HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Is anyone else's skating 10x worse in hockey gear? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1658443)

AntsSheffield 04-28-2014 05:24 AM

Is anyone else's skating 10x worse in hockey gear?

Mine is. My balance seems worse, I can't find my edges, I can't stop as well.

Anyone else suffer the same?

I've just bought a half visor to see if being able to see better will make a difference.

I'm even contemplating going to public skate in shorts and shin guards.

And I reckon holding a stick plays havoc with my balance too.

I'm an older newcomer to all this. I reckon it's not having skated in all the gear from an early age makes the difference.

Beezeral 04-28-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntsSheffield (Post 84232207)
Mine is. My balance seems worse, I can't find my edges, I can't stop as well.

Anyone else suffer the same?

I've just bought a half visor to see if being able to see better will make a difference.

I'm even contemplating going to public skate in shorts and shin guards.

And I reckon holding a stick plays havoc with my balance too.

I'm an older newcomer to all this. I reckon it's not having skated in all the gear from an early age makes the difference.

it takes time and practice. there is no quick fix or piece of equipment you can buy to make you comfortable when skating.

MattGTI 04-28-2014 08:40 AM

For me-

Shin guards hampered my crossing over.

Shoulder pads hindered my shot

Cage was incredibly awkward at first

Like the previous post said, it just takes time and practice.

I wore my shin guards any and all times I skated, even if it wasn't hockey. Who cares what anyone thinks if you are wearing them at public skate, or with your kids.

Most guys at my pickup game(s) didn't wear their shoulder pads. I always wore mine to get used to shooting in them.

Cage was the most jarring thing for me. It felt really unnatural and hindering. Two or three skates with it, I forgot about it, and would never play without one. If you are hanging around the house, pop on your helmet for a bit. As I said, I absolutely despised my first time with a cage, and I got over it real fast. It's second nature now.

Good luck!

Terry Yake 04-28-2014 11:41 AM

the only piece of gear that ever affected my play was a cage, which i tried out for a month or so and just couldn't get used to it. so i went back to using a visor

shin guards, shoulders, elbow pads, etc should not affect your skating or your shot whatsoever. perhaps you're wearing the wrong size?

Sureshotte 04-28-2014 11:58 AM

The only time gear noticeably affected my skating was when I put my shins inside my tongues, which made it difficult for me to tie my skates tightly. Therefore, my skating suffered.

Cursed Lemon 04-28-2014 12:17 PM

Believe me, once you acclimate to it, the exact opposite will be true - you won't know how to skate without the counter-balance of a stick in your hands. It's like a tail for animals, but the other way. :laugh:

ChiTownHawks 04-28-2014 01:08 PM

It's weird at first but after a while you won't even notice it. Then you'll go to something like stick and puck and you'll skate without most of your gear and you'll feel like you are flying out there.

Pacifist Goon 04-28-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon (Post 84241561)
It's like a tail for animals, but the other way. :laugh:

Great analogy. I swing or point my stick whichever way I want to turn and follow the stick, like a pendulum. The stick aids in turning. I don't see how it causes problems unless you are trying to counter balance with your body weight and subconsciously fighting the turn.

I'm like Bodhi in Point Break. 'I can't handle a cage man'. Drives me crazy. Don't want to lose anything that can't be fixed or replaced so it's a visor all the way though.

Can definitely see the merit in skating in shins and pants though. Think there is a bit of a difference in crossover striding when wearing them. Skates can sit/lace a little differently too when wearing shins.

AntsSheffield 04-28-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattGTI (Post 84234341)
Shin guards hampered my crossing over.

Went to public skate this evening with shins on and I was flying around. So, it's not the shins, or at least not them on their own. Gonna try public skate in shins n shorts next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Yake (Post 84240075)
the only piece of gear that ever affected my play was a cage, which i tried out for a month or so and just couldn't get used to it. so i went back to using a visor

I think the helmet and current half cage/half visor could be a prime suspect. I've ordered a half visor so will see how that goes later in the week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon (Post 84244265)
Great analogy. I swing or point my stick whichever way I want to turn and follow the stick, like a pendulum. The stick aids in turning. I don't see how it causes problems unless you are trying to counter balance with your body weight and subconsciously fighting the turn.

Yeah, could be this. I reckon my skating with a stick needs some work.

Thanks for the input guys.

kento19 04-28-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon (Post 84241561)
Believe me, once you acclimate to it, the exact opposite will be true - you won't know how to skate without the counter-balance of a stick in your hands. It's like a tail for animals, but the other way. :laugh:

This. I've been playing hockey for over 15 years including junior b for the last 4 years. A few months ago I decided to go skating with my girlfriend and I felt so awkward on the ice without gear.

