HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Florida shopping first overall pick... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1661955)

rumschlag182 05-02-2014 06:47 AM

Florida shopping first overall pick...
 
@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Who's going to make the trade? What does everyone think it would take to get the first overall pick?

13pacheco31 05-02-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumschlag182 (Post 84491455)
@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Who's going to make the trade? What does everyone think it would take to get the first overall pick?

A rumour like this comes out around this time every year with whoever has the first overall, I highly doubt he was serious

Boom Boom Anton 05-02-2014 06:53 AM

IMO, if he is shopping it, he is likely only willing to move down a handful of slots...maybe to 3-4 at most. If that's the case, I would say what he'll get is probably a couple of 2nd round picks OR a pick and player. That's historically what has been given in those cases.

If he is truly shopping it for teams even lower than that (which I would doubt), then said teams are going to have to offer a LOT more than that.

supert 05-02-2014 06:54 AM

Edmonton . Yakupov + . Yakupov will probably end up better then anyone in this draft as a goal score , but a deal like this lets Edmonton become more balance and gives Florida a winger for one of their big centres . I know Oiler fans will not like the fact i had a plus , but the fact is there is a risk factor . I am also an Oiler fan so it would depend on us agreeing on the +

UlfSamuelsson 05-02-2014 06:56 AM

If true, and if serious, I'd imagine they'd want some talent to inject in the line up and perhaps a 2015 first? I can see a Tallon increasing next years lottery odds. Not that Florida is, but Mr. McDavid will convince some fringe teams to rebuild/retool sooner rather than later.

RoseTintedVisor 05-02-2014 06:57 AM

Isles probably have the chips to trade up. Curious what it would take.

Hasbro 05-02-2014 06:59 AM

I wish GMs with the #1 pick would learn to say "We're going to do our due diligence, but I doubt we'll trade it."

rumschlag182 05-02-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 84491559)
Edmonton . Yakupov + . Yakupov will probably end up better then anyone in this draft as a goal score , but a deal like this lets Edmonton become more balance and gives Florida a winger for one of their big centres . I know Oiler fans will not like the fact i had a plus , but the fact is there is a risk factor . I am also an Oiler fan so it would depend on us agreeing on the +

Here is another quote I read.

Were moving forward. Im going to fix it. We have great support now from [new owner] Vinnie Viola, and were going to add the pieces to help these kids get where they need to be.

Seems to me they are looking for established players who can be role models to all the young talent they have.

internetdotcom 05-02-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 84491559)
Edmonton . Yakupov + . Yakupov will probably end up better then anyone in this draft as a goal score , but a deal like this lets Edmonton become more balance and gives Florida a winger for one of their big centres . I know Oiler fans will not like the fact i had a plus , but the fact is there is a risk factor . I am also an Oiler fan so it would depend on us agreeing on the +

For the 2372345235th time Oiler fans, you are not getting a redo on that first overall pick of Yakupov. Either you have to hope he decides to actually try to play defense, or sell him low.

Dr Robot 05-02-2014 07:03 AM

I doubt Florida will drop out of the top 5 without a ransom note being involved somehow but I think their options are limited with the give and take of the other 4 teams. Would Calgary give up 1st+bart or Van doing Horvat+1st for the top slot?

Edit: Or just to get weird. Anaheim-Hampus Lindholm+10th(sens) for the 1st overall.

jumptheshark 05-02-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumschlag182 (Post 84491455)
@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Who's going to make the trade? What does everyone think it would take to get the first overall pick?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13pacheco31 (Post 84491511)
A rumour like this comes out around this time every year with whoever has the first overall, I highly doubt he was serious

Oilers shopped their pick every year and never got an offer that rocked their boat.

Any GM that does not shop the pick to see if he can hit a home run should not be a GM--Even leading up to the Crosby draft--the pens talked a few teams to see of team were willing to give up a alot to get the kid

Boom Boom Anton 05-02-2014 07:06 AM

Just for reference, the last time anyone traded the #1 pick was 2003, when Florida went from #1-#3 in a deep draft because they didn't want a Goalie and PITT did. That trade was the first pick and 73rd pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the third pick, the 55th pick, and Mikael Samuelsson.

The year before, Florida made a similar swap going from #1-#3. That trade was was the #1 to CLB for the #3 and the option to swap 2003 1st round picks (not exercised).

Steve 05-02-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 84491559)
Edmonton . Yakupov + . Yakupov will probably end up better then anyone in this draft as a goal score , but a deal like this lets Edmonton become more balance and gives Florida a winger for one of their big centres . I know Oiler fans will not like the fact i had a plus , but the fact is there is a risk factor . I am also an Oiler fan so it would depend on us agreeing on the +

I like Yakupov but I would not trade Ekblad for Yakupov.. Bennet or Reinhart maybe but IMO, it takes quite a bit more than that. Yakupov has a ton of talent but he's certainly not lived up to it as of yet.

