HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: CSN Pitches Surcharge: Possible Blackouts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1632427)

Shady McCoy 03-26-2014 09:25 AM

CSN Pitches Surcharge: Possible Blackouts
While this is only the Phillies at the moment it could be setting a precedent for our favorite Philadelphia company. Figured it was worthy of it's own thread since the Flyers could be a part of it eventually. Cue the Comcast hate.

Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, already one of the nation's priciest regional sports networks, is seeking a subscriber surcharge on behalf of the wallet-busting, 25-year, $2.5 billion TV rights deal it negotiated with the Phillies in January.

As part of the deal, at least 33 Phillies games will relocate from the over-the-air - and free - TV station WPHL17 to the cable sports network.

Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia is asking pay-TV operators, including Comcast itself, to pay for those additional games on cable, according to multiple pay-TV operators who declined to be identified.

The sports network has warned that it would black out 33 Phillies games on the TV systems that decline to pay.

Comcast Cable has agreed to the extra charges. Pay-TV operators will either pass the surcharge along to customers with cable-TV rate hikes, or absorb the new costs. Comcast said it has no changes to announce to its cable rates.

Verizon Communications Inc.'s FiOS TV service "has not yet reached an agreement regarding the surcharge," company spokesman Lee Giercynski said Tuesday.

DirecTV and Dish, the nation's two satellite-TV operators, don't carry Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, which also televises the Sixers and Flyers.

The quick take: People who watched Phillies games only on free rabbit-ear TV will go from watching about 50 games to fewer than 20 games.

Hiesenberg 03-26-2014 09:37 AM

I have no desire to watch the Phillies this year. And I figured out my Flyers dilemma.

orange is better 03-26-2014 09:43 AM

Do cable companies not realize how easy it is to stream games?

DrinkFightFlyers 03-26-2014 10:14 AM

Eh, I doubt the surcharge would be that much. I haven't looked at my itemized Comcast bill recently, but when I had DTV there was like a "Regional Sports Network" fee of like $4 or something. If it is something like $35 or crazy **** like that, I'll be pissed. If its a couple bucks, whatever. Google Fiber will be here soon enough...

flybynite77 03-26-2014 10:16 AM

LOL. So this is Comcast trying to 'pretend' right?

Comcast owns CSN(Phillies own 25%). So Comcast is charging 'itself' a surcharge? Sure it's different portions/divisions of the company, but it's the same owner at the top of the chain.

What this really happens to be is that it's Comcast continuing to fight back againt being FORCED to offer CSN to FIOS because of federal law changing and not allowing them to deny it to their competitor. They hope to try and raise the costs for Verizon which will then raise the price a FIOS customer has to pay and then probably will run ads on CSN talking about how "it's cheaper with Comcast"

DayoftheGreek 03-26-2014 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 82305529)
Do cable companies not realize how easy it is to stream games?

A lot of people get internet from them too. So either way, they win. And if you get internet without cable TV, you are paying something insane like $70 for 5mbps.

Hiesenberg 03-26-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek (Post 82306937)
A lot of people get internet from them too. So either way, they win. And if you get internet without cable TV, you are paying something insane like $70 for 5mbps.

I pay $35. Its not that insane of a price.

Bernie Parent 1974 03-26-2014 02:44 PM

i love how comcast continues to take massive dumps on their customers .... in their hometown

par for the course :)

856 03-26-2014 07:25 PM

rofl, as people are just salivating to watch the 2014 Phillies.

healthyscratch 03-26-2014 07:33 PM

Who are they kidding, it's to pay for the Comcast 2 tower in Center City. I hate Comcast.

4thline4life 03-26-2014 07:44 PM

Switch to FiOS and haven't looked back. Still same bs but at least they pretend to care about customer service.