HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Who should Sens next coach be? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1619029)

chipsens 03-06-2014 03:59 PM

Who should Sens next coach be?

Given the no-show performance since the Olympic break, and questionable line combos, who do you think would make a good replacement for coach MacLean?

Do Make Say Think 03-06-2014 04:00 PM

Nobody

He ain't going nowhere after one bad year

Slow Hands 03-06-2014 04:02 PM

One bad year doesn't necessitate a coaching change

Kezia 03-06-2014 04:03 PM

As annoying as Maclean has been, he wont be fired.

2 good years. 1 bad year. He's done more good than bad.

robsenz 03-06-2014 04:07 PM

Let's start a "Hire Paul McClone" Campaign. We were ok last year right?

Laoghaire 03-06-2014 04:20 PM

I wish we could get rid of Melnyk's crony, Cameron and find some magical way to bring Richardson up as an Assistant.

jbeck5 03-06-2014 04:22 PM

Once Richardson's daughter finishes uni he would probably be asked if he wants to come back up to assistant again.

White Goodman 03-06-2014 04:31 PM

Peter Lav.

Tundraman 03-06-2014 04:49 PM

You are showing your age and old team affiliation with the generational options you've proposed. I'd like an "Other" and Jaques Martin on the list. I choose Martin and yes I know I'm showing my age too :)

pt_mck 03-06-2014 04:52 PM

Whats the average tenure of a coach? 3-4 years?

Qward 03-06-2014 04:54 PM

Laviolette turned the Flyers from a bottom dweller to challenge for the cup.

Running out of time.

chipsens 03-06-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraman (Post 81229865)
You are showing your age and old team affiliation with the generational options you've proposed. I'd like an "Other" and Jaques Martin on the list. I choose Martin and yes I know I'm showing my age too :)

Actually, I'm a reformed Bruins fan :) I was going to add Don Cherry to the list but...

Golden_Jet 03-06-2014 04:58 PM

Same coach new assistants

SenatorArmy* 03-06-2014 05:06 PM

Daniel Alfredsson

danielpalfredsson 03-06-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenatorArmy (Post 81230711)
Daniel Alfredsson

I'd love this, but if Alfie wants to coach he should be a man and do what Patrick Roy did which was buy a CHL team to coach for a few years first in order to pay his dues.

I'm not the biggest hockey expert. So can someone explain to me what is wrong with Jacques Martin as a coach? Wasn't he with Ottawa during one of their most successful periods? I know they couldn't win the big one during that period.

Caeldan 03-06-2014 05:14 PM

Hitchcock's term in St Louis will probably end mid next season based on his pattern... I wouldn't mind seeing him here a couple years to get some defense drilled into the kids.

Maybe a mid season swap next year when both teams have tuned out their coaches.

Caeldan 03-06-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson (Post 81230967)
I'd love this, but if Alfie wants to coach he should be a man and do what Patrick Roy did which was buy a CHL team to coach for a few years first in order to pay his dues.

I'm not the biggest hockey expert. So can someone explain to me what is wrong with Jacques Martin as a coach? Wasn't he with Ottawa during one of their most successful periods? I know they couldn't win the big one during that period.

And that's exactly the problem. He taught a good trap /counter attack that worked in the regular season but once refs swallow their whistles in the post season, we had no passion for that extra gear and would get run over.

ChocolateLeclaire 03-06-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 81230071)
Laviolette turned the Flyers from a bottom dweller to challenge for the cup.

Running out of time.

Laviollette is a good coach. But will he accept a job in a market where coaches are run out of town ONE YEAR after winning the Jack Adams?

Prior to Maclean, Ottawa had developed a reputation as the city of coach killers. People have short memories and are forgetting how the team was shredded in the media and hockey analysts for the carousel of coaches we went through before we brought some stability in with Maclean.

You fire Maclean, and experienced coaches are going to avoid Ottawa like the plague.

Caeldan 03-06-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire (Post 81231155)
Laviollette is a good coach. But will he accept a job in a market where coaches are run out of town ONE YEAR after winning the Jack Adams?

Prior to Maclean, Ottawa had developed a reputation as the city of coach killers. People have short memories and are forgetting how the team was shredded in the media and hockey analysts for the carousel of coaches we went through before we brought some stability in with Maclean.

You fire Maclean, and experienced coaches are going to avoid Ottawa like the plague.

That "carousel of coaches" was three guys in three seasons (2007, 2008, 2009) with BM filling in the gap for part of a season. Hartsburg, Paddock and Clouston. And I don't think either have worked in the league again since? And only two of those were actually fired, Clouston just wasn't renewed.

L'Aveuglette 03-06-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire (Post 81231155)

All of those coaches that went through the carousel sucked. Clouston, Hartsburg...Paddock? Yeesh. The real problem is the guy picking them, not the players if you ask me. Not that having Spezza as your 1st line center(and captain now, ouch) helps much but still.

mcnorth 03-06-2014 05:24 PM

Not the right time at all for a change. It has been a disappointing season and there's plenty of blame for everyone involved from the top on down. Need to give these problems more time b/c frankly, we don't know if they're just right now problems or no solution problems. Young players haven't improved quickly enough and vets declined more sharply than expected. That's actually a more common scenario in pro sports than everything working out perfectly according to plan and expectations. If we fire the coach, it'll probably feel even more like we're on a treadmill than it already does... and then we'll be *****ing about how we keep going through coaches. Time to be patient, as much as we don't want to (and believe me, I don't want to), because MacLean has shown in his time here that there is something to him and I think he's the best coach we've had since Murray and Martin. He's not perfect, and this season has been his worst, but he did a great job last season and was great against the NYR and Canadiens in the play-offs.

playasRus 03-06-2014 05:38 PM

Change PP coach is only thing I want.

How does a team with EK, Spezza and Ryan struggle on the PP????

Emerica 03-06-2014 06:15 PM

Keep MacLean. This organization needs stability. You can't fire a guy because he's had one bad year.

This fanbase. So ****ing annoying.

FlyingJ 03-06-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think (Post 81227303)
Nobody

He ain't going nowhere after one bad year

Agreed. Though his decisions are troubling. IMO, a message needs to be sent. Fire an assistant, ideally Cameron (though Melnyk will likely protect him at all costs), and replace him with Richardson. Murray should then sit down MacLean and the remaining assistant in the off season and tear them a new one and make it clear this kind of d*uchebaggery will not be tolerated again.

Nac Mac Feegle 03-06-2014 06:44 PM

Whenever we make a change, I want a Marty McHardass. Either that, or bring in some guys who play hard every night and have some heart.

Too many guys on this team take a lot of days off and only show up when there's a chance of being traded away from the country club or the fans/media screams get too loud. Could let that slide 20+ years ago when competition and salaries were different, but not today. When you're paid millions, you show up every game.

All that said, I would rather see Maclean stick around for at least another season or two. His line changes are a pain, but there's only so much he can do with a group that simply doesn't compete.