Dunkster19 05-02-2014 07:26 AM

Buffalo offers Myers

pigpen65 05-02-2014 07:27 AM

Never happens

King'sPawn 05-02-2014 07:31 AM

Dale Tallon is a GM doing what GMs are supposed to do (see the value of their pick).

Other GMs are going to do what GMs are supposed to do (see what Tallon wants for the pick).

In the end, either Tallon won't think he's offered enough or other GMs will think he's asking too much. Tallon will pick first overall, and all the rumors of "what could have been" trades as well as fantasy line-ups of "if my team gets first overall, my lineup will look like this for the next ten years" will live on in HF lore.

In other words, I'm not expecting much.

416Leafer 05-02-2014 07:33 AM

Id be surprised to see him trade it straight up.

IF it were traded, most likely it would be for another pick in the top 10 + a piece that can help now (and longterm, therefore under contract for foreseeable future). That way Tallon would be improving now (while Luongo/Campbell are still good) but still adding to the longterm talent/depth.

5 4 Fighting 05-02-2014 07:35 AM

Derek Stepan and John Moore

Whileee 05-02-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Robot (Post 84491721)
I doubt Florida will drop out of the top 5 without a ransom note being involved somehow but I think their options are limited with the give and take of the other 4 teams. Would Calgary give up 1st+bart or Van doing Horvat+1st for the top slot?

Edit: Or just to get weird. Anaheim-Hampus Lindholm+10th(sens) for the 1st overall.

The 1st overall is valuable, but not that valuable in this year's draft. Anaheim would be loopy to give up both Lindholm and the 10th overall for #1. Lindolm himself could very well end up being better than Ekblad. Also, this year I think there's a very good chance that another player outside the top 5 becomes the best player out of this draft.

Florida is smart to look for a big pay-off for the #1 pick this year, but other teams should be wary.

Chippah 05-02-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunkster19 (Post 84492091)
Buffalo offers Myers

No, they don't.

hizzoner 05-02-2014 07:40 AM

I agree that Tallon has to see what he can get. I do not see anyone giving him anything he will accept though unless it is an established nhl player that the Panthers know will help but still have contract rights for a few years plus a number one in top 7 or 8 this year or surefire lottery pick next year. For example-Gardiner plus the number 8 this year from Toronto or Erhoff and Buffalo's number 2 pick next year in first round assuming Isles defer. I am not saying that Toronto or Buffalo would make those offers--just that I assume that is what Tallon would be looking for.

416Leafer 05-02-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whileee (Post 84492257)
The 1st overall is valuable, but not that valuable in this year's draft. Anaheim would be loopy to give up both Lindholm and the 10th overall for #1. Lindolm himself could very well end up being better than Ekblad. Also, this year I think there's a very good chance that another player outside the top 5 becomes the best player out of this draft.

Florida is smart to look for a big pay-off for the #1 pick this year, but other teams should be wary.

Maybe. Ehlers and Nylander are probably the most skilled guys in the draft, and if they were 2 inches taller would probably both be going top 4. None of the top 3 look like sure-fire franchise talents, and then a guy like Ehlers for example put up 104 pts (49G) in 63 games regular season, and another 28 pts (11G) in 16 playoff games, all that in his first CHL season.

The top picks are "safer" picks, but i wouldnt be surprised to see one of the guys drafted in the 5-10 range pass them within a few years. There's no obvious MacKinnon, Doughty, Stamkos, etc in this draft at the top.

Whileee 05-02-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunkster19 (Post 84492091)
Buffalo offers Myers

Florida should get ready for a bunch of offers like this.

Ekblad isn't that special as a prospect, and many can't figure out whether they like Bennett, Draisaitl or Reinhart better among the centers.

Moving down makes perfect sense, if you can get a return. I'm not sure how excited teams will be to move up. Teams that are outside the top 5 are probably seeing that moving up to the #3 or #4 slot is just as good and might be lower in price.

Whileee 05-02-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416Leafer (Post 84492371)
Maybe. Ehlers and Nylander are probably the most skilled guys in the draft, and if they were 2 inches taller would probably both be going top 4. None of the top 3 look like sure-fire franchise talents, and then a guy like Ehlers for example put up 104 pts (49G) in 63 games regular season, and another 28 pts (11G) in 16 playoff games, all that in his first CHL season.

The top picks are "safer" picks, but i wouldnt be surprised to see one of the guys drafted in the 5-10 range pass them within a few years. There's no obvious MacKinnon, Doughty, Stamkos, etc in this draft at the top.

We agree.

Intense Rage 05-02-2014 07:43 AM

How about...

Nashville
1st overall pick

Florida
Seth Jones

The Preds draft Reinhart/Bennett and get their future #1 center. I would jump at that if I were Tallon but I doubt the Preds have any interest in letting Jones go.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.