HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Looking for an honest opinion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=162767)

Steve 08-14-2005 10:33 PM

Looking for an honest opinion

I'm looking for people's opinion on a few players here. I'm a die hard leaf fan and I'll be the first to say that we sport some of the most "off the wall" fans that think everyone in Blue and White is gods gift to hockey and everyone that isn't wearing blue and white wishes they were.

So, here it goes.

1 - What do you expect from Hatcher this year. His pro's are obvious b/c he's huge and if you go near that net you're in trouble. However his cons are obviously the ? around his knee and will be just become a pilon in the "new and improved" NHL. b/c he's never been the most mobile of players.

IMO - average year, but i don't believe he'll be the STUD we saw in Dallas. He did flourish under Hitchcock but that was a defensive style and that will be harder to play now

2 - Eric Lindros. How will he do this year? He's got this year to get his career back on track, he's got a chance to really put up some numbers depending on who he's playing with. Philly fans know how capable this guy is of scoring 50 goals and possibly missing 50 games.

I really don't know what to expect. Any Ideas?

3 - Peter Forsberg. Possibly the most gifted all-round player in the league. Not to sure here what to think. He's amazing when he's healthy but his health is always a question.

Again, not to sure what to think.

4 - How will the Leafs/Flyers finish. I think the Flyers could win the division, however the Sens are going to pose a threat to anyone b/c they're so talented and extremely quick.

IMO Flyers #1, Sens #2 and the leafs will either finish #7/8 or if Lindros and Allison are healthy for the year. They will finish #2 ahead of the Sens and behind the Flyers.....hopefully....maybe?

I'm curious for you're opinion b/c I hope to get some real answers rather than some over excited leaf fans and pessemistic "i hate leaf" fans

thanks

oh #5 - Will we meet in the playoffs and if so .... who will win?

Lord ZipLock 08-14-2005 10:52 PM

Good questions
1)Well for Hatcher I think the cons out weight the pros somewhat(in the new NHL) but he will a solid top 4 defense men and give us that extra edge we need point wise I would say something like 8G-20A
2)Lindros is an enigma if he can stay healthy and plays with a healthy Alison (big ifs) he could easily be a strong part of the team and put up 30G-30A but if he gets injured thats all down the drain, so its the luck of the draw with him
3)Forsberg when healthy is the BEST player in the NHL if he plays more than 70 games he will get around 30G-80A and lead the flyers to 1st place in the East
4)Flyers will win the division and leafs will fight for the bottom 2-3 playoff spots
5)We could very well meet in the first round if so I think a 5game(maybe 6) series with the flyers winning(but I am a little bit biased)

Original6 08-14-2005 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord ZipLock
Good questions
1)Well for Hatcher I think the cons out weight the pros somewhat(in the new NHL) but he will a solid top 4 defense men and give us that extra edge we need point wise I would say something like 8G-20A
2)Lindros is an enigma if he can stay healthy and plays with a healthy Alison (big ifs) he could easily be a strong part of the team and put up 30G-30A but if he gets injured thats all down the drain, so its the luck of the draw with him
3)Forsberg when healthy is the BEST player in the NHL if he plays more than 70 games he will get around 30G-80A and lead the flyers to 1st place in the East

:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord ZipLock
4)Flyers will win the division and leafs will fight for the bottom 2-3 playoff spots
5)We could very well meet in the first round if so I think a 5game(maybe 6) series with the flyers winning(but I am a little bit biased)

:thumbd:

FlyHigh 08-14-2005 11:14 PM

not bad.

1. Hard to say. I've never liked Hatcher very much and I much rather would have had Hamrlik. I see him as about a 5th with this team and I'd be surprised if he put up over 20 pts. Should be good for the intimidation though.

2. Lindros gets bashed so badly and it isn't fair to the guy. I would go as far to say that if he had stayed healthy, that trade would be remembered as a good one. Last year before he got hurt, he had 32 points in 39 games which is not bad at all. Good signing for them I think. He's hit or miss though. Either 70 games and 55 points or less than 40 games I think.

3. Love the Forsberg signing, I think with the year off, he'll be healthy and quite effective.

4. I think the Flyers will take the division, but it could be tight, never count the Devils out.

As for the Leafs, here's how I see it. The D is all right even without Leetch now. Belfour probably has a year or two left. But I hate the forwards. Who is going to score on the wing? Also have 2 major question marks in Lindros and Allison. I don't even know if they make the playoffs.

Lord ZipLock 08-14-2005 11:14 PM

Dr. hockey what was wrong with my last two answers are you a leafs fans?

Brad* 08-14-2005 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve

So, here it goes.

