HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Erat signed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=166689)

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 06:14 PM

Erat signed

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/50826002

This probably deserved its own thread ;)

triggrman 08-26-2005 06:38 PM

Great news. I was really worried about losing him or Hall or both. Now let's get Adam signed.

Let me just add. If this was Legwand, people would be like "let his spoiled arse play in Russia, he's lazy and likes wierd things in bed"

dulzhok 08-26-2005 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
Great news. I was really worried about losing him or Hall or both. Now let's get Adam signed.

Let me just add. If this was Legwand, people would be like "let his spoiled arse play in Russia, he's lazy and likes wierd things in bed"

Erat was getting low-balled with a 660K Q.O. Poile wasn't offering a penny more. Erat should have held out for more, and did.

Honestly, Erat could've have insisted on a higher salary considering the comps on Legwand, Hartnell, Arkhipov, etc. He outproduced them all last year.

Props to Erat for signing a less-than-fair deal.

triggrman 08-26-2005 07:15 PM

The flip of that arguement would be that Legwand and Hartnell bring more to the table than Erat.

Legwand being a two-way center and Hartnell being a physical presence as well as goal scorer.

Arkhipov was overpaid

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Erat was getting low-balled with a 660K Q.O. Poile wasn't offering a penny more. Erat should have held out for more, and did.

Honestly, Erat could've have insisted on a higher salary considering the comps on Legwand, Hartnell, Arkhipov, etc. He outproduced them all last year.

Props to Erat for signing a less-than-fair deal.

Erat had more points. Legwand had more goals and was better in pretty much every other way. And you're not going to even get a shred of thought to "Erat was better than Hartnell," as Hartnell was easily our best forward not named Sullivan or Walker.

Pred303 08-26-2005 08:37 PM

good....ah...things are coming together

darth5 08-26-2005 09:28 PM

I am partial to Erat and do consider his QO a little low. This is probably a fair deal. Now Marty can step it up for a bigger payday next year. And I would be surprised if he did not.

dulzhok 08-26-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnrocketman
I am partial to Erat and do consider his QO a little low. This is probably a fair deal. Now Marty can step it up for a bigger payday next year. And I would be surprised if he did not.

I would be surprised if it's a huge increase... mainly because he won't get the chance. He will likely get secondary ice-time and left over powerplay time, just like he did last year. He will be left with the 2nd and 3rd tier linemates, just like he has been his whole career with the Predators.

Yet, at the end of day, Marty will still likely outscore all our other "young guns," just like he did last year. And he'll probably take a lower contract without complaining, just like did today.

All hail, Martin "I do more with less" Erat.

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

I would be surprised if it's a huge increase... mainly because he won't get the chance. He will likely get secondary ice-time and left over powerplay time, just like he did last year. He will be left with the 2nd and 3rd tier linemates, just like he has been his whole career with the Predators.

Yet, at the end of day, Marty will still likely outscore all our other "young guns," just like he did last year. And he'll probably take a lower contract without complaining, just like did today.

All hail, Martin "I do more with less" Erat.

second and third tier linemates? he was on the second line, last year...and most of his linemates were generally andreas johansson, vlad orszagh and david legwand.

And while his staggering 16 goals might mean "more with less" to you(though Hartnell's 18 goals with less ice time and Greg Johnson and Adam Hall as linemates does a bit more for me...and oh...did I mention in 20+ less games?) it leaves me wanting more. Kind of how you feel about Legwand, I guess. And since you're crying about his PP time...who knows? I mean, I know we just signed a multiple-allstar left wing, but this organization is truly out to lunch, depriving Erat of that power play time. Poor guy.

Sheesh, we see how it pays to be on dulzhok's good side.

dulzhok 08-26-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
second and third tier linemates? he was on the second line, last year...and most of his linemates were generally andreas johansson, vlad orszagh and david legwand.

And while his staggering 16 goals might mean "more with less" to you(though Hartnell's 18 goals with less ice time and Greg Johnson and Adam Hall as linemates does a bit more for me...and oh...did I mention in 20+ less games?) it leaves me wanting more. Kind of how you feel about Legwand, I guess. And since you're crying about his PP time...who knows? I mean, I know we just signed a multiple-allstar left wing, but this organization is truly out to lunch, depriving Erat of that power play time. Poor guy.

Sheesh, we see how it pays to be on dulzhok's good side.

I don't think Erat stepped foot on the ice with Walker or Sullivan last year. And you left out that Arkhipov was a fairly regular linemate. That is what I mean when I say that he's getting 2nd and 3rd tier linemates. And no, a guy like Orszagh would not be considered a 1st tier foward in the NHL.

Funny, that you bring up Hartnell playing in 20+ less games... Even with that, Erat had less total PP time than Hartnell. Case in point-- he's getting secondary icetime.

So do you measure everything in goals? Erat's strong-point is his playmaking. He simply creates offense from nothing. He carries a line. He sustains the offensive pressure in the offensive zone better than anyone on the Predators. I don't need stats to back me up, it's just my opinion. But thankfully the stats do back me up... Erat's point-per-mintue of ice time is was the best on the Predators.

All hail, Marty "I do more with less" Erat.

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 10:25 PM

Look, I love Erat as much as the next guy...but he's FAST becoming pretty overrated by Predators fans. When I hear "reminds me of a young Peter Forsberg," there's a problem. 660 was too low, yes...but 875 was too high. I'd be more inclined to give that to Hall than I would be Erat. Erat, IMO, should be around 750-800.

dulzhok 08-26-2005 10:35 PM

I'm not here to argue if Erat should have gotten 800K or 875K. I'm here to say that I don't look down on Erat for asking for more than 660K, when if fact he could've made a pretty good case to get over a million. There is absolutely no reason to bash Erat at this point, as triggrman eluded to earlier in the thread. In fact, I appladue Erat for getting the offer done and settling for less, as opposed to 1) holding out into training camp, or 2) playing in Russia for $1 million untaxable dollars.

