HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Report: Habs Select Steve Begin in Waiver Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16569)

Freebooter 10-03-2003 08:52 AM

Report: Habs Select Steve Begin in Waiver Draft

It has been reported an another board that the Habs have picked up Steve Begin from the Sabres. Following is his scouting report from tsn.ca:

Preseason projected role:
Begin should play a fourth-line role as a shift disturber with the Sabres in 2003-04. He could set a career high for games played in Buffalo.

Assets:
Is fearless and can easily get under an opponent's skin. Possesses excellent open-ice hitting ability. Is solid in his own zone and much stronger than his size suggests.

Flaws:
Has very limited scoring ability. Tends to take bad penalties. Is undersized for his role at only 6-0, 190 pounds.
Career potential Fourth-line agitator.

Mike8 10-03-2003 09:08 AM

Excellent!

Begin is cheap, and will add sandpaper to this lineup. While the Canadiens need more toughness on their top 6 forwards, there's a dire need for toughness anywhere in the lineup.

Begin will help add this, and is perfect for the fourth line role in my opinion.

He is also a coachable player, from what I've seen.

Blunt182 10-03-2003 09:17 AM

I thought you couldn't pick a player from a team in your division???

Dripper 10-03-2003 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunt182

Habs took Begin in the second round, and it is now confirmed by radio-canada (a TV station in Montreal)

Mike8 10-03-2003 09:35 AM

Excellent!

Begin is cheap, and will add sandpaper to this lineup. While the Canadiens need more toughness on their top 6 forwards, there's a dire need for toughness anywhere in the lineup.

Begin will help add this, and is perfect for the fourth line role in my opinion.

Habsolution 10-03-2003 09:35 AM

Quote:

In the 1st round...

The habs most likely picked him in the 2nd.

Freebooter 10-03-2003 09:36 AM

Quote:

That' s only true for the first round. Also, you can arrange for another team to take a player on your behalf and trade for him.

Freebooter 10-03-2003 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Excellent!

You're right. He is like Brian Skrudland, a bit smaller and a better skater. I like the fact that he was th Calder Cup MVP a couple of years ago.

Really good pick up by the Habs. Hiring Pierre Gauthier is starting to pay off.

Blunt182 10-03-2003 09:39 AM

Great....another guy who's under 6 feet and who can't score....Just what we need!!!!

JohnnyB11 10-03-2003 09:44 AM

Steve Begin is a nice waiver draft addition for the Habs! I saw alot of him when he played in the AHL - he was on the 2001 Calder Cup winning Flames team, where he won Playoff MVP honours. He was a perennial fan favorite and causing a disturbance is what he does best. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with this move.

Blunt182 10-03-2003 09:44 AM

Great....another guy who's under 6 feet and who can't score....Just what we need!!!!

Mike8 10-03-2003 10:30 AM

Quote:

Actually he is what Montreal needs (to the extent that we can't expect to find power forwards available in the waiver draft).

Montreal needs players that give it their all on every shift, play with character, intensity, and are coachable. This is precisely what Begin offers. He adds sandpaper to a very weak lineup.

There was no legitimate fourth line center on this club. Kilger MIGHT have grown into one, but that's a maybe. I'm more comfortable with seeing a legitimate agitator and fourth liner added to the team instead of relying on the often-soft Kilger.

habsfan11 10-03-2003 10:44 AM

with that addition of begin and langdon to thhe habs line-up, 2 players must be subtacted, personally i would rather see ryder in the line-up instead of begin

Capitano 10-03-2003 11:42 AM

I would love to see Dwyer dropped in favour of Langdon and Dackell or Juneau dropped for Begin. Langdon is a tough guy who is very good for the room. He's not one of the smart-mouth goons like Odjick, he's a team player that sticks up for his teammates. Begin is an agitator for sure. He's one of those guys that would go through a wall to score a goal...I'm glad the Sabres didn't protect him because those types of guys kill us all the time.

Overall I'm very happy with the pickups!

Cap

KILLger 10-03-2003 03:11 PM

What's going to be the lineup, now? (injury-freed Habs' lineup)

Just a guess:

Bulis-Koivu-Audette
Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik
Sundström-Perreault-Ward
Kilger-Begin-Ryder
Langdon

Outs: Juneau, Dackell, Dwyer, Plekanec and Higgins.

didjuicythat 10-03-2003 03:25 PM

While I'm not pretending I've seen him play many times, I'd say Begin is a pretty decent acquisition by Gainey. He's what we commonly call an on-ice ***** talker. Perhaps he's not the goon we've been looking (which we now have in Langdon), but he is a true warrior, and is willing to give all he's got night in and night out for his team.

