HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Preds sign Randy Robitaille (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=164378)

Seth Lake 08-19-2005 03:33 PM

Preds sign Randy Robitaille

I guess he will compete for a center role...

If he makes it and Hall stays at the wing, I would see Johnson as the second line center.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?item_id=5502

Moneil18 08-19-2005 04:21 PM

Why would they sign this guy. he was a total flop the last time he was here and the team is so much better now and he isn't. He'll make a nice addition to the Milwaukee roster but barring some miracle I don't see him with the Preds. He puts up big numbers in the minors but he can't seem to transition that game to the NHL level.

barrytrotzsneck 08-19-2005 04:21 PM

i don't have a problem with this. he looked much better in atlanta and pittsburgh than he ever did here. you just can't ask him to play defense, because it won't happen. It gives us some options, at least.

Moneil18 08-19-2005 04:28 PM

I guess, I was just real disappointed with him last time becuase he had done so well in the AHL with the Bruins.

triggrman 08-19-2005 04:31 PM

I really have no feeling on this. I am not a fan of centers that refuse to play both ways.

Enoch 08-19-2005 11:14 PM

He can't play defense, but he is pretty fast and does have a slight flair in the offensive department. I like the signing.....it certainly can't hurt us, and he can't be worse than Arkhipov.

Pred303 08-20-2005 05:59 AM

notice poile signed robaitaille to a two way contract....if he makes it and has improved defensively,he'll help us..if not he can help milwaukee's even worse centerman shortage(with only fiddler and smithson returning)...this is a good simple,virtually no-risk move for the organization..

offensively the guy has untapped potential...and put on the best team he's ever played on,might just be the nudge the guy needs to contribute

Matsi 08-20-2005 07:02 AM

randy's a good player and will either make it as your second or third line center, depending on how he performs. he definetely has all the tools to be a good nhl player, but has always lacked defensive conscience.

braindead 08-20-2005 12:11 PM

I cant see him even making the big club. This seems like an Ads signing with a potential for callup. If Trotz loudly griped about Shiskanov's defensive awareness when he was up for a couple of games, double R will not be playing 2nd line center for the Preds. The few Pens games I saw with him (granted a bad team), he hadn't improved from when we last had him. IMO there are too many other ways to configure our current talent for him to be on the ice opening night.

jstreet 08-20-2005 01:08 PM

just doesnt make sense to me unless he is headed straight for Milwaukee. I'd rather have Arkhipov than him. :dunno:

barrytrotzsneck 08-20-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
just doesnt make sense to me unless he is headed straight for Milwaukee. I'd rather have Arkhipov than him. :dunno:

i wouldn't. arkhipov couldn't score OR play defense. at least robo might score a goal or two.

golfmade 08-20-2005 01:41 PM

Isn't Randy pretty good at faceoffs too?

barrytrotzsneck 08-20-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade
Isn't Randy pretty good at faceoffs too?

yes. he and nichol are a definite improvement there.

handtrick 08-20-2005 02:20 PM

Current Centers Face Off %

Here is our current true centers and their face off numbers for 2003/4 per NHL.com:

Scot Nichol 57% [total 1178]
Greg Johnson 55% [1607]
Randy Robitaille 50.2% [1069]
David Legwand 45% [1109]

Jerred Smithson 64% [only 86 in the NHL, AHL doesn't keep the stat that I could find]

barrytrotzsneck 08-20-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
Here is our current true centers and their face off numbers for 2003/4 per NHL.com:

Scot Nichol 57% [total 1178]
Greg Johnson 55% [1607]
Randy Robitaille 50.2% [1069]
David Legwand 45% [1109]

Jerred Smithson 64% [only 86 in the NHL, AHL doesn't keep the stat that I could find]

the important thing to remember here is that Johnson's numbers are a bit misleading. We lost a number of key faceoffs because he gets tossed so much due to his unorthodox faceoff style. I'd feel a little better with him as a third option in there.

handtrick 08-20-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
the important thing to remember here is that Johnson's numbers are a bit misleading. We lost a number of key faceoffs because he gets tossed so much due to his unorthodox faceoff style. I'd feel a little better with him as a third option in there.

You know, NMK, I was thinking that as I was typing it, but have never seen a stat about getting thrown out have you?
I would estimate that he gets thrown out 30% of the time [just a gut, have never actually counted], and I bet we lose 65-75% of those that he gets tossed.....

Can you describe the reason he always gets tossed, as I haven't been able to figure it out?

barrytrotzsneck 08-20-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
You know, NMK, I was thinking that as I was typing it, but have never seen a stat about getting thrown out have you?
I would estimate that he gets thrown out 30% of the time [just a gut, have never actually counted], and I bet we lose 65-75% of those that he gets tossed.....