I don't think any one of us thinks that Erat will ever be the next peter forseberg. He does have *some* traits that resemble him, mainly his unbelievable puck control and strength on the puck.

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 10:49 PM

But the error in your logic is that Erat deserves the same amount that Hartnell\Legwand\Arkhipov do. Arkhipov's contract remains one of the most dreadful mistakes that Poile has made in his tenure as the Preds' manager..so throw that out the window. Legwand was the team's best player in 02\03...and has steadily improved in most aspects of his game from the start. Hartnell is a similar case(and wasn't his QO that he accepted only 1 million?). Erat, on the other hand...has one decent season as part of the overachieving "vowel line," one disappointing season that saw him sent down to the minors, and one good season(last year). To me, that makes him a bit more unproven than Hartnell and Legwand. Hence the one year deal. One year deals for guys that are well away from being UFA, especially low ones...are "prove it to me" contracts. What's wrong with that? Erat didn't have the leverage to demand much more than he got...because he hasn't really earned it and it's not right to pay him on potential. If Erat turned around and said, "Hey, you gave Legwand this...give me a little less and I'll be happy," then I'd be more than fine with seeing him sit the year out and play in Russia...hopefully come to his senses..and try again. Poile is doing his job by being fiscally responsible...and I applaud him for it. Erat is now a LITTLE overpaid, but I'm sure I'll feel differently if he builds on last year and earns it.

dulzhok 08-26-2005 11:10 PM

Quote:

But the error in your logic is that Erat deserves the same amount that Hartnell\Legwand\Arkhipov do. Arkhipov's contract remains one of the most dreadful mistakes that Poile has made in his tenure as the Preds' manager..so throw that out the window. Legwand was the team's best player in 02\03...and has steadily improved in most aspects of his game from the start. Hartnell is a similar case(and wasn't his QO that he accepted only 1 million?). Erat, on the other hand...has one decent season as part of the overachieving "vowel line," one disappointing season that saw him sent down to the minors, and one good season(last year). To me, that makes him a bit more unproven than Hartnell and Legwand. Hence the one year deal. One year deals for guys that are well away from being UFA, especially low ones...are "prove it to me" contracts. What's wrong with that? Erat didn't have the leverage to demand much more than he got...because he hasn't really earned it and it's not right to pay him on potential. If Erat turned around and said, "Hey, you gave Legwand this...give me a little less and I'll be happy," then I'd be more than fine with seeing him sit the year out and play in Russia...hopefully come to his senses..and try again. Poile is doing his job by being fiscally responsible...and I applaud him for it. Erat is now a LITTLE overpaid, but I'm sure I'll feel differently if he builds on last year and earns it.

These arguments are all based your opinions (aka. "Legwand was our best player in 2003 and has only improved since then").

Erat had tangible proof to request an equal contract to them. He had the best points-per-minute average on the Predators (include Sullivan and Walker). He produced more points than Legwand, Hartnell, and Arkhipov with less icetime.

Read into what you want from those stats, but the fact is, he could have made a decent case for more money.

I'm not saying he should have gotten paid that amont of money. I am saying that I'm grateful that he backed down and got the deal done before training camp.

Most importantly, Erat could have made more money in Russia. I appluade him for staying with the Preds for less money.

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 11:12 PM

where are you drawing conclusions on how much he would have made in Russia from?

dulzhok 08-26-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

where are you drawing conclusions on how much he would have made in Russia from?

snufulufagus told me

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

snufulufagus told me

that's what i thought ;)

If Erat could make more money in Russia...believe it or not...that's where he'd be. While he does have a lot of little old ladies to help across the street and tons of babies to rescue from burning buildings here in Nashville...let's not get crazy here. The bottom line is the bottom line, sadly.

dulzhok 08-26-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

that's what i thought ;)

If Erat could make more money in Russia...believe it or not...that's where he'd be.

You're making wrong assumptions. 875K is less than 500K after taxes. Trust me, Erat got well more than 500K offers (tax-free) from European teams.

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

You're making wrong assumptions.

Prove me wrong. Prove to me that Erat's character is higher than Korlyuk's, Datsyuk's, Kovalchuk's..etc etc.

Not many people make 1 million in Russia, and there IS a tax. A Russian poster said it was about 13 percent.

barrytrotzsneck 08-26-2005 11:29 PM

Quote:

You're making wrong assumptions. 875K is less than 500K after taxes. Trust me, Erat got well more than 500K offers (tax-free) from European teams.

Suddenly, it all makes sense.

dulzhok is Erat's agent!

"Come ooon, baby! You're a STAR! This is YOUR team, not Legwand's!"

I mean, how else would he know what kind of offers Erat got from teams in Europe?

Gnashville 08-27-2005 12:57 AM

Quote:

Suddenly, it all makes sense.

dulzhok is Erat's agent!

"Come ooon, baby! You're a STAR! This is YOUR team, not Legwand's!"

I mean, how else would he know what kind of offers Erat got from teams in Europe?

Can't WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

God I hope this bickering doesn't take place in the lockerroom

Erat being back in the fold is a good thing :yo:

triggrman 08-27-2005 07:04 AM

I don't think Erat is overpaid, I think on any other team Erat gets 3M or more. He takes a pay cut to play here....

Seriously. He's still way below average. If he comes out an works like he did last season, he's a bargain at .875

handtrick 08-27-2005 09:46 AM

Updated story with quotes.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...67/1328/SPORTS

jstreet 08-27-2005 01:01 PM

Woohoo! Only one more signing to go! :handclap: