HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: No. 30 in MSG Rafters (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1621505)

Joey Bones 03-10-2014 02:45 PM

No. 30 in MSG Rafters

He is a Vezina Trophy winner, an NHL All Star, and about to surpass Ed Giacomin in all-time Rangers history of goaltending. When he retires does anyone else think his name and number will be inducted to the rafters at MSG?

Does winning the Stanley Cup help his chances?

Mithrandir 03-10-2014 02:47 PM

Yes, his number will be retired. Yes winning a cup would make the case even stronger, but it's already highly likely.

Infinitum Vitae* 03-10-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Bones (Post 81438853)
He is a Vezina Trophy winner, an NHL All Star, and about to surpass Ed Giacomin in all-time Rangers history of goaltending. When he retires does anyone else think his name and number will be inducted to the rafters at MSG?

If he wins the cup he'll go down as the best NYR goalie IMO

Bleed Ranger Blue 03-10-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone stole hank (Post 81438961)
If he wins the cup he'll go down as the best NYR goal IMO

He should go down as that anyway.

1 man will never win a Stanley Cup.

HockeyBasedNYC 03-10-2014 02:48 PM

IF the Rangers ever win a cup, more than just #30 will go up.

But i think he's a lock to have his number retired whether they win one or not.

Never saw Eddie play but as far as im concerned hes the most talented Ranger goalie of all time. I thought that pretty early on in his career.

AK2794 03-10-2014 02:48 PM

I think he has his number retired even if he doesn't deliver a cup.

EpicDing 03-10-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 81438985)
IF the Rangers ever win a cup, more than just #30 will go up.

But i think he's a lock to have his number retired whether they win one or not.

Never saw Eddie play but as far as im concerned hes the most talented Ranger goalie of all time. I thought that pretty early on in his career.

I could see 27 in the rafters as well if we win. 30 will be up there regardless.

CHGoalie27 03-10-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Bones (Post 81438853)

Cup or no cup, he's going. Not even a debate.

As far as the others? I don't know. Hank has shown the one-man-show highlight machine like Richter, statistical consistency of Leetch, the marquee value of Messier, and the fan favorite status of Graves.

Can't really say that for anyone else, even McD. Cally might've have been, but now...

Crease 03-10-2014 02:55 PM

Gunna run out of goalie numbers. What's left, 31, 34 and a bunch of unorthodox options?

Kane One 03-10-2014 02:57 PM

A Stanley Cup obviously helps, but his number is getting retired no matter what. Probably during a Rangers-Devils game.

Raspewtin 03-10-2014 03:00 PM

His number will absolutely be retired.

I also see a HOF induction in his future. Just me, though.

CHGoalie27 03-10-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicDing (Post 81439167)
I could see 27 in the rafters as well if we win. 30 will be up there regardless.

http://russkiyhockey.files.wordpress...2/kovalev3.jpg

CHGoalie27 03-10-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raspewtin (Post 81439745)
His number will absolutely be retired.

I also see a HOF induction in his future. Just me, though.

You know it!

Chief 03-10-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 (Post 81439353)
Cup or no cup, he's going. Not even a debate.

As far as the others? I don't know. Hank has shown the one-man-show highlight machine like Richter, statistical consistency of Leetch, the marquee value of Messier, and the fan favorite status of Graves.

Can't really say that for anyone else, even McD. Cally might've have been, but now...

It would be nice if Hank played his best hockey in the playoffs.

If he plays as inconsistently as he has this season, for the rest of his career and has no Cup, then his # shouldn't be retired.

OverTheCap 03-10-2014 03:12 PM

No doubt he will have his number retired, cup or no cup. In all likelihood he will be the all-time leader in wins and shutouts by a pretty significant margin.

nyr2k2 03-10-2014 03:17 PM

It will happen, no doubt.

Winning a Cup would only resolve the "Richter or Lundqvist" argument, nothing more.

mrjimmyg89 03-10-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone stole hank (Post 81438961)
If he wins the cup he'll go down as the best NYR goalie IMO

I'll fix this for you. He'll be the greatest Ranger ever if that happens. I can only hope. He'd be greater than Leetch and I know that may be tough for some here, but I think it would be true.

PlamsUnlimited 03-10-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 81439427)
Gunna run out of goalie numbers. What's left, 31, 34 and a bunch of unorthodox options?

I've always liked 43. Since watching Biron when I was a small child. It's t goalie number I use now and it's a unique number IMO

CHGoalie27 03-10-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 81440121)

If he plays as inconsistently as he has this season, for the rest of his career and has no Cup, then his # shouldn't be retired.

Some blame the goalie, some blame the defense. I'm going to guess if you thought to post what you just did, we might not ever see eye to eye when analyzing this game. That goes for anyone who thinks to blame Henrik for any kind of mess this season or any past post-seasons.

I'll give it a shot anyway, Cam Talbot still looked great in his few losses, and shouldn't be blamed for those losses. Just as Hank is too often the only one worth a damn out there, no matter how many goals went in.

He's the best goalie in the world, possibly ever when you watch and compare to him enough. To do what he's been doing on non-Prez trophy worthy teams, with little regard to net protection, is a miracle. Sure they've blocked shots as much as they could, but nobody for years will body an opponent in front of him. (Richter was victim to similar fate, Brodeur was not). He just somehow happens to have accolades to back it all up.

Joey Bones 03-10-2014 03:24 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I definitely think he's worthy of a retired number. IMO best Ranger goalie ever.:nod::nod:

nyr2k2 03-10-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 81440121)

He's on pace for 32 wins this year. If he plays this inconsistently for another six years, he'd still finish with over 480 wins. That would put him in the top four of NHL goalies all time. That's first ballot Hall of Fame territory, forget about the MSG rafters.

vipernsx 03-10-2014 03:35 PM

Giacomin's up there, so Henke is headed up there too. If he wins a cup in NY, which I don't see happening at this point, it solidifies that it'll happen.

ZacUSNYR 03-10-2014 03:35 PM

A cup and conn smythe would make it a definite

nikonsniper* 03-10-2014 03:36 PM

So long as he stays with the team, sure.

LORENZO 03-10-2014 03:56 PM

13 as well if we win the cup.