HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: Miscellaneous NHL Talk XV (Magic Numbers in OP) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1637069)

CanadianFlyer88 04-01-2014 10:22 AM

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XV (Magic Numbers in OP)
 
Old Thread

Playoff stretch drive information:

Metropolitan Division:
Team GR PointsROW MN - DivMN - WCNotes
Y - Pittsburgh 0 109 44 -- -- Pittsburgh will play Columbus in round #1
X - NY Rangers 0 96 41 -- -- The Rangers will play Philiadelphia in round #1
X - Philadelphia 0 94 39 -- -- Philadelphia will play New York in round #1
X - Columbus 0 93 38 -- -- Columbus will play Pittsburgh in round #1
Washington -- -- -- -- -- Washington cannot make the playoffs
New Jersey -- -- -- -- -- New Jersey cannot make the playoffs
Carolina -- -- -- -- -- Carolina cannot make the playoffs
NY Islanders -- -- -- -- -- The Islanders cannot make the playoffs

Atlantic Division:
Team GR PointsROW MN - DivMN - WCNotes
Z - Boston 0 117 51 -- -- Boston will play Detroit in round #1
X - Tampa Bay 0 101 38 -- -- Tampa will play Montreal in round #1
X - Montreal 0 100 40 -- -- Montreal will play Tampa in round #1
X - Detroit 0 93 34 -- -- Detroit will play Boston in round #1
Toronto -- -- -- -- -- Toronto cannot make the playoffs
Ottawa -- -- -- -- -- Ottawa cannot make the playoffs
Florida -- -- -- -- -- Florida cannot make the playoffs
Buffalo -- -- -- -- -- Buffalo cannot make the playoffs

Glossary:
  • GR: Games Remaining
  • ROW: Regulation and Overtime Wins (first tiebreaker)
  • MN - Div: Magic Number to qualify for the playoffs with one of the three divisional spots
  • MN - WC: Magic Number to qualify for the playoffs with one of the two wild card spots
  • If the Magic Number is greater than a team's Games Remaining x 2, then that team does not control its own destiny
  • X: Clinched a playoff spot
  • Y: Clinched the division
  • Z: Clinched the conference


*Tables updated through games played on April 13, 2014.

kammy 04-01-2014 10:29 AM

Its pretty obvious we are playing the Rags in the 1st round, and the Pens in the 2nd round, which means if we make it past those teams, we will most likely be facing the Bruins in the ECF.

I think we can beat both the Rags and Pens, but the Bruins are stacked once again and IMO could win it all again.

TheKingPin 04-01-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kammy (Post 82629229)
Its pretty obvious we are playing the Rags in the 1st round, and the Pens in the 2nd round, which means if we make it past those teams, we will most likely be facing the Bruins in the ECF.

I think we can beat both the Rags and Pens, but the Bruins are stacked once again and IMO could win it all again.

Yea and I bet everyone single person on here would be happy with series wins over the rangers and pens and taking the bruins to 7.

CanadianFlyer88 04-01-2014 11:08 AM


Prongo 04-01-2014 11:54 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...delphia-flyers

John Willis yet again showing a remarkable ability to have a job writing about the sport of hockey without actually knowing what the hell is going on

JDinkalage Morgoone 04-01-2014 11:54 AM

So I may be dumb, but if the playoffs ended today, we'd play the Lightning?

SuchySays 04-01-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 82632653)
So I may be dumb, but if the playoffs ended today, we'd play the Lightning?

no. the 1st round.. 2+3 in each division play each other. and #1 in the division plays a wildcard.

LegionOfDoom91 04-01-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone (Post 82632653)
So I may be dumb, but if the playoffs ended today, we'd play the Lightning?

If the playoffs started today these would be the matchup's:

Rangers vs Flyers
Habs vs Bolts
Bruins vs Blue Jackets
Pens vs Red Wings

JDinkalage Morgoone 04-01-2014 12:07 PM

Okay I knew I was wrong. Thanks guys.

BernieParent 04-01-2014 12:13 PM

Then, according to this article, the 2nd round is just highest vs lowest and 2 middle against each other of the remaining 4 teams in each conference. I seem to remember reading that the 2nd round was still inter-division, but am relieved to see it otherwise.

CanadianFlyer88 04-01-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 82633423)
Then, according to this article, the 2nd round is just highest vs lowest and 2 middle against each other of the remaining 4 teams in each conference. I seem to remember reading that the 2nd round was still inter-division, but am relieved to see it otherwise.

The article is wrong.

Hollywood Couturier 04-01-2014 12:17 PM

That it is. Division "Champs" play each other in Conference Finals

BernieParent 04-01-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 82633507)
The article is wrong.

It's astonishing how difficult it is to find a straightforward explanation. This is from the NHL website:
Quote:

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. There is no reseeding as the tournament moves to the second round and winners of that series advance to the conference championship series and the right to play in the Stanley Cup Final.
Clear as mud.