McDugan 04-28-2014 03:16 PM

You just need time out there with your gear. Personally after years without playing hockey but still public skating once or twice a year I thought it would feel weird, but I actually like having the gear on because it enables me to go as hard as I can without worrying about falls/injuries.

AntsSheffield 04-29-2014 11:02 AM

It's the stick. Just went to a public skate (no-one else on the ice) with my stick and it's definitely the stick. It affects everything; balance, edges, the lot. The difference is quite remarkable.

It's a bit depressing because I just don't have that many opportunities to skate with a stick. But at least I now know what's causing the problems.

Greasy Sliders 04-30-2014 01:23 AM

The only problem I have is not being able to eagle/Mohawk turn with gear on, can do it fine without gear

Rekin 04-30-2014 03:27 AM

Probably it's indeed just that you need to get used to it, but it does help to choose gear that actually fits and think about whether you need to protect yourself like Ulf Samuelsson or perhaps settle for less in a no-contact league.

tmway84 04-30-2014 11:36 AM

Personally when at public skate, I do feel much lighter and comfortable, but that is the obvious reply to this thread. With that being said, I do feel without pads or a stick to be a little more off balance. This is due to the fact that 90% of my ice time is when i'm playing hockey.

CanucksSayEh 04-30-2014 12:32 PM

I think im way better in gear. Confidence plays a big part of it, rely on instict rather than thinking too much about high speed moves. When ive got my armour on, im not worried about falling or hitting the boards, so I put more into it.

beth 05-03-2014 01:27 AM

Since you say it is the stick, I would guess that your stance is all wrong, and the stick is exacerbating that. Keep practicing, and focus on a good knee bend, remember to keep head and chest up, and your butt down. Even when you think you're bending your knees enough, bend them some more.

RandV 05-03-2014 03:36 AM

I grew up near a rink, but didn't start playing hockey till I was 27. Never had any problem making the transition to skating with hockey gear on, in fact I barely even noticed it.

AntsSheffield 05-03-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beth (Post 84540119)
Since you say it is the stick, I would guess that your stance is all wrong, and the stick is exacerbating that. Keep practicing, and focus on a good knee bend, remember to keep head and chest up, and your butt down. Even when you think you're bending your knees enough, bend them some more.

Yep. I'm having a personal knee bend campaign (again) lately.

I've also got to learn what I can and can't do with the stick in different positions, ie, one hand to sprint, two hands for puck battles and fancy stickhandling.

I'd have to add stick off the ice in two hands for fast curves cos there's no way I can cross over with one hand on the stick or two with the stick on the ice

mikitas donut 05-03-2014 11:58 AM

It definitely takes some getting used to. I got some new pants the other day and it threw my entire game off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beth (Post 84540119)

Yes, definitely bend your knees more. I thought I was bending mine a lot till I watched a video of myself.

JohnnyBerts 05-03-2014 03:31 PM

Practice with the equipment you will be playing in.. always wear shoulder pads and a full cage for example. Don't skimp out because it's easier when you're at a public skate.

Also, you spoke of balance. Wearing full equipment does change your natural balance. Something kids do that adults don't for example, is they are so excited to have joined an ice hockey league that they go home and wear all their equipment and run around the house. For an adult, this sounds silly but this is one example of why kids learning is so much faster. If you really do want to make skating easier in hockey gear, wear your stuff around the house a few times and every time you skate, wear full gear. Cheers!

Primrose Everdeen 05-03-2014 06:25 PM

I was the exact opposite actually. It's not surprising that you're having trouble though, since skating without gear (or light gear) and with no stick is somewhat different than skating in full gear with a stick.

I remember once in high school I rollerbladed to school one morning and because of struggling with balance issues I brought my street hockey stick with me.

Wilch 05-05-2014 05:13 AM

Gear slows my acceleration down by a bit and maybe widens the turning circle; not by much. Does not affect top speed.

r3cc0s 05-05-2014 01:56 PM

if you play hockey "full-out" for 45 second shifts... your equipment is likely to give you more confidance

however yes, if you are playing shinny with gear vs. ODR w/o gear, you'll find yourself less fatigued, better range of motion and quicker.

I wouldn't say its the gear that restricts movement, but its 40lbs vs none

but on a 45 sec shift, I don't think the 40lbs would make enough of a difference if you are playing full out.

intangible 05-06-2014 11:47 AM

I have the same problem: at a stick and puck I can fly, have hands, and suddenly I have a slapper. Put the gear on and I slow down immensely, my hands feel like bricks, and my slapper is downright embarrassing. Not even joking.

I've tried reducing my pads as much as possible.. padded shirt instead of shoulders, took padding out of my pants.. nothing really seems to work. Maybe need to try smaller elbow guards and shin guards, but I tend to block a ton of shots, so I don't want to decrease too much protection.

It's really frustrating.