HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Traitor... John LeClair signs with Pens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=162921)

Nuclear 08-15-2005 01:56 PM

Traitor... John LeClair signs with Pens

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/te...ts/1296.0.php#

EDIT: Sorry for the profanity, just really passionate over this.

Masao 08-15-2005 01:58 PM

;)

Hinger 08-15-2005 02:00 PM

If I remember correctly, the Flyers bought him out not the other way arround. Instead of branding him as a traitor, rejoice in what he contributed to the Flyers, wish him well, and move on!

Nuclear 08-15-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinger
If I remember correctly, the Flyers bought him out not the other way arround. Instead of branding him as a traitor, rejoice in what he contributed to the Flyers, wish him well, and move on!

If I remember correctly, John LeClair even said to the media the team would be crazy to keep his contract in a cap world, and if he was the GM he'd never do it.

Roger's Pancreas* 08-15-2005 02:06 PM

I think I'm going to be sick. Between Recchi leaving for the Pens (understandable), Lindros signing for the Leafs (again.... understandable), and LeClair signing with the Penguins I'm just left speachless. I guess I can take comfort in knowing that the Penguins haven't added much to their defense and even less to the goaltending.

Hinger 08-15-2005 02:06 PM

So, does that make him a gracious traitor then?

Roger's Pancreas* 08-15-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinger
So, does that make him a gracious traitor then?

He's not a traitor because this isn't a game of loyalty. He went on the market and is continuing his career which is what anyone of us would do. Nuclear just like myself aren't happy that he signed with Divisional rivals. These things are going to happen but we can all be grateful that we still have the main pieces (Gagne, Johnsson, Esche).

Mario_is_BACK!! 08-15-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

I guess I can take comfort in knowing that the Penguins haven't added much to their defense and even less to the goaltending.
Adding "even less" to their goaltending is a terrible statement to make. While Thibault has some health issues, he's still a former All Star and MILES above what they've had up until now in net going as far back as Barasso.

Evilo 08-15-2005 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I think I'm going to be sick. Between Recchi leaving for the Pens (understandable), Lindros signing for the Leafs (again.... understandable), and LeClair signing with the Penguins I'm just left speachless. I guess I can take comfort in knowing that the Penguins haven't added much to their defense and even less to the goaltending.

Adding Thibault is adding less? :dunno:

Mario_is_BACK!! 08-15-2005 02:13 PM

Hey Evilo. Thanks for the support. "Dawg"

MojoJojo 08-15-2005 02:14 PM

Hoo Boy!

Watch as the Flyers become his new Montreal...

Its just nuts how the Pens have done a complete 180 with their team.

paxtang 08-15-2005 02:14 PM

Meh, who cares. Leclair is done.

Roger's Pancreas* 08-15-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!!
Adding "even less" to their goaltending is a terrible statement to make. While Thibault has some health issues, he's still a former All Star and MILES above what they've had up until now in net going as far back as Barasso.

It's not a terrible statement to make. They added Gonchar to their defense and that is going to make a much bigger impact than Thibault will make in the crease. If you ask anyone on this board on which one they would prefer between Gonchar and Thibault the answer would be Gonchar.

MojoJojo 08-15-2005 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxtang
Meh, who cares. Leclair is done.

Actually I disagree. On an off year he scores 25 goals. His biggest problem is that he gets worn down by the post season with the style he plays.

Oh man, watching him get the crap kicked out of him by Hatcher in front of the net is going to be sick to watch, and I dont mean "sick" in a good way.

Mario_is_BACK!! 08-15-2005 02:18 PM

I dont see how you can make that comparison as they're at two different positions.

For years Thibault toiled behind a terrible TERRIBLE Chicago team and still managed to have a below 3.00 GAA. Yes he'll give up rebounds, but as long as someone is there to clear then it wont be a big deal.

If our defense gets lax and wont clear the crease then there will be a problem. With another defensive defenseman (something I'm still hoping to see the Pens sign) they'll have all the pieces to a Cup team assuming Lemieux stays relatively healthy and Crosby can be what they tout him to be.

That being said, the road to Stanley still seems to run through Philly at this point.

Gags1288 08-15-2005 02:19 PM

Woohooo, we get to play against him 8 times a year. He couldn't have signed with a better team. He can't play defense, he can't really do anything when he's not scoring and quite frankly, he can't really score anymore (without the right linemates and the right PP time). He won't get 1st unit PP time and he won't be on the 1st line, he'll be lucky to get 20 goals. Honestly, I wouldn't give up a single player on the flyers roster to bring John back, not a single one. This is by far the worst acquisition of the off-season by the Pens, who have had a very good offseason. This takes top 6 minutes away from one of Malone or Malkin and that's subtraction by addition, imo.

Honestly, the Pens will probably score 300 goals and give up 350, but they'll be exciting to watch. Leclair-Malkin/Malone-Recchi, anyone afraid of this line? I sure as heck am not.

