HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   McCabe to have surgery? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16246)

Leaf Army 10-02-2003 08:06 AM

McCabe to have surgery?

Bill Watters on Leafs Lunch says his sources are suggesting McCabe might need surgery.

Watters does not know what type of surgery, but he figures it will be fairly major.

He figures if it was just arthroscopic, he probably would have done it already. If he does in fact need surgery, he's maybe out 3-6 months.

TMLAXIS 10-02-2003 08:10 AM

Yesterday they said Mccabe was skating full out.

p.l.f. 10-02-2003 08:23 AM

oh god , no.

thats why green was put on waivers?

maybe this can be good news in a twisted way, it forces them to get another quality defenseman, so that when mccabe does come back - hey the blueline looks great

sluggo* 10-02-2003 08:32 AM

"thats why green was put on waivers?"

They think it might have been part of the reason, if hes picked up it frees up his 1.6 million that can be used on a defenseman.

"Yesterday they said Mccabe was skating full out"

They don't know the extend of the injury. I've had a serious knee injury as well, and sometimes you can run, skate (whatever) fine, but unless it get repaired, if you get hit there it can completely blow the knee out, that could be were McCabe is right now. He can skate, but a hit could blow his knee out.

p.l.f. 10-02-2003 09:10 AM

bill watters talks about trading domi for a quality defenseman

bill, i hate to break this to you, but tie domi is a 4th liner.

psst....berard and yushkevich are still out there

sluggo* 10-02-2003 09:18 AM

First Watters has never said the trade would be Domi for that defenseman straight up - depending on the team and what else they give up (prospects or picks) they could get someone like Zhitnik for a package with Domi as the center piece.

I don't think Yushkevich would be the best guy to get (though not bad). Hes not the same player he was a couple seasons ago, there was a reason he was moved 3 times last year.

Leaf Army 10-02-2003 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
First Watters has never said the trade would be Domi for that defenseman straight up - depending on the team and what else they give up (prospects or picks) they could get someone like Zhitnik for a package with Domi as the center piece.

I don't think Yushkevich would be the best guy to get (though not bad). Hes not the same player he was a couple seasons ago, there was a reason he was moved 3 times last year.

The reason Yushevich played for three teams last year was because he was a pending UFA.

Florida aquired Yushki because they wanted a player of even skill in return for Svehla.

Florida then traded Yushki because they realized they weren't going to the playoffs. LA wanted Yushki for their playoff drive.

LA traded him when they realized they weren't going to make the playoffs.

Interest in him has been mild so far because he apparently has some sort of chronic knee injury.

I'd like to see the Leafs get him. Why not? He was arguably our #1 guy about 2 years ago. He played well against us in the Philly series.

Bobby Lou 10-02-2003 09:33 AM

Piping in here on the Leafs defensive issues...I was wondering if they'd have any interest in Todd Simpson...a very surprising unprotected player that for some reason Phoenix left open.

He's a tough, sandpaper d-man, someone who could fit in well and toughen up an already hard core. Admittingly he isn't the #1/2 the Leafs would find ideal, but if you simply stocked your defense with enough depth, the lack of a true #1 might not be as glaring an issue.

Shawn 10-02-2003 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoast
Piping in here on the Leafs defensive issues...I was wondering if they'd have any interest in Todd Simpson...a very surprising unprotected player that for some reason Phoenix left open.

He's a tough, sandpaper d-man, someone who could fit in well and toughen up an already hard core. Admittingly he isn't the #1/2 the Leafs would find ideal, but if you simply stocked your defense with enough depth, the lack of a true #1 might not be as glaring an issue.

Here we go with the Kaberle is not a true #1 Dman again.

sluggo* 10-02-2003 09:38 AM

The Leafs would be better of trading for someone like Zhitnik then signing Yushki.

