HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who can afford Martin St. Louis??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=164179)

mazmin 08-19-2005 03:36 AM

Who can afford Martin St. Louis???

Who can afford last years MVP at this stage in the game?

After Tampa gave LeCavalier WAY too much money there is simply not enogh coin to keep St. Louis (and probably not Richards come next contract).

Who are the real candidates to get this guy? I really can't think of one team that wants to add 5-6+ million to the payroll after all these crazy signings?

I'd like to see him back in Tampa but will he play for 3-4 million?

fcbarcelona 08-19-2005 04:01 AM

montreal? nashville? pittsburgh? there'll be plenty of suitors. but that doesn't change the fact its an injustice that tampa's team is being torn apart by the cap. its truly tragic and i empathize with lightning fans.

KRM 08-19-2005 04:07 AM

I would trade Matt Cooke for him :)

PapaBear* 08-19-2005 04:21 AM

just curious, what did vinnys new contract go for?

Pycalusus 08-19-2005 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jericholic19
montreal? nashville? pittsburgh? there'll be plenty of suitors. but that doesn't change the fact its an injustice that tampa's team is being torn apart by the cap. its truly tragic and i empathize with lightning fans.

It's not being torn apart by the cap it's being torn apart by bad management. Take a team like the Devils, they've let a lot of really good players go over the years because they wanted too much. They seem to have done all right. GM's need to get a back bone. Ottawa did it with Yashin, all they got was Jason Spezza and Zdeno Chara in return. It can work.

CaptainShark 08-19-2005 04:50 AM

Quote:

I doubt that the Bolts would trade him to an Eastern-Conference-Team!

fcbarcelona 08-19-2005 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pycalusus
It's not being torn apart by the cap it's being torn apart by bad management. Take a team like the Devils, they've let a lot of really good players go over the years because they wanted too much. They seem to have done all right. GM's need to get a back bone. Ottawa did it with Yashin, all they got was Jason Spezza and Zdeno Chara in return. It can work.

bad management my butt. they won the stanley cup while their hart trophy winner was only signed for 1.5 M. their team's payroll was 34 M in the pre-cap era. teams that cultivate their own players, as the lightning have done, should have the luxury of having them play for'em for a while...especially when they've won a cup. as a fan, its disheartening. as a player, it sucks.

however, its true that teams can adjust...but its certainly not desirable and more often doesn't work unless your team continually pumps in quality players from the minors as the senators and devils have done. its not nearly as easy as you're suggesting.

Claypool* 08-19-2005 05:08 AM

Quote:

bad management my butt. they won the stanley cup while their hart trophy winner was only signed for 1.5 M. their team's payroll was 34 M in the pre-cap era.

If Tampa wanted to keep Khabibulin, St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Richards now under the old CBA, their payroll would have to escalade into the 50's.

MAF 08-19-2005 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBear
just curious, what did vinnys new contract go for?

A 4-year deal with $6.8 mil per year.

Timmy1973 08-19-2005 05:18 AM

Tampa's success was a good deal of luck too. A bunch of league throw aways, a couple of good moves, and smart drafting fielded a Cup winner on the cheap.

As far as who can afford St. Louis, I don't know who'd be interested at that kind of price, but don't rule out the Lightning resigning him. I'm not sure they will sign Dave Andreychuk for more than what the Wings gave Yzerman and they rescinded the team's contract offer to once highly thought of RW Nikita Alexeev. This won't account for much money, but this should save the team a better part of a million. So we'll see what happens.

FanSince2014 08-19-2005 06:28 AM

Quote:

Blame TB management for going CRAZY with the Lecavalier signing.

ceber 08-19-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

bad management my butt.

What would Vinny have made last season? 4.375? Take away 24% puts you around 3.5. I don't think nearly doubling the salary of the guy who's not even your best performer is good management. Might not necessarily be bad management, but I gotta think you could've pushed hard to sign him for closer to 5.

Pure Slaughter Value 08-19-2005 06:45 AM

I hate the Rangers, but they're the perfect and logical candidate. They have a ton of money under the cap and enough good young prospects that they can afford to trade one or two.

Wouldn't doubt that St. Louis would thrive in NYC both personally and professionally. He has his Cup ring and in NY he'd play with Jagr and be a locker room presence.

Wisent 08-19-2005 07:03 AM

It woldn't get torn apart if the GMs wouldn't think that they have to match the offers of the of the others. They should just keep wages low (see Hejduk and others) so that they can keep even a team with three star players together.

