HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skate not as tight around one ankle (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1667191)

JohnTonelliRises 05-09-2014 09:58 PM

Skate not as tight around one ankle

Hello all,

For those who have followed my previous posts.. Well I bought new skates and while one fits perfectly, the other is on the looser side of things. I used the Stable 26 socks in my skates and while this helps, it is definitely looser around the ankle still.

As a result of a surgery, one of my ankles is a little thinner than the other one, and there is roughly half a size difference in shoe size as well for that foot.

It never bothered me while skating in HS, but that was years ago when I started to learn how to play ice hockey. After several years off, I recently started skating several months ago again and I immediately noticed the skate fit was off a bit..

Now here's my dilemma.... Are alternatives that do not require purchasing a smaller sized skate for my foot? Should I buy the additional Stable 26 padding that comes in different sizes? Are there shops that specialize in altering the boot? Are there any other products that address this issue?

Or am I better off buying a separate skate even though it is expensive?

Boulder Avalanche 05-09-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 (Post 84881227)
Hello all,

For those who have followed my previous posts.. Well I bought new skates and while one fits perfectly, the other is on the looser side of things. I used the Stable 26 socks in my skates and while this helps, it is definitely looser around the ankle still.

As a result of a surgery, one of my ankles is a little thinner than the other one, and there is roughly half a size difference in shoe size as well for that foot.

It never bothered me while skating in HS, but that was years ago when I started to learn how to play ice hockey. After several years off, I recently started skating several months ago again and I immediately noticed the skate fit was off a bit..

Now here's my dilemma.... Are alternatives that do not require purchasing a smaller sized skate for my foot? Should I buy the additional Stable 26 padding that comes in different sizes? Are there shops that specialize in altering the boot? Are there any other products that address this issue?

Or am I better off buying a separate skate even though it is expensive?

Bake the skate that is loose.

JohnTonelliRises 05-09-2014 10:31 PM

I already baked it once, I should bake it again?

g04tm4n 05-09-2014 10:37 PM

I have the same issue with my skates. The one is slightly tight, while the other slightly loose. Have you tried alternative lacing methods for the looser skate to get a better wrap?

Boulder Avalanche 05-10-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 (Post 84882877)
I already baked it once, I should bake it again?

I would. I had to bake a pair of goalie skates twice back in the day because some yahoo at the hockey shop did not bake them at the right temperate.

AIREAYE 05-10-2014 07:09 AM

Definitely try different lacing methods, specifically where you lace outside-in for the top few eyelets

JohnTonelliRises 05-10-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 84889277)
Definitely try different lacing methods, specifically where you lace outside-in for the top few eyelets

Is there a diagram for this anywhere/explanation?

Thanks so much for the help guys!

g04tm4n 05-11-2014 12:05 AM

Have a look at this thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232843

vb66 05-13-2014 07:46 PM

You could try doctoring a sock so that it just goes over your ankle. On the smaller ankle side, wear a normal sock and the doctored sock "sleeve" to make a tighter fit on that side.