However, the question that comes to mind is: what role will he play, as we will necessarily have quite a few guys in the stands (healthy scratchs) every game. Perhaps some players we weren't expecting to be sent down in the AHL will be.

Munchausen 10-03-2003 03:32 PM

Good aquisitions but... I'm a bit worried for what's coming next.

Will the Habs release Ryder? That would be a boneheaded move. Will they release Dackell and Dwyer maybe? I could see it but given nobody will be intersted in them, it will continue to pile up the salaries in Hamilton.

Very good to have aquired an agitator and a fighter but now we need to be careful about the 2 forwards we will unprotect.

Agalloch 10-03-2003 03:35 PM

so we now have 28 players in camp....

Higgins, Plekanec and Hainsey/or Bouillon will be send down... to Hamilton.

Then what we're going to do with Juneau? Dackell? Ryder?

habitue* 10-03-2003 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st4ticx
so we now have 28 players in camp....

Higgins, Plekanec and Hainsey/or Bouillon will be send down... to Hamilton.

Then what we're going to do with Juneau? Dackell? Ryder?

Higgins, Plekanek, Komisarek and Hainsey are still young rookies and have two-way contracts, I think Hossa is in the same situation. Ward, Dwyer and Ryder have to be put on waivers before being sent to Hamilton. So, I guess they gonna keep them for the time being. Bouillon will stick with the team (as the 7th d-man) for the moment

With Traverse and Dykhuis already in the minors (with their NHL salary), I doubt Gainey will send two more vets down there (Juneau or Dackell for example).

skidboot 10-03-2003 05:26 PM

Quote:

I think we should of picked a soft primadonna.

:rolleyes:

Hopefully he can be a real SOB on the ice. Lord knows we need it.

Brisebois 10-04-2003 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Actually he is what Montreal needs (to the extent that we can't expect to find power forwards available in the waiver draft).

Montreal needs players that give it their all on every shift, play with character, intensity, and are coachable. This is precisely what Begin offers. He adds sandpaper to a very weak lineup.

There was no legitimate fourth line center on this club. Kilger MIGHT have grown into one, but that's a maybe. I'm more comfortable with seeing a legitimate agitator and fourth liner added to the team instead of relying on the often-soft Kilger.

Hmmm... suppose he does turn into the 4'th line centre we need, will that mean Kilger will be on the trading block?

A point to ponder.

tinyzombies 10-05-2003 09:52 AM

Good point about Kilger being too soft for the energy line. He's more suited to the checking line. Of course, the whole point with Kilger is that they've never defined a role for him and left him there. He could turn out to be THE MAN in this job.

Begin does not take stupid penalties as previously reported here, he takes good ones and the guy is strong like an ox and mean too. A prototypical 4th line player. He could turn into the next Lappy. I like this pickup very much.

Langden is terrible offensively AND defensively, so his minutes will be very limited. I suspect he'll play 5 minutes against the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins get in a fight and then hit the shower. Dwyer will probably play in the other games where there is no danger of him being beaten up.

Ryder is wasted on the 4th line, this guy has a knack for popping clutch goals. They need to find him some scoring line minutes. Unfortunately, that might only happen next year unless he keeps impressing.

Fourth line guys so far are becoming more defined under Bo tho. Another sign of progress, though a small one.

CHareth 10-06-2003 01:19 AM

I saw Begin play with the Flames a few times when I lived in Calgary. He was still quite young at the time, and I wasn't terribly impressed. But I'm hoping that he has improved his game in the intervening years and can provide plenty of energy and grit that we so sorely need. :rolly:

Darz 10-06-2003 05:52 AM

Good pick up by the habs, imo. Begin can play all three offensive position, and will a good spark plug for the team.
As far as Ryder is concerned, I'm sure if the coaches and management feel he's ready for NHL action, a spot will be made for him.

Habs4ever 10-06-2003 06:46 AM

Kilger won't be on trading block any time soon!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
Hmmm... suppose he does turn into the 4'th line centre we need, will that mean Kilger will be on the trading block?

A point to ponder.

Kilger signed very cheap contract and can still contribute, trading him won't give us much in return either I would rather keep him,as he is young and has descent talent to play anywhere if required.