HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Are the Dysfunctual Days of this Organization Now Gone for Good? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1627873)

Sawdalite 03-20-2014 12:06 AM

Are the Dysfunctual Days of this Organization Now Gone for Good?

It just dawned on me that this may be the first hopefully extended truly smooth period for the Flyers Organization in some time...

The Flyers were tagged as a 'Dysfunctional Family' back when there was the Lindros/Clarke feud which led to the 'C' being figuratively ripped off the Captain's chest and sown on an un-wanting D-man's... but we can actually go back further to when Mr. Ed Snider turned the reins over to Mr. Jay Snider who then fired GM Bob Clarke and led us into the desert for five years of no Post Season Hockey and tore apart the team for one player and the hope of the 'Next One'... Jay was ousted, Ed unretired and Bob came back to battle with the Lindros Family and caught the eyes of the Hockey World. Long before all though we had a battle of up and down NHL/AHL coaches resulting in IIRC a firing of a First Place Irish coach on St. Paddy's Day... and later on an iron chinned coach who led his team to two surprise SCF battles with the mighty Oiler Dynasty being let go unceremoniously.

And after the Lindros feud there were insane periods such as the hiring of a coach that lasted well less than a season and the firing of a coach who had cancer. -- with the remark on the lines of, 'nobody told him to get cancer' -- The coach who forced their hand was then himself fired and replaced with a local HHoF hero who brought on a great player rebellion led by the Captain and his core leaders... We saw a period where the team fired pucks at their own goaltender's head in practice and a key player saying 'if he's here next season, I'm gone'; the talented goalie was then dealt... We had a Captain who was so concussed and effected that there was no way he was ever going to play, but would not retire and the 'C' could not be given out... A superstar Swede who was in and out of the lineup with bad wheels and ill fitting skate-boots disrupting the team that ended up the worst in the NHL... An organizational bigwig who named himself the heir apparent to Mr. Snider and then left... We had at two different times rumors of players cheating with their teammates' wives... We had grumbling of a party atmosphere and a push for a 'Dry Island'... We had battles between the Media and the Captain... and the long signed Core being traded away in one single day causing a new direction for the team that just went to Game Six of the SCF... We had a goalie, apparently after the Owner demanded, brought in and signed for nine seasons causing us to move a very promising young goalie, and then we saw him bought out after he butted heads with just about everyone, told the Media what he wasn't supposed to, and pretty much fragmented the entire 'Room' ... and then, after missing a postseason, we saw the coach survive only to be replaced after only three games followed by a public outcry from the local Media for a 'Culture Change' that brought on the ire of the only owner this Organization ever had... followed by a 1-7 start and the fear of another worst in the NHL season.

This brings us to the present, which as I see it, seems to be one of serenity and hope... One with a young and talented core who are playing the coach's system to a 'T' and believing in him... one with a super talented young Captain who the players, fans and Media love to death... and trust.

Am I being delusional and jumping the gun... or is this team now a smooth running group that will extract the fun right out of dysfunctional and bring the Organization good standing around the League... and make everyone forget about all the in-house troubles that has plagued this Organization for the better part of the last four decades? This seems to good to be true... will someone be eventually pinching me to wake me up?

dats81 03-20-2014 08:54 AM

As long as the players are standing together and and roster holes are filled with hand selected personalities who don't turn into cancers, the team is very functional as it is.

A functional team does not force the GM's hand and as we have seen before sometimes less is more on the trade front. Homer has been less impulsive and more careful to not break up what is on a good way... Berube is getting through to the players at least for now and Ed Snider has stepped back a little lately after the Bryzaster.

Yes, the current situation seems to be almost as good as it can get... at least compared to what people are used to in Flyers land.
But lets not fool ourselves: this hockey club is always just 1 trade or a goalie controversy away from Armageddon!

DrHamburg 03-20-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 81968623)
As long as the players are standing together and and roster holes are filled with hand selected personalities who don't turn into cancers, the team is very functional as it is.

