HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Hockey Players and Car Accidents (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16193)

paul99 10-02-2003 01:45 AM

Hockey Players and Car Accidents

Every day there are major accidents on NA and russian roads around the world. I wonder if there are more accidents amoung the hockey players. Here is a short list of all stars I remember having seriuous accident:

Michel Briere, 1971, a young and talented Pittsburgh prospect. He died.

Valeri Kharlamov, 1981, died in a major accident in Moscow. He doesn't need presentation.

Guy Lafleur had a major accident in 1981, following a party in Montreal. Lucky, he was no seriously injured.

Pelle Lindberg, died in 1984 ( in New York?). He recorded the most wins in NHL that year for the Flyers. He was to become a great star.

Reed Larson. He was selected at the annual All Star Game at his first three years in NHL with Detroit. Surely the best American player at this time. He had a seriuous car acident in 1988 and had nervs afflicted in his left harm. He left NHL the same year for Italia.

Slava Koslov. He had a serious car accident 10 years ago in Russia. His friend was killed in this acident. Playing for Atlanta, he may be some moral help to Heatly.

Vladimir Konstantinov, a solid Wings D man, had a major accident ( he was not driving), after having celebrated the Stanley Cup win in 1997.

Igor Grigorenko. Surely the best Detroit prospect till he had a serious accident last spring in Russia, driveing his Mercedes. He almost lost his live following the surgery. He should play in NHL for we don't know how he will be effected.

Jonothan Girard. This young Boston D man had an important car accident last July in Quebec Province. He was still in hospital last week.

And now Heatly and Snyder.

EDIT: Steve Chiasson, a Carolina Hurricanes D man, also died in May 1999, after a season-ending party.

You can surely add more names to this list.

Should NHL authorities improve its car driving awareness program?

john g 10-02-2003 01:54 AM

Wasnt it MacTavish that killed someone, in another car or walking, when he played with the B's?

Other Dave 10-02-2003 02:00 AM

Robyn Regehr was involved in a serious accident in 1999. He was driving but it wasn't his fault; he was hit head on by a car that had drifted over the center line. Two people were killed in that accident.

Other Dave

BCCHL inactive 10-02-2003 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Dave
Robyn Regehr was involved in a serious accident in 1999. He was driving but it wasn't his fault; he was hit head on by a car that had drifted over the center line. Two people were killed in that accident.

Other Dave

Regehr broke both of his legs in that accident.

Herb Brooks just recently. Fell asleep at the wheel while not wearing a seatbelt.

Vlad The Impaler 10-02-2003 02:36 AM

George Laraque was in a car accident as well. It was a year ago, maybe? I think he injured his arm in that one.

andora 10-02-2003 02:43 AM

a year already? .. jeez.. time flies.. i thought that was just this spring..

justapantherfan 10-02-2003 02:46 AM

Worrel was in one last year. granted it wasn't bad it still happened. It was his fault (DUI) and it was a hit and run (He Ran) and the guy chased him down.

Vlad The Impaler 10-02-2003 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora's box
a year already? .. jeez.. time flies.. i thought that was just this spring..

Please don't trust me. I have a bad, warped memory except when it comes to on-ice hockey performances :p

It could have happened a month ago and I wouldn't even be surprised.

Motown Beatdown 10-02-2003 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=paul99]
Vladimir Konstantinov, a solid Wings D man, had a major accident ( he was not driving), after having celebrated the Stanley Cup win in 1997.

QUOTE]

Is that what we call Norris Caliber D-men now? Solid?

Fetisov was also in the limo with Vladdy

Also, Jesse Wallin who was a prospect with Detroit was in a serious car crash after training camp with the Wings. I think it was 1998.

andora 10-02-2003 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Please don't trust me. I have a bad, warped memory except when it comes to on-ice hockey performances :p

It could have happened a month ago and I wouldn't even be surprised.

i shouldn't be trusted either.. for reasons cited by yourself...

please.. anyone.. link ? :p... (i really don't care)

Upon1 10-02-2003 03:03 AM

Didn't Teemu Selanne have a pretty big car crash in Finland a few years ago. Don't know if it was that bad or if Teemu was injured but from memory it was big news at the time.

