HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   trade idea not involving comrie !! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16270)

Mr Sakich 10-02-2003 08:10 AM

trade idea not involving comrie !!

todd simpson is available on the waiver draft. He is affordable at 1.5 mill and would be a perfect 4-6 guy for the oilers. He is every bit the equal to gator and I cannot understand why he available on waivers. This situation is identical to when we aquired Staios.

I like jason smith but he may be ufa after this year. The upcomming cba is almost sure to lower the ufa age as a concession to allowing some sort of cost certainty. This is why it is so important to have smyth signed for a few years because he would also be ufa in the new cba.

If simpson is still there when we pick, could lowe move smith for prospects? The perfect situation could be toronto where ferguson would luv to establish his authority by getting a quinn cast off to return. They have some excellent dmen prospects and are desperate for another tough as nails top 4 dman.

If the oilers are going to lose smith as ufa after this year anyways, I think this could make sense.

future consideration 10-02-2003 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck
todd simpson is available on the waiver draft. He is affordable at 1.5 mill and would be a perfect 4-6 guy for the oilers. He is every bit the equal to gator and I cannot understand why he available on waivers. This situation is identical to when we aquired Staios.

I like jason smith but he may be ufa after this year. The upcomming cba is almost sure to lower the ufa age as a concession to allowing some sort of cost certainty. This is why it is so important to have smyth signed for a few years because he would also be ufa in the new cba.

If simpson is still there when we pick, could lowe move smith for prospects? The perfect situation could be toronto where ferguson would luv to establish his authority by getting a quinn cast off to return. They have some excellent dmen prospects and are desperate for another tough as nails top 4 dman.

If the oilers are going to lose smith as ufa after this year anyways, I think this could make sense.

Simpson is available cause he's a 6/7 defensman.

Smith can play on the top pair and play 20mins a game. Who is gonna pick up those mins? Cross? Simpson?, please. Edm's defense isn't very deep now without trading Smith.

I would be very interested in picking up Simpson though.

Mr Sakich 10-02-2003 04:04 PM

its funny but every time I see simpson play, he has a real solid physical game. Is the difference between smith and simpson (for one year) greater than having coliocovo for 10 years?

The only way I would consider this move is if I was convinced the ufa age will be 29 in the next cba and that made this year smith's last in edmonton.

Dorthmall 10-02-2003 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck
its funny but every time I see simpson play, he has a real solid physical game. Is the difference between smith and simpson (for one year) greater than having coliocovo for 10 years?

The only way I would consider this move is if I was convinced the ufa age will be 29 in the next cba and that made this year smith's last in edmonton.

If the difference is that small, then why doesn't Toronto just pick up Simpson and keep Coliacovo for ten years?

Yeah, I know I spelled him name wrong, but its just too much work for me to look it up.

andora 10-02-2003 05:36 PM

i think you only missed an *a*..

colaiacovo...

FacelessButcher 10-02-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorthmall
If the difference is that small, then why doesn't Toronto just pick up Simpson and keep Coliacovo for ten years?

Yeah, I know I spelled him name wrong, but its just too much work for me to look it up.

We get to pick before Toronto but I am sure one of the other teams would do this before us if Toronto was willing to pony up Colaiacovo(that's how u spell it)

_Del_ 10-02-2003 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by future consideration
Simpson is available cause he's a 6/7 defensman.

Smith can play on the top pair and play 20mins a game. Who is gonna pick up those mins? Cross? Simpson?, please. Edm's defense isn't very deep now without trading Smith.

I would be very interested in picking up Simpson though.

I think he's underrated because he's been playing on the third pairing with Suchy in Phoenix. I think he could take top4 minutes without hurting a team.

SmokeyClause 10-02-2003 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Del_
I think he's underrated because he's been playing on the third pairing with Suchy in Phoenix. I think he could take top4 minutes without hurting a team.

If that's the case, then he sure isn't going to fall to Edmonton. Nashville wants a defenseman. Simpson seems like a good fit. There are enough goalies to where we can pick up one later. Simpson might be too good for us to pass up (assuming no one nabs him first).

Mr Sakich 10-02-2003 06:15 PM

Simpson used to be a captain of the flames and I was really pissed when they traded him for a pack of smokes. Frickin buttons was the poorest judge of talent I have ever seen (apologies to flame apologist lanny) and he sent the flames into the toilet for years.

Mowzie 10-02-2003 08:45 PM

T. Simpson is a workhorse, he could really fit in with The Oilers and make things interesting back there. I wish the roster was just like survivor so we can just vote off Cory Cross and Scott Ferguson. (i like the guys but, you know how it is.)

andora 10-02-2003 08:51 PM

how is simpson a workhorse? honestly, is he not just an average defenseman at best in talent, a physical side yet also an undisciplined temper at times?...

at over a million, he's not worth the oilers time IMHO