Can you describe the reason he always gets tossed, as I haven't been able to figure it out?

he "cheats" in. i don't really know how to explain it otherwise.

Pattypred 08-21-2005 06:54 AM

I thought Johnson got tossed sometimes because the "other" guys were cheating too.

I don't believe all the center tosses are due to the center only.

:confused:

Pred303 08-21-2005 07:46 AM

well the best way i can explain it is that johnson tries to "anticipate" the drop...the method he uses for faceoffs at home(where the road player has to put his stick on the ice first)is he tries to lift the opponents stick,step in and kick the puck back....if you make contact with the stick prior to the drop you get kicked out....johnson does this a lot,trying to beat them to the puck....on the road he primarily tries to outquick the opponent,simply drawing the puck back before the guy can lift his stick or beat him to the puck,so he actually gets thrown out more at home ususally...and of course,like patty says,you can get thrown out when your forwards step over the imaginary line too,somethings that happens every now and then

the worst part of being thrown out of course is that the followon guy cann't take any risks,because if he gets thrownout it's a delay penalty,so the 2nd guy in's win percentage is always going to be quite a bit lower than normal...this is one of the primary reasons walker's % was only 41 or so %,he was the guy who many times took the 2nd draw attempt after johnson got tossed before sullivan arrived..i actually think walker is a much better faceoff taker than his numbers suggest

Seth Lake 08-21-2005 03:36 PM

Ok...

OK...this might sound crazy and with Robitaille being listed as a center in the NP press release it is even crazier, but...

I like the idea of moving Adam Hall to center if we cannot sign/trade for another centermen...also Randy Robitaille has played left wing in the NHL previously, so...

Paul Kariya - David Legwand - Scott Walker
Martin Erat - Adam Hall - Steve Sullivan
Randy Robitaille - Greg Johnson - Scott Hartnell
Darcy Hordichuk - Scott Nichol - Jordin Tootoo

Jeremy Stevenson and Simon Gamache as spare forwards. These two give us an option if we want to get bigger (Stevenson) or faster (Gamache) depending on our opponent.

With the previous posts about Johnson having the tendency of getting thrown out of the circle and Robitaille's defensive lapses I think pairing them up would be a good move. Robitaille can work the wings with Hartnell and allow Johnson to take care of the defensive responsibilities of the center position, while also providing a solid insurance policy in the circle if Johnson gets tossed.

Hall at second line center is not the preferred choice due to his playmaking shortcomings, but I think with Erat and Sullivan on his wings for an extended period he will learn to adjust his game a little bit while taking care of the defensive responsibilities of the position.

These lines give us three forward lines with speed and scoring ability, while not sacrificing defensively at the same time. Obviously all three lines aren't going to be scoring threats every game, but it gives us a better chance at having two lines getting hot in any given game than previous season's lineups.

Honestly though, I see the Robitaille signing as a depth signing (two-way contract) to give Gamache and Smithson more competition in camp. I think Randy will be faced with an ultimatium when he comes into camp that to play in Nashville he needs to become defensively responsible and balance out his game, otherwise he will play for Milwaukee. I've seen Robitaille play a couple of seasons in Providence (AHL), he can be a solid two-way player...it's really going to be a matter of what he decides to do.

nneate 08-30-2005 09:53 AM

I believe Robitaille led the swiss league in scoring, ahead of Rick Nash and others. But like you all stated, its his defensive game that is a cause for worry, just gotta wait and see if it has improved.

AdmiralPred 08-30-2005 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake
Honestly though, I see the Robitaille signing as a depth signing (two-way contract) to give Gamache and Smithson more competition in camp. I think Randy will be faced with an ultimatium when he comes into camp that to play in Nashville he needs to become defensively responsible and balance out his game, otherwise he will play for Milwaukee. I've seen Robitaille play a couple of seasons in Providence (AHL), he can be a solid two-way player...it's really going to be a matter of what he decides to do.

Ok, ok. I will research this in the future but, I am going to ask anyway. If Robitaille does get sent to Milw. will he be above or below the $75k waiver threshhold if he gets a recall? And, is it his choice to take the $75k salary or is there a salary predetermined in the two-way that he negotiated two weeks ago?

This applies to all the potential Ads call-ups as well. There isn't an AHL slary listing that I am aware of to check out Ads current minor league salaries. For some reason I have been under the impression that with a two-way a player's AHL salary is 3/10 or 1/3 the NHL salary. As I said, I am going to have to research the two-way, callup, send down rules, but I know there are knowledgable people here.

What I do know is that many AHL vets are making the decision to hurt/help their call-up chances by accepting contract more than $75k or taking the pay cut to get down to the threshhold.