1 - What do you expect from Hatcher this year. His pro's are obvious b/c he's huge and if you go near that net you're in trouble. However his cons are obviously the ? around his knee and will be just become a pilon in the "new and improved" NHL. b/c he's never been the most mobile of players.

Hatcher will do what he's supposed to do. He won't win the Norris, he won't be the number one defenseman, and he won't get eaten alive by the new rules. Hatcher was signed to be a physical, crease clearing defenseman - the Flyers already have multiple puck moving, smooth skating guys, and they need Hatcher's physical play. He will provide that, and if he's healthy, will have a good year doing what he was signed to do.

Quote:

2 - Eric Lindros. How will he do this year? He's got this year to get his career back on track, he's got a chance to really put up some numbers depending on who he's playing with. Philly fans know how capable this guy is of scoring 50 goals and possibly missing 50 games.

I don't know how many games he will miss, but the Leafs will have a lot riding on his health. If he is indeed healthy, he can still be a very productive player. If Eric is completely healthy, at this stage of his career, he could be around a point per game player - so you do the math. If he players a full season, he could see around 75-85 points. I don't foresee him going much over that.

Quote:

3 - Peter Forsberg. Possibly the most gifted all-round player in the league. Not to sure here what to think. He's amazing when he's healthy but his health is always a question.

Of course his health has always been a question, and I'm sure the Flyers are completely aware of that. Right now, he's healthy, however the style he plays makes him susceptible to injuries. If he can play a full season (not likely) he's a 100 point player. If he can play 60 games, he can get 75-80 points. Personally, I don't care how many points he gets - as long as he's healthy for the playoffs. When he's healthy, he's the best all around forward in the game.

Quote:

4 - How will the Leafs/Flyers finish. I think the Flyers could win the division, however the Sens are going to pose a threat to anyone b/c they're so talented and extremely quick.

The Flyers and Sens will battle for the 1st seed in the conference all year long, I believe. They're extremely close and evenly matched, and this point, it's a crapshoot as to who is the favorite for the number one spot.

Toronto is definitely a playoff team. Where they fall, is the question. They're not division winners, we both know that. The Northeast will be a strong division this year, which I believe will produce 4 playoff teams. Ottawa should be first in their division, but Boston won't be far behind. Montreal isn't a bad hockey team, either. I see Toronto shaking out around 5th or 6th in the East, to be honest. Probably third in their division.

Quote:

Too early to say. Personally, I never make predictions about the playoffs, I think it's silly. It's too wide open, and anything can happen.

PRB 08-15-2005 07:54 AM

1. Hatcher will do pretty well, I dont think it'll be as open as people are thinking. Sure the redline is gone but the Ice surface is still the same size and there still will be a huge physical elment to the game.

2. Lindros if he stays healthy and proves his injuries are behind him can have a big big year. He's playing for a contract in a city he loves and so he could shine. He could easily have a Forsberg season or he could easily get hurt and have a typical Lindros in the past 3-4 years season.

3. Forsberg will be deadly when he is on the ice, he will rack up points, but he has to be on the ice to do it. If he stays healthy then tripple figures in the points, if he has recurrring injury problems then that is an issue.

4. Think the Flyers will win the conference and the Leafs will be about 6th

5. If we meet, well I suspect it'll be a huge physical battle, big hits, very gritty play. Some players will shine, some will hide, whoever has the players that shine the most in that week will win.

John Flyers Fan 08-15-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:

A very solid season, he's now two years removed from ACL surgery and his skating should be back to where it was in 2002. He'll never be a burner, but a big, nasty shutdown defenseman.

Quote:

Expect 50-65 games. 15 great games, 30 good games and another 15 where he is a complete non-factor.

Quote:

He'll be th ebest player in the NHL, when healthy - hopefully 65 regular season gams and 23 playoff games.

Quote:

Flyers will win the Atlantic Division and challenge for the op spot in the East. Leafs will likely finish in the 4/5 spot ... going up or down depending upon the health status of Lindros and Allison.

Quote:

I don't whink we'll meet in the playoffs, but if we do, the Flyers will triumph again.

Brooklyndevil 08-15-2005 08:15 AM

Quote:

3. Love the Forsberg signing, I think with the year off, he'll be healthy and quite effective.
Forsberg did play in Europe last year and was indeed injuried.

Nuclear 08-15-2005 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil
Forsberg did play in Europe last year and was indeed injuried.

Yes but European hockey is nothing like the NHL style of physical play. He broke his wrist, which could have happened to anyone, and it should be perfectly healed by now.

Flyman 08-15-2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear
Yes but European hockey is nothing like the NHL style of physical play. He broke his wrist, which could have happened to anyone, and it should be perfectly healed by now.