A functional team does not force the GM's hand and as we have seen before sometimes less is more on the trade front. Homer has been less impulsive and more careful to not break up what is on a good way... Berube is getting through to the players at least for now and Ed Snider has stepped back a little lately after the Bryzaster.

Yes, the current situation seems to be almost as good as it can get... at least compared to what people are used to in Flyers land.
But lets not fool ourselves: this hockey club is always just 1 trade or a goalie controversy away from Armageddon!

That pretty much sums it up. Ive accepted a few things as a Flyers fan. They are always going to have 1 good on the team. When they limit it to a guy like Rosehill (hopefully someone cheaper next time), instead of Shelley at 1.1 its easier to get past. The goalie controversy always leads to Armageddon as previously posted. And fans will always blame the defense far more than they should.

tytech 03-20-2014 09:29 AM

At least we aren`t the Islanders.

Flyotes 03-20-2014 09:29 AM

Curious to see how they handle the following situations-- a bit nervous about them-- and I defend the front office:

Resigning Kimmo for how much if he doesn't retire
The Draft
Where Laughton ends up
Where the defensive prospects are slotted to play next season
B.Schenn's new contract
Gus
MacDonald
NCAA free agents
The defensive backend
The defensive front end (should Kimmo retire)
Mason's new backup

MickeyMelchiondo 03-20-2014 11:11 AM

far too close to Mr. Snider entering into a dementia era for us to say that their dysfunctional days are over...

Protest 03-20-2014 11:11 AM

They're gone for now.

Beef Invictus 03-20-2014 11:15 AM

We're not even a year removed from paying the Bryzaster to go away, I'm not proclaiming anything over yet.

zarley zelepukin 03-20-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 81973483)
We're not even a year removed from paying the Bryzaster to go away, I'm not proclaiming anything over yet.

This.

The sign outside Snider's door should read "65 games and counting without an accident."

Beef Invictus 03-20-2014 11:27 AM

They've also shown a continued inability to develop young Dmen, preferring to role with veterans no matter what. I would count that as dysfunction, especially considering how many Dmen they've been drafting recently. If they don't change that we'll be looking back at the 2012 and 2013 drafts as being largely wastes.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-20-2014 11:38 AM

There's never a dull moment with this franchise.

I'll be honest - I love the fact that the Flyers have an owner who wants to win so badly he's willing to do whatever it takes to win. At the same time, his obsession for winning has come at a price. One of the moves that doesn't get talked about that I really think has helped change the current culture was Peter Lukko resigning from Comcast. As much as Snider gets flak for being a hands on owner, I'm beginning to wonder how much of an influence Lukko was in hockey decision matters.......

FreshPerspective 03-20-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 81973483)

Yeah Holmgren is on his best behavior after being issued a DUI (dealing under the influence-of Snider) for Bryz hence him being more measured. But with the both of them still at the helm I worrry for the Flyers safety still....

BTW...I'm coining that from now on (DUI term) when it comes to trades influenced by Rasputin Snider...

tymed 03-20-2014 12:22 PM

A little early to jump to conclusion, but that's what gets done around here I suppose.

Factor that continues to evade being mentioned in all of this was the big addition of Hexy. You absolutely have to believe that he's one of, if not the biggest reason for this glimmer of patience we've seen through adversity this year. It's looking good.

Dirty but Good 03-20-2014 12:26 PM

As far as these boards are concerned the dysfunctional days are only over until they lose another game.

GoneFullHextall 03-20-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 81969601)
Curious to see how they handle the following situations-- a bit nervous about them-- and I defend the front office:

The Draft
Where Laughton ends up
B.Schenn's new contract
Gus
MacDonald
NCAA free agents
The defensive backend
Mason's new backup

definitely going to be a interesting summer. I really think Timonen's decision either way is going to play into a few things on that list.
Once again with NCAA free agents no player is going to be signed that wants NHL minutes right away. some organizations may let that happen. not the Flyers

Gert B Frobe 03-20-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 81961467)
It just dawned on me that this may be the first hopefully extended truly smooth period for the Flyers Organization in some time...