MojoJojo 08-19-2005 07:10 AM

Are the Caps still below the floor?

kimzey59 08-19-2005 07:10 AM

St. Louis HAS to come to St. Louis(incidently we probably can afford to pay him, it's the trade cost that would put us off).

Sorry, but somebody had to say it.

free0717 08-19-2005 07:12 AM

The league asked for it and they got it. Cost certainty has its price. Look at the NFL. How many teams give up good players because they cant fit them under the cap. The same thing is happening in the NHL, ie Tampa and Colorado.

That is the price of cost certainty. Owners, you asked for it, now deal with it.

B.D. Gallof 08-19-2005 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAF
A 4-year deal with $6.8 mil per year.

:amazed: good lord. Way too much. 5 mil to 5.5 tops was more apropo

nrf83 08-19-2005 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value
I hate the Rangers, but they're the perfect and logical candidate. They have a ton of money under the cap and enough good young prospects that they can afford to trade one or two.

Wouldn't doubt that St. Louis would thrive in NYC both personally and professionally. He has his Cup ring and in NY he'd play with Jagr and be a locker room presence.

I love St Louis, but the NYR have no intentions of trying to acquire him. We have the assests and cap space, but we are at least 2-3 elite players away from competing. Taking on St Louis with his salary, his age, and what it would cost in prospects doesn't make any sense. I like the way Slats is re-building team

mschinner 08-19-2005 07:21 AM

St. Louis

Yesterday on ESPN News, they had E.J. Hradek on and they were discussing where St. Louis could go if he doesn't take less money to be with the team. The first team he thought would be a serious bidder for St. Louis was Minnesota. He did not say what the Wild might give up. It does make alot of sense, the Wild have not been very active in the FA market and they do have alot of young talent.

Blind Gardien 08-19-2005 07:28 AM

Lecavalier hasn't shown himself to be an NHL superstar yet. The signs are there that he might be. Until then, he shouldn't be paid like a Thornton or Iginla. That was pure folly. Shave $2M off his salary. Or shave $6.8M off his salary while he sits and pouts on the sidelines and learns his lesson. Somebody needs to set the tone.

Dan Boyle doesn't strike me as a guy who needs an average of $3.33M on a longterm deal. Kubina and Sydor make $1M less than that, and Boyle slots in there. Shave $1M off Boyle's salary.

They let Stillman walk, good decision, but they should have known what was coming, why add Prospal back at $1.9M?

They needed something in goal. Is Sean Burke's $1.6M a better deal than the $900k that Cujo or Osgood got? Shave a bit more there.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to see how they could have saved $5M, which would have let them sign St.Louis for $6M, still have enough left over to give Andreychuk his $1M golden retirement handshake, and then have a few million left over to start planning Richards' contract with.

But all that said, hey, if NJ and TB want to hamstring themselves a bit with salaries, I'm all for that!!!! ;)

txpd 08-19-2005 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claypool
If Tampa wanted to keep Khabibulin, St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Richards now under the old CBA, their payroll would have to escalade into the 50's.

thats correct and thats the point. at $50k they would have been WAY in the red.

So these player losses would have come one way or the other with that team.

Sotnos 08-19-2005 07:55 AM

I'm so glad you folks think you know how to run Tampa better than our GM does. You should forward all your suggestions to him. ;)

Volcanologist 08-19-2005 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos
I'm so glad you folks think you know how to run Tampa better than our GM does. You should forward all your suggestions to him. ;)

Kind of a cop-out.

Boltsfan2029 08-19-2005 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber
What would Vinny have made last season? 4.375? Take away 24% puts you around 3.5. I don't think nearly doubling the salary of the guy who's not even your best performer is good management. Might not necessarily be bad management, but I gotta think you could've pushed hard to sign him for closer to 5.

Are you assuming they didn't try to get him to sign for less?

Be that as it may, the alternative was a 1-year deal and losing him to free agency -- our GM openly admitted we couldn't match the offers he'd get next year. The market had been set already, Lecavalier's agent stalled negotiations to be certain of that. We had the choice of losing him or signing him for more than we'd like. Not much of an alternative.

The bit about doubling the salary is interesting, tho. There's reportedly an offer on the table for five years which would guarantee him $25M. For a guy who after rollback (if you use it for Vinny, gotta use it for Marty) would have been at about $1.33M, $5M (almost quadruple) seems more than sufficient.