HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Cujo - LaBarbera = $200k (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=163754)

Face Wash 08-17-2005 10:25 PM

Cujo - LaBarbera = $200k

I sure hope this guy LaBarbera can play.

Ya know, going with youth is one thing, but the Kings could have had Cujo for one year at only $200k more than they got LaBarbera for. :dunno:

hattrick74 08-17-2005 10:30 PM

cujo is 38 though, i will be surprised if he is the player he was two yrs ago

Sam 08-17-2005 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash

Ya know, going with youth is one thing, but the Kings could have had Cujo for one year at only $200k more than they got LaBarbera for. :dunno:

Agreed. Cujo gets $900,000. Osgood gets $900,000. Prusek gets $625,000. And we give LaBarbera 2 years, $1,500,000? :dunno:

kingbrath 08-17-2005 10:44 PM

Im not to worried yet, I wanna see how The guy plays first

King Blazer 08-17-2005 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
Agreed. Cujo gets $900,000. Osgood gets $900,000. Prusek gets $625,000. And we give LaBarbera 2 years, $1,500,000? :dunno:

I'm thinking that LaBarbera might be on a 2-way and if he can't cut it in the NHL it's probably closer to 2-yrs at $150k

Hatter 08-18-2005 12:02 AM

LaBarbera has the potential to be a future number 1 nhl goalie as does Garon. I am truly excited to see them duke it out. Now if we could just sign a Redden type to give them a hand by fleshing out our D I think we are going to be allright.

Bandit 08-18-2005 01:35 AM

cujo = on his last leg
labarbera = up and coming potential stud

tough decision...

ILuvLA 08-18-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatter
LaBarbera has the potential to be a future number 1 nhl goalie as does Garon. I am truly excited to see them duke it out. Now if we could just sign a Redden type to give them a hand by fleshing out our D I think we are going to be allright.

Agree!!!

TwzKing 08-18-2005 04:09 AM

Quote:

AGREE!!!

B-MEL 08-18-2005 11:43 AM

Agree

Old Hickory 08-18-2005 11:54 AM

agree

blitzkriegs 08-18-2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

LaBarbera has the potential to be a future number 1 nhl goalie as does Garon. I am truly excited to see them duke it out. .

I've seen LaBarbera play several NHL games and nothing to me indicates that (1) warrants his contract, (2) he will be anything more than a backup at best.

PRMan 08-18-2005 02:47 PM

CuJo will NEVER have the chance to be a #1 goalie again. He's too old.

LaBarbera at least has a chance. BTW, he is on a ONE-WAY contract, meaning he can't easily be sent down to Manchester.

From OutsideTheGarden.com (no longer there, only cached on Google):
"The Rangers were apparently also caught off guard by the Kings offer of a 2 year one-way contract at 800,000 to Jason Labarbera. "

FLYLine24 08-18-2005 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
I'm thinking that LaBarbera might be on a 2-way and if he can't cut it in the NHL it's probably closer to 2-yrs at $150k

It was a 1 way contract. The Rangers were shocked when they found out a team offered him that which is why they did not match. He will be a backup at best in the NHL.

Willard 08-18-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash

The Yotes can have 38-year-old Cujo at that price, they are welcome to him. Cujo has played all of 30 games in the last 2 years and 3 months while the emerging LaBarbera, just now entering his prime, tore it up in the AHL and was an all-star there.

LaBarbera is clearly the wiser signing.

King Blazer 08-18-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88
It was a 1 way contract. The Rangers were shocked when they found out a team offered him that which is why they did not match. He will be a backup at best in the NHL.

It's possible that it's a one-way, but I find it odd that he doesn't appear on the Kings page on the NHLPA site...

For what it's worth, Rullier was reported as signing a one-way with the Rangers and he and his contract don't appear on the Rangers page at the NHLPA site either....

Other players that have been involved in transactions after both Rullier and Barbs contracts DO appear on both team's pages there...

KingPurpleDinosaur 08-18-2005 04:59 PM

i've been hearing from a couple of rangers fans that labarbera is seen as more of an AHL goaltender then an NHL one. so im not sure if he has "potential stud" written all over him as many of you would like. also, regardless of his potential, i still would have liked to see a veteran goaltender behind garon for stability. we got 2 question marks in goal, if both crash what are we goin to do? call hauser and fuku? or be forced into a trade? it's a big gamble IMO

saskhab 08-19-2005 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
I've seen LaBarbera play several NHL games and nothing to me indicates that (1) warrants his contract, (2) he will be anything more than a backup at best.

Hasn't Labarbera only played something like 5 NHL games?

Anyways, for what it's worth, I'm glad some team is giving him a shot, I just don't see the logic in L.A. giving him the shot...

KingPurpleDinosaur 08-19-2005 11:02 AM

ya, it is kinda weird. u kno, the more i think about it, the more i am thinking we overpaid a bit (not that it's that big a deal). i mean why didn't we just offer the league minimum for labarbera and get him on the condition that he has a chance at playing in the NHL. since he wasn't goin to have a shot w/ the rags, im sure it woulda looked enticing.

anyways, hope he does well for us. ranger fans don't seem all that heart broken to lose him, which could be a bad thing.

GoneFullHextall 08-19-2005 11:30 AM

Labs played in front of a very good team in Hartford that used a defensive system. Dont get me wrong he is a good goalie and could very well work out in LA. If he doesnt work out he gets sent to Manchester where he will be for the rest of the season because He would never clear waivers coming back if they needed him.
I wouldnt judge Lababera stats in the NHL right now. remember when he was called up with the Rangers that team was a friggin mess, they had no system, they had made many trades cleaning house ect. Me personally I think He will be a very solid backup for the Kings. He wont be spectacular but will just be solid.

GKJ 08-19-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit
labarbera = up and coming potential stud

Let's be real here. He is not a stud. Not even close.

KingPurpleDinosaur 08-19-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Labs played in front of a very good team in Hartford that used a defensive system. Dont get me wrong he is a good goalie and could very well work out in LA. If he doesnt work out he gets sent to Manchester where he will be for the rest of the season because He would never clear waivers coming back if they needed him.
I wouldnt judge Lababera stats in the NHL right now. remember when he was called up with the Rangers that team was a friggin mess, they had no system, they had made many trades cleaning house ect. Me personally I think He will be a very solid backup for the Kings. He wont be spectacular but will just be solid.

why wouldn't he make waivers? we signed him off the market, not like we traded for him or something. we were the highest bidder, nobody else felt he was worth mroe then what we paid, i dont' think it'd be a problem for him to clear through waivers UNLESS he has a stellar season with us this year.

blitzkriegs 08-19-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskhab
Hasn't Labarbera only played something like 5 NHL games?

Anyways, for what it's worth, I'm glad some team is giving him a shot, I just don't see the logic in L.A. giving him the shot...

Sure. And it was nothing impressive based on his OWN skills outside of the team in front of him. A LOT of the goals he gave up were not defensive breakdowns or 'systems.'

copperandblue 08-19-2005 01:32 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am curious - what happened to Chechmanek?

Is the current plan to go with Labarbera and Garon only or are they looking a bringing in a little more experience?

Captain Ron 08-19-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperandblue
I don't want to hijack this thread but I am curious - what happened to Chechmanek?

Is the current plan to go with Labarbera and Garon only or are they looking a bringing in a little more experience?

Cechmanek went back to Europe. Right now the Kings are planning on going with Garon and Labarbera.