He was also a -12 with the Panthers and a -4 with the Kings. That had a something to do with him being traded. He also only played 23 games with the Panthers, I don't how they knew after 23 games they weren't going to make the playoffs. IF they hadn't signed Klee he would have been a good player for that role, but hes not the player they need now (at least not anymore).

Shawn - hes not, not by a long shot. See #1 defensemen have to good defensivly, and Kaberles not.

Shawn 10-02-2003 10:05 AM

Quote:

Shawn - hes not, not by a long shot. See #1 defensemen have to good defensivly, and Kaberles not.

You seem to be the only one that thinks so.

sluggo* 10-02-2003 11:01 AM

Everyone else is wrong.

And Bill Watters (a former assisstant GM, can anyone else boost a crediental even close to that?) agrees with me.

p.l.f. 10-02-2003 11:04 AM

mccabe hasnt taken an mri yet btw.

i have to laugh hearing callers suggesting trading domi for schneider

they gave up a 1st pick and kuznetsov for schneider.

ACC1224 10-02-2003 11:07 AM

Quote:

Everyone else is wrong.

And Bill Watters (a former assisstant GM, can anyone else boost a crediental even close to that?) agrees with me.

when I was younger I was a GM...of a restaurant.

Leaf Army 10-02-2003 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
mccabe hasnt taken an mri yet btw.

i have to laugh hearing callers suggesting trading domi for schneider

they gave up a 1st pick and kuznetsov for schneider.

I'm thinking Detroit would gladly make that trade. They'd love to dump Schneider's contract. The Leafs are the ones who wouldn't make that deal.

p.l.f. 10-02-2003 11:12 AM

come on.

they have the money, they dont care.
they protected him, didnt they.

hey, i hope i'm wrong

Leaf Army 10-02-2003 11:25 AM

Quote:

come on.

they have the money, they dont care.
they protected him, didnt they.

hey, i hope i'm wrong

Well maybe Detroit isn't overly eager to dump him, but if they got a half decent offer, they'd trade him for sure.

I can almost gaurantee the Leafs wouldn't make that trade. Strictly because of Schneider's contract.

Pinto 10-02-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking Detroit would gladly make that trade. They'd love to dump Schneider's contract. The Leafs are the ones who wouldn't make that deal.
you think that jf. jr wouldnt make that deal your huffin some pretty strong stuff. You cant get a 2-3-4 dman for a fourth liner

Leaf Army 10-02-2003 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinto80
you think that jf. jr wouldnt make that deal your huffin some pretty strong stuff. You cant get a 2-3-4 dman for a fourth liner

The Leafs operate on a budget.

Doug Evinou 10-02-2003 11:38 AM

in regards to this topic, this was posted on mapleleafs.com this afternoon:

"Bryan McCabe's knee isn't progressing as well as it should be and he will undergo a MRI this afternoon to determine if surgery is necessary said Pat Quinn."

Pinto 10-02-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

The Leafs operate on a budget.
If you get a deal that good, you make room in the budget

sluggo* 10-02-2003 12:05 PM

"you think that jf. jr wouldnt make that deal your huffin some pretty strong stuff. You cant get a 2-3-4 dman for a fourth liner"

No, but you can get one for a packge built around a good 3rd/4th liner

p.l.f. 10-02-2003 12:08 PM

i agree with pinto.

i mean if they lose green and trade domi thats 3 million right there

ComrieFanatic 10-02-2003 12:18 PM

mccabe is undergoing an MRI today to see if he is healing properly and if he can start particpating in full contract drills. They dont want to rush him so they are taking the percautons.the media blew it up into saying that he needs surgery, and now thats what many people think...there is no way he would be able to skate all out with something torn in his knee..

Leaf Army 10-02-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

i agree with pinto.

i mean if they lose green and trade domi thats 3 million right there

Schneider makes $3.5 mil and he's got two years left on his contract.

If Schneider was a UFA this summer do you think the Leafs would have offered him a deal like that?

They wouldn't have. So why would they want to aquire that contract in a trade?