HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I heard Cy (the Hulk Hogan guy) got tossed out yesterday??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1646031)

Whale Mingo 04-13-2014 10:56 AM

I heard Cy (the Hulk Hogan guy) got tossed out yesterday???

Anyone know if that is true and what the story is? Cy doesn't usually cause trouble. I know some of his signs have tip-toed the line, but I don't think I've ever seen him do anything worth getting tossed out.

???

LetangInTheSO 04-13-2014 11:02 AM

There was a mention of it in the GDT yesterday. Apparently he had a cardboard cutout of Pierre McGuire with the word "Regis" (Pierre's actual first name) written across the forehead. Presumably that drew the ire of Pierre/NBC and they asked the stadium staff to have him removed. Seems VERY bizarre to me. Guy paid his money, I say he's entitled to make an innocent joke targeted at Pierre.

MeticulouslyDishevel 04-13-2014 11:02 AM

Yep, he got tossed.

Quote:

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 19h
Here's Cy, lifelong season-ticket holder and cancer survivor, and his sign. REGIS is Pierre's real name. That's it. pic.twitter.com/C0eJvpPK7H
Quote:

From Cy to me just now: 'hey buddy, was told by NBC and NHL wanted me to leave. I cant even talk to defend. Didnt know REGIS was dirty word'
Quote:

Jen the Barista ‏@omgitsjen 19h
@Dejan_Kovacevic he tweeted that he got kicked out bc of a giant Pierre Head with the name REGIS plastered on the forehead. Super offensive.
Quote:

News flash: NBC has no authority to have anyone removed from a venue. Even at Olympics. If Cy was tossed, that's on @Penguins.
Edit: If they had a problem with the sign they should have taken it away.

SidTheKid8787 04-13-2014 11:04 AM

As far as i know it's true.

Had a blowup Pierre McGuire sign with "Regis" written on his forehead. "Regis" is apparently Pierre's real first name or something?

I'm assuming NBC didn't like it and asked the Pens to remove him/the sign.

I dunno why he didn't just give them the sign and stay for the hockey game though?

ETA: Theres probably more to the story here. They probably asked for the sign and he probably stood his ground and said No, you can remove me instead. So i wouldn't put the full blame on the Pens staff. He should've just gave up the sign.

Ozz 04-13-2014 11:07 AM

That's incredibly lame, seems there must be something else to the story.

TheStinger 04-13-2014 11:08 AM

McGuire got upset over a sign with his real name on it? But....but...wow...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...gif?1377793573

PensPlz 04-13-2014 11:10 AM

Why not just confiscate the sign? Why toss him?

Whale Mingo 04-13-2014 11:11 AM

I'm not the type to make a big issue out of a non issue, but if there isn't more to the story than just "Regis" written on it then someone needs to answer for this IMO.

Cy can't even talk very well these days so it would have been tough for him to tell his side. Again, I hope there is more to it than just the sign. If not, tossing a life long fan who is fighting cancer because of a sign you didn't like should not end well for someone.

TheStinger 04-13-2014 11:11 AM

Next NBC game (probably a playoff game), it would be hilarious if 500 people showed up with the same thing and see what they did.

Whale Mingo 04-13-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStinger (Post 83307941)
Next NBC game (probably a playoff game), it would be hilarious if 500 people showed up with the same thing and see what they did.

Social media is a very effective tool these days and nothing would surprise me.

IcedCapp 04-13-2014 11:15 AM

I would boldly suggest that there is more to the story than we know, and while many of us have developed a new-found level of disdain for the Penguins organization, we should give them the benefit of the doubt until everything comes out, simply because, while their on-ice attitude may be arrogant, they are generally pretty good to the ones they love.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 04-13-2014 11:16 AM

Seems like a petty move by the Pens to appease broadcasters.

