HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Jason York (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=164388)

Waveburner 08-19-2005 03:51 PM

Jason York
 
Hey Preds fans, just looking for some opinions on York. He played the last couple seasons with Nashville and I was wondering what your impressions were of him. What style of game does he play? Is he a solid #5/6 d-man or more like depth material? How much do you think he will sign for? All opinions are appreciated :)

barrytrotzsneck 08-19-2005 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveburner
Hey Preds fans, just looking for some opinions on York. He played the last couple seasons with Nashville and I was wondering what your impressions were of him. What style of game does he play? Is he a solid #5/6 d-man or more like depth material? How much do you think he will sign for? All opinions are appreciated :)


He's a lot better than most posters here will give him credit for. He was a whipping boy after his injury last year, but I never thought he was as bad as some felt he was. He clearly lost something when he had his face broken by Arkhipov, but he was still a pretty solid second pairing guy for us..though I don't think he'd make this year's team...and realistically at this stage he's a number 5 guy. Could be a good guy for a young team to pick up.

Waveburner 08-19-2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
He's a lot better than most posters here will give him credit for. He was a whipping boy after his injury last year, but I never thought he was as bad as some felt he was. He clearly lost something when he had his face broken by Arkhipov, but he was still a pretty solid second pairing guy for us..though I don't think he'd make this year's team...and realistically at this stage he's a number 5 guy. Could be a good guy for a young team to pick up.

The Canuck only have 4 NHL d-men right now. I think either Kevin Bieksa or Tomas Mojzis (2 rookies) will compete for the #6 spot, and the #7 spot will be between AHL guys like Butenschon and Baumgartner. But we need at least one more NHL vet d-man to teach the rookies on the 3rd pairing. From your post, it sounds like he'd be a very solid #5 to teach a guy like Bieksa. Nashville's D is insanely deep, so it doesn't surprise me that the Preds probably wouldn't sign him back. Unfortunately, after the top 4, the Canucks D resembles that of the Pens. Just ugly.

handtrick 08-19-2005 07:18 PM

I agree with NMK....he didn't get enough credit last year.....and I thought his return to the line-up helped to stabilize the d-corp during the final games of the playoff push.

I think he would be a solid acquisition for the Canucks for a one year contract in the 600-700k range.

Enoch 08-19-2005 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
I agree with NMK....he didn't get enough credit last year.....and I thought his return to the line-up helped to stabilize the d-corp during the final games of the playoff push.

I think he would be a solid acquisition for the Canucks for a one year contract in the 600-700k range.

The thing that I always appreciated about York was his tenacity. He didn't give up. He also was the only one who really worked at trying to clear the net area. Unfortunately for him, he simply cannot clear the crease...he is too small. BUT he definitely did try, and for the Predators last season......that was a huge weakness. For that, I gave him a lot of props.

I will go with the consensus. 5th defensemen, decent skating/awareness, but can mess up....17 minutes a night.....6-800k

Peter Griffin 08-19-2005 11:29 PM

Sounds like he'd be a good fit with the Canucks. I know he only scored 15 points last season with the Preds, but how much time did he spend on the PP? Was he tried in an offensive role at all? I ask because York used to be a decent offensive d-man, and with the Canucks trading Sopel, and with York being a RH'ed shot, I wonder if they'd try him on the 2nd PP unit from time to time, could help to ease the loss of Soaps.

Pred303 08-20-2005 05:44 AM

he got zero pp time with the preds,who are very deep in offensive pp guys.......the preds used him primarily as a pk'er on special teams....he was the guy that wound up having to try to clear the crease on the pred pk...and like enoch mentioned,he worked hard,but simply physically wasn't able to do that job well

what really happened to york with the preds is of course numbers of so many guys coming up thru the preds system,and the fact that york's salary was way out of range with his talent level....this salary(2mil when he came over to the preds) doomed him here if nothing else did..

signed for a lesser amount,york would play on a 2nd pairing on many of the 15 weakest teams,and the 3rd pairing on many in the top half


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.