HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why not Hamrlik? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=162667)

easton122 08-14-2005 04:34 PM

Why not Hamrlik?

Roman Hamrlik just signed a 2 year 7 million dollar deal with the Calgary Flames. Assuming his heart wasn't set on signing with the Flames why didn't the Flyers nab this guy? We gave a 4 year 14 million deal to Hatcher and a 5 year 17.5 million deal to Rathje. Granted both of them are bigger and better defensively than Hamrlik but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Hamrlik has a mean streak and when he is on his game he is one of the best two-way defensemen around. Considering we gave bigger and slower defensemen the same amount of money with an extra 2 and 3 years on their deals we should've gotten the Hammer.

He provides much more offense than either Hatcher or Rathje and he's no slouch defensively either (forget his 03-04 numbers).

Are the Flyers going in the right direction this season? Clarke and Hitchcock wanted to get bigger and more physical on the blueline because of the Jagr's, Holik's, and Thornton's of the conference. There are only so many PF's these days. Why not get quicker more mobile defensemen that can better handle the Briere's, Zhamnov's, and Recchi's?

Vikke 08-14-2005 04:54 PM

Maybe they offered Hamrlik a contract, but he didn't want to sign it? ;)

Larry44 08-14-2005 06:38 PM

Hitch wanted Hatcher, Lombardi recommended Rathje. I guess they liked them better.

Hatcher can be dominant and Rathje is steadier than Roman, who plays riskier and is more talented offensively.

I like Hamrlik too but we can't sign everyone.

Rails 08-14-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44
Hitch wanted Hatcher, Lombardi recommended Rathje. I guess they liked them better.

Hatcher can be dominant and Rathje is steadier than Roman, who plays riskier and is more talented offensively.

I like Hamrlik too but we can't sign everyone.

He has a point, we aren't the Leafs...oh wait...zing

ChrisKreider20 08-14-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
Are the Flyers going in the right direction this season? Clarke and Hitchcock wanted to get bigger and more physical on the blueline because of the Jagr's, Holik's, and Thornton's of the conference. There are only so many PF's these days. Why not get quicker more mobile defensemen that can better handle the Briere's, Zhamnov's, and Recchi's?

The flyers want to get more physical? :dunno: They're already arguably the biggest, roughest team in the NHL.

Dig Out Your Soul 08-14-2005 07:04 PM

I've heard that Hamrlik took less money than other teams offered to go to Calgary. Could be a reason why Philly couldn't/wouldn't land him.

Vikke 08-14-2005 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
The flyers want to get more physical? :dunno: They're already arguably the biggest, roughest team in the NHL.

Yeah, let's improve that factor.
Devils had the best defence and they were always trying to strengthen it.

Stephen 08-14-2005 10:33 PM

Hamrlik would have definitely given the Flyers more of an offensive/skill dimension from the backend compared to Hatcher.

Hamrlik probably would have been the smarter signing, but hey, I'm not going to complain about that.

stanley 08-14-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

I don't know about that. Have you looked at the roster lately, particularly the defense? Other than Markov, who played big but wasn't big, they were much quicker than they were physical.

Brad* 08-14-2005 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
I don't know about that. Have you looked at the roster lately, particularly the defense? Other than Markov, who played big but wasn't big, they were much quicker than they were physical.

Agreed. Johnsson, Desjardins, Pitkanen, and Seidenberg are not Broad Street Bullies. Rathje is big, but he isn't an overly physical guy, either. Hatcher is really it, back there. On the forward core, most of the players are not grinders or particularly big.

Steve L* 08-15-2005 06:42 AM

Id have prefered 2 years of Hamrlik than 5 years of Rathje at the same price but Hamrlik may not have signed when Clarke wanted him too thus he had to take Rathje or risk losing them both to other teams.

easton122 08-15-2005 06:58 AM

Quote:

Markov was our only physical defensemen and he is 6'1'' :dunno:

easton122 08-15-2005 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Id have prefered 2 years of Hamrlik than 5 years of Rathje at the same price but Hamrlik may not have signed when Clarke wanted him too thus he had to take Rathje or risk losing them both to other teams.

That's probably right.