LetangInTheSO 04-13-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedCapp (Post 83308109)
I would boldly suggest that there is more to the story than we know, and while many of us have developed a new-found level of disdain for the Penguins organization, we should give them the benefit of the doubt until everything comes out, simply because, while their on-ice attitude may be arrogant, they are generally pretty good to the ones they love.

A little torn on this issue, but I think the above makes sense. In all of my encounters with Pens fans/media relations (and I've had many), they've been absolutely fantastic. I'll at least reserve judgment until the Pens tell their side of this.

TheStinger 04-13-2014 11:21 AM

There is a story going round that Cy said "F You" to our bald headed friend. But there is nothing about what happened prior to that. I am imagining Regis getting upset at the sign and yelling at Cy to put it away and that brought about the FU to which Regis then called the security.

That would be my reading of it anyway.

ColePens 04-13-2014 11:21 AM

I was in section 102 and was quite appalled by this. First of all... the guy is a long time fan and struggles to get up and down the steps. Take whatever you want from him in terms of signs/fat heads/etc. Don't kick the ****ing guy out. It caused quite a stir because it took him so long to get back up the stairs.

To be honest - the signs were not very PG. Lots of sexual innuendo to it, but just take the ****ing signs and move on. I was disappointed with how that went. It all happened just a few rows from me. Some of the signs definitely had content that wouldn't be allowed in the stadium. It wasn't just REGIS.

I thought it was handled ****ing terrible.

edit: Also... they are right about 1 thing. The guy cannot speak. He was really unhealthy and struggled. There is no way he was telling anyone to "**** off". It was poorly managed and handled.

K Fleur 04-13-2014 11:24 AM

Watcha gonna do brother, when Regis Pierre Mcguire tells security on you!!

invictus 04-13-2014 11:25 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-74CO51jpXO...1.32.06+AM.png

Sivek 04-13-2014 11:28 AM

Signs like that hurt the Pittsburgh Penguins brand and family-friendly image the team wants to protect.

Whale Mingo 04-13-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 83308399)
I was in section 102 and was quite appalled by this. First of all... the guy is a long time fan and struggles to get up and down the steps. Take whatever you want from him in terms of signs/fat heads/etc. Don't kick the ****ing guy out. It caused quite a stir because it took him so long to get back up the stairs.

To be honest - the signs were not very PG. Lots of sexual innuendo to it, but just take the ****ing signs and move on. I was disappointed with how that went. It all happened just a few rows from me. Some of the signs definitely had content that wouldn't be allowed in the stadium. It wasn't just REGIS.

I thought it was handled ****ing terrible.

edit: Also... they are right about 1 thing. The guy cannot speak. He was really unhealthy and struggled. There is no way he was telling anyone to "**** off". It was poorly managed and handled.

This being a first hand account of the story is very disturbing to me. Cy knows better than to cross the line with the signs, but if he didn't put up a fight when they asked him to turn them over then everyone is at fault here and nobody looks good in the end.

bathroomSTAAL 04-13-2014 11:37 AM

Regis is a pretty stupid name

Jacob 04-13-2014 11:45 AM

If he had signs with innuendo or inappropriate material (not just McGuire's head with REGIS on it) then they weren't in the wrong to remove him.

And I don't like Cy's dishonesty in implying he only had the one sign.

Mr Wu 04-13-2014 11:45 AM

When I hear stories like this, I'm glad that I don't spend one cent on the NHL.

America. You are free to do as we tell you.

SidTheKid8787 04-13-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 83309505)
If he had signs with innuendo or inappropriate material (not just McGuire's head with REGIS on it) then they weren't in the wrong to remove him.

Feel the same way. First time hearing about these other signs.
Give up the signs or get tossed.

Crafton 04-13-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Wu (Post 83309513)

lol. when did you develop such an expansive vocabulary?

Jacob 04-13-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Wu (Post 83309513)

I don't see what this has to do with America. CEC isn't a public place. It's privately owned and operated. Is it cool if I come into your house and hold up signs that are offensive to you?