Mario_is_BACK!! 08-15-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

This is by far the worst acquisition of the off-season by the Pens, who have had a very good offseason.
If signing someone who put up 55 points last season is a bad acquisition, I'll take it.

Quote:

Leclair-Malkin/Malone-Recchi, anyone afraid of this line? I sure as heck am not.
What if you subtract Racchi and put up Palffy, any scarier?

Gags1288 08-15-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

If signing someone who put up 55 points last season is a bad acquisition, I'll take it.

You'll quickly change your tune after watching him play. He got 55 points playing on the 1st line with #1 PP unit time, don't think he'll be getting that in Pittsburgh. The last 20 games of the year he was downright brutal and come playoff time, well i'm still waiting for him to show up. I'll reiterate, I don't think there's a player in the entire NHL who would have been a worse fit on Pittsburgh then John Leclair, just my opinion. If it means one of Malkin or Malone doesn't get to play top 6 minutes, then the Pens have hurt themselves with this signing (again, imo).

Nuclear 08-15-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288
Woohooo, we get to play against him 8 times a year. He couldn't have signed with a better team. He can't play defense, he can't really do anything when he's not scoring and quite frankly, he can't really score anymore (without the right linemates and the right PP time). He won't get 1st unit PP time and he won't be on the 1st line, he'll be lucky to get 20 goals. Honestly, I wouldn't give up a single player on the flyers roster to bring John back, not a single one. This is by far the worst acquisition of the off-season by the Pens, who have had a very good offseason. This takes top 6 minutes away from one of Malone or Malkin and that's subtraction by addition, imo.

Honestly, the Pens will probably score 300 goals and give up 350, but they'll be exciting to watch. Leclair-Malkin/Malone-Recchi, anyone afraid of this line? I sure as heck am not.

Pittsburgh gave up 303 goals last season. Their defense, no matter how bad it is this season, is a lot better than it was last season, and they have a huge upgrade in the goalie positon. They'll get no where near 300, but it'll probably be above the league average.

Dr Love 08-15-2005 02:25 PM

Traitor? Hilarious. So what if he signs with the other PA team. They're not even a chief rival. The Flyers didn't want him (rightfully so), and he went where it was best for him to go. That doesn't make him a traitor.

Not to mention he's toast now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear
Pittsburgh gave up 303 goals last season. Their defense, no matter how bad it is this season, is a lot better than it was last season, and they have a huge upgrade in the goalie positon. They'll get no where near 300, but it'll probably be above the league average.

Above league average? Care to explain how?

Nuclear 08-15-2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Traitor? Hilarious. So what if he signs with the other PA team. They're not even a chief rival. The Flyers didn't want him (rightfully so), and he went where it was best for him to go. That doesn't make him a traitor.

Not to mention he's toast now.

In my overly angry mind he is.

Gags1288 08-15-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

What if you subtract Racchi and put up Palffy, any scarier?

Certainly scarier, but I would be significantly more afraid of:
Lemieux-Crosby-Palffy
Malkin-Malone-Recchi
then any lineup that contains John Leclair.

To succeed in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, you have to have a line you feel comftorable matching up against the other teams top lines. The Wings always have the grind line, Jersey had the Holik line and the Madden line, Dallas have Lehtinen's line, etc, etc, etc. The Pens would have been much better off adding a Darren McCarty and another quality checking line player.

Gags1288 08-15-2005 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear

And their forwards are significantly worse in the defensive zone. Recchi, Leclair, a healthy Lemieux, none of these guys play a lick of defense. Crosby I guess is OK defensively, Malkin's not very good, Palffy's average. The checking lines are atrocious and the top 2 lines are atrocious defensively. If the game does indeed open up, 350 goals against is not an impossibility, imo.

Mario_is_BACK!! 08-15-2005 02:35 PM

Quote:

Lemieux-Crosby-Palffy
Malkin-Malone-Recchi
First off, switch Malkin and Malone.

Secondly, Mario has been called an above average defensive player when he wants to be. No one ever saw it though because he was always in an offense first system. Crosby's a mucker in the corners according to scouting reports (though we dont know how that'll translate really). And Malkin is more than likely not coming over this season.

PLEASE know the facts before you start shooting down a team.

greatwhite101* 08-15-2005 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilo
Adding Thibault is adding less? :dunno:

Yes less... he is Below average goaltender and your mediocre defense leading by your “super star” Orpic won’t help. I asked you before to name one player on your team with good -+. The reply I got from you was NO... lol
I also said that Penns have no head coach (meaning he doesn't have a lot experience) no reply there.
Finally Pittsburgh has no system and just because they won some games (against injured teams) in the end of the year well... even Pittsburgh have to win some games after losing 17 straight. By the way… where is Morozov or Malkin? On the way ehhh?
I swear a god I want Hatcher to destroy Mario on the ice. Why would anyone want to respect a greedy player and a greedy owner.