HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Were you expecting more from Galchenyuk in his first two seasons? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1627833)

WolfgangAmadeusEller* 03-19-2014 10:44 PM

Were you expecting more from Galchenyuk in his first two seasons?

Yes or No.

ps yes, he's young and he will still improve.

Jeffrey 03-19-2014 10:49 PM

I'm still disappointed he has not been playing center the whole time. Stop holding him out please!!

LyricalLyricist 03-19-2014 10:51 PM

No, he missed year of development and I looked at huberdeau(another 3rd overall pick) left in juniors even longer. Also looking at yakupov I'm content with comparison.

I envisioned galchenyuk would be legit top 6er in his 3rd year(knowing he made team), at the time I thought as a center of course. I'll see next year.

Lafleurs Guy 03-19-2014 10:51 PM

I was expecting him to get more opportunities than he has... I think he's done well with what he's been given.

StellerEller 03-19-2014 10:54 PM

I voted yes but only slightly. The argument that the coaching has limited his role is somewhat true. While I can see why he hasn't been used as a centre or as a exclusively top6 forward, his exclusion from the PP is idiotic. That's a perfect place for him to learn, gain experience, and contribute with the least risk.

That being said he's been great and I like what I see. Not every step of his development is going to be great, but all things considered he's made big leaps in both his game and his off-ice training.

I expect him to work on his release and his skating for next year, as well as continuing to gain some mass.

eFFeRR 03-19-2014 10:59 PM

I also voted yes but unfortunately a lot of it has been out of his hands. Therrien is not using him correctly and not giving him much of a chance to succeed. I'm happy with him in his current position. If he sticks with Eller and Gallagher, I believe he has a great opportunity to succeed.

Habskrieg 03-19-2014 11:05 PM

Yes, but not a whole lot. I don't expect him to be the next coming of Gretzky.

He still has plenty of improving to do, but I'm content with him so far. He isn't playing as well as last year, that's for sure. He'll fix it.

L4br3cqu3 03-19-2014 11:39 PM

I can't expect more from him if he doesn't get the opportunity to play more...

Therrien :help:

pine* 03-19-2014 11:52 PM

Was I expecting more of Therrien regarding Galchenyuk? Yes.

BLASPHEMOUS 03-20-2014 12:08 AM

He had as a good a first season as anyone could have expected. This year, a combination of Therrien being Therrien and Galchenyuk taking a few steps back in terms of competing for the puck has lead to a disappointing lack of progress. At the end of the day, he's 19, he'll be fine.......but I do wish for a better coach, or at least better coaching from Therrien, to get the most out of him. Hopefully he gets to try centre more often next year, this team needs a top tier centre for once.

Smokey Thompson 03-20-2014 12:10 AM

I still expect him to have a break out season in his third year. But we just haven't seen that much progression in his first 100 games, which is why I voted yes.

A lot of that has to do with Therrien though. Galchenyuk, like Eller, hasnt been playing with much confidence for a few months now. But hey, I guess carrying the offense for the first month and being rewarded with a sweet spot on the third line could kill your confidence.

capebretoncanadien 03-20-2014 12:12 AM

No I wasn't.

Watsatheo 03-20-2014 12:13 AM

More points than what I expected with Therrien as coach. I was expecting more comparisons to Kostitsyn and arguments how he's not a true center.

Markov4Captain 03-20-2014 12:15 AM

No.

He's 19. That's just crazy young. Especially considering the fact he hasn't been playing his natural position and he hasn't been given the best opportunities. He's doing just fine, hope he gets more chances.

Smokey Thompson 03-20-2014 12:17 AM

Guys.. He is 20, even if Therrien still says in his pressers "he's still 19", he's actually 20.

Timelord 03-20-2014 12:21 AM

I expected more but I knew that some players take longer than others to mature. In interviews you can see that he is still a bit boyish, perhaps just a natural shyness about being center stage that he will learn to deal with eventually, just like Markov and Lafleur. I was really hoping more than expecting. Still lots of optimism!

JayKing 03-20-2014 12:21 AM

I wish he had better opportunities. He has done alright with what he's had.

Ghetto Sangria 03-20-2014 12:41 AM

Chuckie was given all the opportunities to produce. He played with the EGG line at the beginning of the year and was hot for a while then faded when matched up against tougher opposition. He was then moved onto Pleks line (the best offensive center at the time) but again couldn't hold up defensively against the tough matchups.

He's gotten his opportunities, and I feel he has been good offensively considering his minutes... but man he is way worse than I though defensively. He's still young and I think we all know how good this kid is going to be.. but as of now, he's been a little disappointing to me.

A lot of fans were saying he should be given the opportunity to play the way McKinnon does... but McKinnon started on the third line as a RWer. He moved up and stayed there because he created offense while not being a defensive liability... Chuckie hasn't done that.

Canadiens Ghost 03-20-2014 12:45 AM

Yes but only because I was expecting he would be getting more ice time by now.

Frozenice 03-20-2014 12:46 AM

Burke was right - Rielly was the best player in the draft. :sarcasm:

Dekar 03-20-2014 12:52 AM

When the hype is that big, it's hard not to be disappointed if he doesn't fire out of the gate like MacKinnon. But he's 20 years old so there's no real expectations yet. If by 23 he doesn't look like he's rounding out, or at least heading towards top 6 form, then I'll be disappointed.

pavelbure44 03-20-2014 01:01 AM

Galchenyuk is doing fine right now. At 20, he's already gotten really far in his development, even though some of us would like to have him at that truly elite level already, like Mackinnon. But Galchenyuk is Galchenyuk, he's his own guy. He'll develop at his own pace and we can't expect him to be Crosby already. He hasn't been given the most ice time, but I'd rather have him playing 3rd line minutes on a winning team than first line minutes on a losing one.

Even though he's got a big frame, he is still not fully developed. I feel like he loses physical battles sometimes because he doesn't really know how to use his body to win those consistently. I don't really feel like at this stage, giving him more icetime would have helped our team this season. Maybe a few extra shifts on the PP, but not much more.

Ezpz 03-20-2014 01:06 AM

I wasn't expecting him to be in the NHL last year.

hockeyfan2k11 03-20-2014 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 81958691)
No, he missed year of development and I looked at huberdeau(another 3rd overall pick) left in juniors even longer. Also looking at yakupov I'm content with comparison.

I envisioned galchenyuk would be legit top 6er in his 3rd year(knowing he made team), at the time I thought as a center of course. I'll see next year.

Hoew does this happen given how he's being used?

Deluded Puck 03-20-2014 05:59 AM

Yes, but not if I knew that he would be playing 3rd line wing.