The Flyers were tagged as a 'Dysfunctional Family' back when there was the Lindros/Clarke feud which led to the 'C' being figuratively ripped off the Captain's chest and sown on an un-wanting D-man's... but we can actually go back further to when Mr. Ed Snider turned the reins over to Mr. Jay Snider who then fired GM Bob Clarke and led us into the desert for five years of no Post Season Hockey and tore apart the team for one player and the hope of the 'Next One'... Jay was ousted, Ed unretired and Bob came back to battle with the Lindros Family and caught the eyes of the Hockey World. Long before all though we had a battle of up and down NHL/AHL coaches resulting in IIRC a firing of a First Place Irish coach on St. Paddy's Day... and later on an iron chinned coach who led his team to two surprise SCF battles with the mighty Oiler Dynasty being let go unceremoniously.

And after the Lindros feud there were insane periods such as the hiring of a coach that lasted well less than a season and the firing of a coach who had cancer. -- with the remark on the lines of, 'nobody told him to get cancer' -- The coach who forced their hand was then himself fired and replaced with a local HHoF hero who brought on a great player rebellion led by the Captain and his core leaders... We saw a period where the team fired pucks at their own goaltender's head in practice and a key player saying 'if he's here next season, I'm gone'; the talented goalie was then dealt... We had a Captain who was so concussed and effected that there was no way he was ever going to play, but would not retire and the 'C' could not be given out... A superstar Swede who was in and out of the lineup with bad wheels and ill fitting skate-boots disrupting the team that ended up the worst in the NHL... An organizational bigwig who named himself the heir apparent to Mr. Snider and then left... We had at two different times rumors of players cheating with their teammates' wives... We had grumbling of a party atmosphere and a push for a 'Dry Island'... We had battles between the Media and the Captain... and the long signed Core being traded away in one single day causing a new direction for the team that just went to Game Six of the SCF... We had a goalie, apparently after the Owner demanded, brought in and signed for nine seasons causing us to move a very promising young goalie, and then we saw him bought out after he butted heads with just about everyone, told the Media what he wasn't supposed to, and pretty much fragmented the entire 'Room' ... and then, after missing a postseason, we saw the coach survive only to be replaced after only three games followed by a public outcry from the local Media for a 'Culture Change' that brought on the ire of the only owner this Organization ever had... followed by a 1-7 start and the fear of another worst in the NHL season.

This brings us to the present, which as I see it, seems to be one of serenity and hope... One with a young and talented core who are playing the coach's system to a 'T' and believing in him... one with a super talented young Captain who the players, fans and Media love to death... and trust.

Am I being delusional and jumping the gun... or is this team now a smooth running group that will extract the fun right out of dysfunctional and bring the Organization good standing around the League... and make everyone forget about all the in-house troubles that has plagued this Organization for the better part of the last four decades? This seems to good to be true... will someone be eventually pinching me to wake me up?

Just for perspective - dinosaurs roamed the earth for approximately 160 million years. Humans approximately 1 million.

Gert B Frobe 03-20-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Resigning Kimmo for how much if he doesn't retire I bet he comes back for 1 year at ~ 3 million
The Draft
Where Laughton ends up 3rd line wing or 4th line center - with the Flyers
Where the defensive prospects are slotted to play next season I hope Morin makes the team and think he will. Haag and Ghost need another year somewhere else
B.Schenn's new contract not very big... hasn't shown he deserves all that much
Gus Lehigh Valley/Allentown whatever they call it
MacDonald re-signed fo sho
NCAA free agents
The defensive backend
Mason's new backup

just my opinions

Sawdalite 03-20-2014 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the response... Let me clarify however what I meant as dysfunction, in this case: The tag was applied in relation to a dysfunctional family when the infighting was great and the Organization was in effect battling itself... Lindros/Clarke, Barber/Primeau etal, Neilson/Clarke, Checmaniac/Roenick & teammates, Bryz/Media, Richards/Media, Richards & Carter/Old City clubs, Ed Snider's demands/Homer's obeying, Media/Snider, GM/aspiring GM, Jay Snider/decisions, yada yada yada... more than hockey decisions that every Organization must make, choices that are correctly made or incorrectly made.

