Flyer part of the HF Boards to check up on Pete. Again hoping that is all OK with you guys.

And by the way, "Foppa" means "Magic Boy".

Well wasn't that sweet and completely uninformed. Foppa does not mean magic boy or anything else for that matter, it is only a nickname for Forsberg, in the same sense as Smitty is a nickname for Smith. Where people get that bizarre notion it means anything else is beyond me.

Flyer fans, please do not judge all Foppa fans or Avs fans on the ignorant few who pop in here and spread their idiocy.

Mojopin 08-14-2005 09:40 PM

Thanks Remy. I'm new too, and pleasantly surprised by the civility on this message board. Maybe people are just nicer outside of Philly!

Mojopin 08-14-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bling
Well wasn't that sweet and completely uninformed. Foppa does not mean magic boy or anything else for that matter, it is only a nickname for Forsberg, in the same sense as Smitty is a nickname for Smith. Where people get that bizarre notion it means anything else is beyond me.

Flyer fans, please do not judge all Foppa fans or Avs fans on the ignorant few who pop in here and spread their idiocy.



Except for this guy.

bling 08-14-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojopin
Except for this guy.

Yup, I guess because sweet little Remy is a girl we should ignore the fact she is misinformed and not only misinformed but spreading her misinformation?

As an Avs fan and a Forsberg fan I get judged right along with silly little girls who claim bad information as fact. As posted above the true meaning of Foppa is not "magic boy". That is the name of a book about his early years. Somehow that book title has been confused with Peter's nickname.

You asked the question and got the right answer earlier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.