Swedes can be nasty when they want! :) I watched several games last year, from the SE, and I can assure you that bodychecks were there! It's a pleasant league IMO, nice to watch.

greatwhite101* 08-15-2005 09:14 AM

I think Hatcher will be ok, everyone is talking about his injury but he had a LOT of time to heal so if he scores 5-6 goals and 30-35 points it would be great. Rathje (20-25 points)

I think Lindros will be a force this season. Sundin Allison Lindros lines. Pat Quinn said Lindros will center 3d line. I think Eric will play around 65-70 games scoring a point per game or more( he needs to lose some weight tough :) he is over 250lbs).
Ottawa, Leafs and Boston will be fun games to watch. Do not forget about speedy Habs. Expect a lot of injuries because this division is loaded.

It's tough to say anything about Forsberg. I've heard he also had (career threatening) concussion last season playing in Europe. 60 games and 100% in playoffs thatís what Flyers need from him.

MojoJojo 08-15-2005 09:25 AM

Quote:

Personally I dont like this signing. I would much rather have kept Markov. Hatcher is Big, nasty, will lay some guys out and might well flourish under Hitch, but he is just brutal at times. I think he is terribly overrated, and I dont want him causing problems for us by playing dirty. Imagine if he takes out, say, Wade Redden in the playoffs the same way he did Lombardi. Open war would ensue, and even if we win that round, our team wont be healthy enough to win the cup.

Oh, and I think the "new and improved" NHL is a load of crap.

Quote:

Very underrated. If he shows up to play for the Leafs, you have an awsome player on your hands. He isnt old by any means, and still has the ability to dominate. Of course, this assumes he doesnt get injured, because if he plays like he did when he was the best player in the league, he WILL get injured again. Even if he still plays not to get hurt you still have a 60 pt guy for 1.5 mil.

Quote:

Agreed, though I bet Hitch winds up depressing his offensive numbers a bit. Still, he is going to make Gagne into the next Tanguay.

Quote:

Flyers win division, Leafs battle for eighth spot with Atlanta and the Isles.

Quote:

Flyers. We are built for the playoffs, and BC will add players for a run.

GoneFullHextall 08-15-2005 11:18 AM

all chime in here.

1)Hatcher was not brought to philly to rack up assists and score goals. he was brought for a physical presance on the blueline and to knock some of those big forwards in the east of the crease area and down low. The Flyers had no size at all last season and TampaBay exposed that last year in the playoffs. We had no one to deal with the forwards they sent to the net. The Flyers either could not or would not clear those guys out of there.

2)We all know what kind of player can be when healthy, is he the player now he once was when healthy? that is very debatable and is allways an argument amongst Lindros haters/supporters. It was a good deal for the Leafs., yeah he could get hurt but there is not much risk involved at all, same as Allison all thou I dont think I would want both guys on my team. Anyway If Lindros stays healthy he could help the Leafs do some things in the East.

3)Anytime you can add a player like Forsberg to your roster it makes the whole team and everyone around him better. if he stays healthy I dont think the Flyers are going to be stopped offensivly in the East. Like Lindros he is a injury risk, BUT its a risk you have to take with a player like Forsberg to get your team to where you want to be.

4) If Forsberg stays healthy I see no reason why this team cant be the #1 seed in the East and be the favorites to win it all. good mix of youth, speed, and power on defense and offense and Esche is a very good goalie who isnt going to need to stand on his head for the team to win. The leafs if they stay healthy will make the playoffs but have question marks with some of the depth. especially on defense. Will Belfours back hold up? If he goes down the Leafs are in big,big trouble.

5) If the Flyers and Leafs meet up in the playoffs and everyone is healthy I cant see anything being differant from the last 2 seasons. It would be phyisical, it would be nasty and borderline dirty, but in the end I see the Flyers moving on(but hey its only Aug.) The season hasnt even started yet. I for one am stoked and pumped for this season. I cannot wait.

Brooklyndevil 08-15-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

He broke his wrist, which could have happened to anyone, and it should be perfectly healed by now.[/
QUOTE]

Broken hand, true. Plus he had a concussion...

Quote:

Updated: March 10, 2005, 10:27 PM ET
Forsberg suffers concussion playing in SwedenAssociated Press

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Peter Forsberg sustained a concussion Thursday night in his first Swedish Elite League game since breaking his hand six weeks ago -- an injury that could end his career, according to his father.

Forsberg, who plays for the MoDo team coached by his father, was cross-checked into the boards by Farjestad's Peter Nordstrom during the second period of a playoff game. Nordstrom was ejected for the hit.

"He's had his share of concussions, I think it is enough now [to cause him to retire]," coach Kent Forsberg said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2009998