Right now I see a peaceful Organization devoid of any confrontations and devoid of players who want out or have problems with the Media, coaches and/or GM... A team that seems to like each other and like their roles and their coaches... a team that is quiet off the ice and great with the fans... An Organization presently that is not constantly having to pull its foot from its mouth... An Organization that the City seems to truly like and players that are content and have their feet planted firmly on the ground. I honestly feel now that this will not change if the fortunes of the team suddenly turns south.

At one point in time I felt that although the Flyers were a respected Organization, they were at times laughed at as people wondered how they were basically always in the hunt while constantly infighting... I now feel that that not the case... and I don't see it returning in the foreseeable future.

Roman Reigns 03-20-2014 01:35 PM

we can only hope

Sawdalite 03-20-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tymed (Post 81976151)
A little early to jump to conclusion, but that's what gets done around here I suppose.

Factor that continues to evade being mentioned in all of this was the big addition of Hexy. You absolutely have to believe that he's one of, if not the biggest reason for this glimmer of patience we've seen through adversity this year. It's looking good.

Talk about jumping to a conclusion... What do you have to support adding Hexy being any factor at all... besides the timing of his hiring? If anything after he arrived the Organization was drawing cries to change the culture, and Hextall's hiring flew in the face of that, and the early season brought fear of a total regression... If anything I'd look to Homer's choice of righting the ship with Berube being the major factor. That said, I really see it happening much before then and the jettison of Bryz being the final cleansing act.

I would be interested in learning any information on what Hextall -- who I love -- has done to stabilize the Organization since he was hired.

Larry44 03-20-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty but Good (Post 81976289)
As far as these boards are concerned the dysfunctional days are only over until they lose another game.

Very funny. The HF Boards are always dysfunctional. I'm sure if they win the Cup there will be arguments on here about the order of lifting it... :) Can only hope!

Sawdalite 03-20-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe (Post 81976619)
Just for perspective - dinosaurs roamed the earth for approximately 160 million years. Humans approximately 1 million.

Oh... okay... thanks for clearing that up for me. :huh:

sharpeye97 03-20-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

The Draft
Where Laughton ends up
B.Schenn's new contract
Gus
MacDonald
NCAA free agents
The defensive backend
Mason's new backup

I'll take a swing haha...

-Kimmo returns for cheap 1 year deal.
-They draft a scoring winger or BPA if scoring winger is not available.
-Laughton starts season on Phantoms.
-Morin will end up in juniors, Hagg in Sweden, Ghost and possibly Vasilev (if signed) are pushed to play for Phantoms.
-B. Schenn gets a bridge contract similar to Couts.
-If Gus can't get a spot then he walks or rights traded.
-MacD resigns around $4 mil per.
-Flyers sign 1-2 decent/good NCAA prospect(s), whether it be a D or winger.
-Either sign solid Dmen via free agency or package Grossmann and pick for one (that is if they keep Gus or decide an ADK Dman is ready for the big club)
-They will continue test waters for top 4 D via trades.
-Heeter will probably be the backup (has been really solid for a poor ADK team and is cheap)

shipwreck 03-20-2014 02:26 PM

Never fear! We are still dysfunctional as ever http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...n.gif~originalhttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...n.gif~original

Tripod 03-20-2014 02:39 PM

we are 1 losing streak away from missing the playoffs and then we are all on the edge of our seats again.

then with the draft in Philly, Holmgren will want to have fun!

But in reality, I hope having Hextall there is helping with the patience. Also having him there to talk trades is a good thing.

I said in another thread, we just need to take David Poile from Nashville and put him with our scouts. Allow us to pick a forward in the 1st round, then let him find the D and G in the other rounds. Would be gold!