BROADSTREETBULLY 10-02-2003 03:14 AM

[QUOTE=paul99
Pelle Lindberg, died in 1984 ( in New York?). He recorded the most wins in NHL that year for the Flyers. He was to become a great star.

?[/QUOTE]
..I was young but i thought it happened in new jersey....

Other Dave 10-02-2003 03:19 AM

Good memory. Selanne hit another car training for a rally race in 1999:

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyAnaheimArchive/nov19_sel.html

Fedorov was not hurt when he wrapped *his* Ferrari around a tree this summer:

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/stori...62103049.shtml

Anaheim winger Shawn Antoski suffered depressed skull fracture that ended his career in a single-car accident. (no link)

Other Dave

YellHockey* 10-02-2003 03:58 AM

Jeff O'Neill was in an accident early in his NHL career that totalled his car.

Vlad The Impaler 10-02-2003 04:13 AM

Vaananen was in a car accident, hurt his knee and missed time.

Found a link: http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0204/1503771.html

There are lots of others I don't remember but will try to track. The number of car accidents involving NHLers is freaky.

John Flyers Fan 10-02-2003 04:59 AM

Claude Lapointe was just involved in a car accident this week, wrecked his new car. Didn't get injured in the accident. Then later in the week as he was walking down the steps in his home he tripped and sprained an ankle.

Not a good week for Claude.

wazee 10-02-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upon1
Didn't Teemu Selanne have a pretty big car crash in Finland a few years ago. Don't know if it was that bad or if Teemu was injured but from memory it was big news at the time.

Selanne has had a couple accidents while driving in rallies. A Denver reporter interviewed him about the Heatley accident.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...669927,00.html

I thought this comment was interesting.

Behind the wheel of a Ferrari, Selanne said, it's easy to believe you're more in control than you are.
"Those cars are unbelievable. You kind of lose reality of how fast they go," he said. "You might be going 80 miles an hour, but it can feel like you're going 20.
"I just hope they recover. It's terrible what happened."

onearmedbandit14 10-02-2003 05:16 AM

So many Detroit players. We miss you Vlad! Some of my all-time favorite moments are of Vladdy with the team after winning the Cup in 1998 and 2002. Gives me the shivers as I type this.

paul99 10-02-2003 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=JWI19]
Quote:

Originally Posted by paul99

QUOTE]

Is that what we call Norris Caliber D-men now? Solid?

Fetisov was also in the limo with Vladdy

Also, Jesse Wallin who was a prospect with Detroit was in a serious car crash after training camp with the Wings. I think it was 1998.

J19, when we write about Russians, we always have to take care because some readers are very fast to fire us, screaming words like «russophile» and so on. This is the context where I wrote « solid ». But you don't know how much I loved this guy and was si hurted when he had this accident.

Dr Love 10-02-2003 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul99

1986 on his way on the way home in NJ. He was the 1985 Vezina winner, and took the Flyers to the Finals that year.

Tim Horton died in a single car crash, Steve Chiasson as well.

Teemu 10-02-2003 04:45 PM

i seem to remember a SJ Sharks prospect dieing in a car accident in austria or something a few years back

paul99 10-02-2003 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu08
i seem to remember a SJ Sharks prospect dieing in a car accident in austria or something a few years back

You are right, it was Zoltan Batovsky, a 22 year old right wing.

As one already wrote, the numbers are simply incredible!

Yayo 10-02-2003 05:22 PM

Don't forget the Joe Sakic incident when he was playing for the Swift Current Broncos of the WHL...a number of his teammates were killed in that accident...

Trottier 10-02-2003 05:40 PM

Bob Gasoff, Blues dman of the 70s, killed on his motorcycle.

Wasn't Tony Twist's career cut short by a motorcycle accident?

Blatny Spears 10-02-2003 05:56 PM

Not an NHLer (yet,) but I'm surprised no one's mentioned Igor Grigorenko.