Incidentally, I noted when I visited NHL.com that Claude is the NHL's third star for March.

LegionOfDoom91 04-01-2014 12:28 PM

So hypothetically if the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, & Red Wings win the matchups would be Bruins vs Red Wings & Habs vs Flyers?

CanadianFlyer88 04-01-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 82634109)
So hypothetically if the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, & Red Wings win the matchups would be Bruins vs Red Wings & Habs vs Flyers?

Assuming you have the Wings beating Pittsburgh, the second round would be Flyers/Wings and Bruins/Habs.


To make it clear, as it stands today:

Metro:

Series A: (1) Penguins vs (WC1) Red Wings
Series B: (2) Rangers vs (3) Flyers

Winners from A & B play each other.

Atlantic:

Series C: (1) Bruins vs (WC2) Blue Jackets
Series D: (2) Canadiens vs (3) Lightning

Winners from C & D play each other.

Curufinwe 04-01-2014 12:35 PM

They should just seed the top 8 teams from each conference, with the division winners getting the top two seeds. The matchups would be pretty much the same and there would be no confusion.

Hollywood Couturier 04-01-2014 12:40 PM

I like the division playoffs. Rivalries will be fantastic.

kudymen 04-01-2014 12:43 PM

Everytime I read about that play off system, when finishing the article I am like "oh, so that is how it works." The next day I am again - "how the hell does it work?"

LegionOfDoom91 04-01-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 82634279)
Assuming you have the Wings beating Pittsburgh, the second round would be Flyers/Wings and Bruins/Habs.

Alright I got you the wild cards would just replace the #1/2's spots then.

Karma 04-01-2014 12:44 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/stanleycup.htm

I have this bookmarked so I can see the playoff matches quickly. Really nice.

BernieParent 04-01-2014 12:59 PM

In reading the latest "Fix the Leafs" thread on the main boards, I was struck by an idea and am posting it here just to get it out of my mind: Phaneuf straight up for Coburn

There's much to be said against such a deal: Phaneuf's 7 x $7m contract versus Coburn's $4.5m cap hit and the whole "suck it, Phaneuf" rivalry with Hartnell. Plus, Phaneuf always seems good for a poor play late in important games. To counter this, Phaneuf is closer to a top-pairing defenseman than Coburn with much more offensive upside and the age is a wash (P 28 vs C 29), and we all know that Coburn is prone to frequent brain farts (though less this year).

With the toxic atmosphere that will only get worse if Toronto misses the playoffs, I think the Leaf FO would be open to moving Phaneuf for under his perceived value.

I'm offering this for discussion, and am not emotionally attached to the notion, so I won't take it personally if anyone vomits all over it.

Prongo 04-01-2014 01:02 PM

I think if you bring Phaneuf to Philly it would be to play with or on another pairing as Coburn. It wouldn't make us a better team.

Don't like it though, not at that price. Nor would I like what Toronto would want back for him.

King Forsberg 04-01-2014 01:03 PM

Ehh I wouldn't trade Coburn for Phaneuf. Maybe that's just me but Coburn is more reliable and is a leader on this team. I'd prefer not to lose him for the a hope that Phanuef rebounds.

LegionOfDoom91 04-01-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 82635419)
In reading the latest "Fix the Leafs" thread on the main boards, I was struck by an idea and am posting it here just to get it out of my mind: Phaneuf straight up for Coburn

There's much to be said against such a deal: Phaneuf's 7 x $7m contract versus Coburn's $4.5m cap hit and the whole "suck it, Phaneuf" rivalry with Hartnell. Plus, Phaneuf always seems good for a poor play late in important games. To counter this, Phaneuf is closer to a top-pairing defenseman than Coburn with much more offensive upside and the age is a wash (P 28 vs C 29), and we all know that Coburn is prone to frequent brain farts (though less this year).

With the toxic atmosphere that will only get worse if Toronto misses the playoffs, I think the Leaf FO would be open to moving Phaneuf for under his perceived value.

I'm offering this for discussion, and am not emotionally attached to the notion, so I won't take it personally if anyone vomits all over it.

From a hockey standpoint I don't really think that is a significant upgrade to the defense swapping out Coburn for Phaneuf. Phaneuf's better in the opposing zone while Coburn is better in his own zone.

Then you add in Phaneuf's contract into the equation & I would pass personally but I don't think he's as terrible as his rep amongst opposing fans is. I just don't see a significant gain in doing that type of trade I would rather have both on the team at the same time.

I really put no stock into the Hartnell thing fwiw, Hartnell's very good at getting under people's skin & Phaneuf's a sucker for it every time but I don't think it's any personal. It's just two guys playing a game.

PALE PWNR 04-01-2014 01:26 PM

If we are getting Phaneuf I want him to play WITH Coburn, I wouldn't deal him for Phaneuf. That said like I said in the other thread, or was it this thread? idk. I don't think I would be comfortable moving roster players for an upgrade on D unless the roster players involved were Lecavalier and/or Grossmann.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.