HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Marty St. Louis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1670689)

Killem Dafoe 05-14-2014 07:05 PM

Marty St. Louis
 
Continue.

Brian Boyle 05-14-2014 07:07 PM

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that he won't play game one.

mint 05-14-2014 07:08 PM

I think we can safely say the Rangers are golfing from the first round if they didn't trade for MSL.

This was a great pickup. The Rangers won this trade for now because the Bolts gave up on their season with Callahan being useless as usual in the playoffs, while the Rangers are getting a big contribution from MSL and are once again in the ECF.

What impresses me a lot is he work on the penalty kill!

haohmaru 05-14-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mint (Post 85134409)
I think we can safely say the Rangers are golfing from the first round if they didn't trade for MSL.

This was a great pickup. The Rangers won this trade for now because the Bolts gave up on their season with Callahan being useless as usual in the playoffs, while the Rangers are getting a big contribution from MSL and are once again in the ECF.

What impresses me a lot is he work on the penalty kill!

Yup. MSL is a huge upgrade over Callahan, who I have the utmost respect for. Unfortunately, he overplayed his hand and you can't blame Sather for not just letting him go for nothing. We're not sniffing the ECF's without MSL and how the team rallied around him and don't think for a moment that his friendship/loyalty with Richards isn't a factor on this team.

tidus37 05-15-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mint (Post 85134409)
I think we can safely say the Rangers are golfing from the first round if they didn't trade for MSL.

This was a great pickup. The Rangers won this trade for now because the Bolts gave up on their season with Callahan being useless as usual in the playoffs, while the Rangers are getting a big contribution from MSL and are once again in the ECF.

What impresses me a lot is he work on the penalty kill!

How can you even say that the Bolts gave up on the season with that trade? Regardless we made it to the playoffs even if we had an early exit.

I mean, this is a serious question and I don't even think you took into consideration that Ben Bishop was hurt, other players were hurt as well, as well as inexperience killed the Bolts. I love Marty, he was our captain and he was our rock when things went bad. Especially when Stamkos was injured. But now I think whether we had Marty or not we would have had an early departure because we were not healthy. We ran out of gas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't trash Callahan because our exit from the playoffs wasn't his fault. Also keep in mind that Marty demanded a trade to only the Rangers, and Steve Yzerman did what he had to do to accommodate Marty's wishes.

I'm just trying to point out stuff here.

The Lunatic Fridge 05-15-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mint (Post 85134409)
I think we can safely say the Rangers are golfing from the first round if they didn't trade for MSL.

This was a great pickup. The Rangers won this trade for now because the Bolts gave up on their season with Callahan being useless as usual in the playoffs, while the Rangers are getting a big contribution from MSL and are once again in the ECF.

What impresses me a lot is he work on the penalty kill!

This isn't a callahan thread but lets be serious. Callahan didn't play good but holy hell in no way shape or form was it HIS fault they got smoked. The goaltending was trash, the defense was abysmal and it felt like the only one who showed up on offense was stamkos and palat.


Now back to MSL. Why wouldn't he play game 1? Is the funeral in the next few days? I wouldn't blame the guy, honestly.

Boomer26 05-15-2014 05:45 AM

Funeral moved from Saturday to sunday

Jersey Girl 05-15-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidus37 (Post 85173009)
How can you even say that the Bolts gave up on the season with that trade? Regardless we made it to the playoffs even if we had an early exit.

I mean, this is a serious question and I don't even think you took into consideration that Ben Bishop was hurt, other players were hurt as well, as well as inexperience killed the Bolts. I love Marty, he was our captain and he was our rock when things went bad. Especially when Stamkos was injured. But now I think whether we had Marty or not we would have had an early departure because we were not healthy. We ran out of gas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't trash Callahan because our exit from the playoffs wasn't his fault. Also keep in mind that Marty demanded a trade to only the Rangers, and Steve Yzerman did what he had to do to accommodate Marty's wishes.

I'm just trying to point out stuff here.

If I were a Tampa fan I wouldn't put much stock in a Ranger fan's opinion of the situation in Tampa - especially when it's probably a minority opinion anyway. Most fans (even most Ranger fans) realize the Bishop injury was by far the biggest factor for Tampa, not the fact that Callahan basically replaced St Louis. Some people will manipulate the Callahan narrative to fit their opinions on St Louis.

Yzerman made a ridiculously good trade considering St Louis backed him into a corner, and Tampa will be the better for it for years to come.

Fletch 05-15-2014 08:37 AM

Great points, Tidus, and there isn't any reason to trash Callahan. He was part of some hard-working teams that did a bit of damage over the season here in NY. I don't think it's clear that the Rangers do not advance without him, however. The play of Lundqvist was a variable. He gave the Rangers a chance to win, and they won. He played a great series (followed by an awesome series) and I have a hard time believing the Rangers don't still get past Philly if Lundqvist and the defense played like they did. Pucks fund their way into the net when you work hard and your goalie is standing on his head. The MSL story feels great now. The team rallied around him and that's great and hopefully the momentum carries. He's a great player and he's playing very well right now. But again, it's tough to speculate where this team would be if Callahan was still here. He was on a team that made it this far before (and I think won a couple game in the ECF), so it's not like he's never been a productive player (and by productive, I am not just looking at his scoresheet).

Giglio NYR15 05-15-2014 12:18 PM

Steve Zipay‏@stevezipay·3 mins
St. Louis family moved funeral in Montreal from Sat to Sun. Team will attend. I guess dagoon was right

TeamStewie 05-15-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 (Post 85188669)
Steve Zipay‏@stevezipay·3 mins
St. Louis family moved funeral in Montreal from Sat to Sun. Team will attend. I guess dagoon was right

Yep. Gross just tweeted that the NHL wouldn't budge on the date.

haveandare 05-15-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidus37 (Post 85173009)
How can you even say that the Bolts gave up on the season with that trade? Regardless we made it to the playoffs even if we had an early exit.

I mean, this is a serious question and I don't even think you took into consideration that Ben Bishop was hurt, other players were hurt as well, as well as inexperience killed the Bolts. I love Marty, he was our captain and he was our rock when things went bad. Especially when Stamkos was injured. But now I think whether we had Marty or not we would have had an early departure because we were not healthy. We ran out of gas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't trash Callahan because our exit from the playoffs wasn't his fault. Also keep in mind that Marty demanded a trade to only the Rangers, and Steve Yzerman did what he had to do to accommodate Marty's wishes.

I'm just trying to point out stuff here.

I don't want to say the Bolts troubles were Callahan's fault, as losing a starting goalie is a HUGE hit to take in the postseason, but 0 points as your team gets swept is bad for a top 6 winger.

I'm not sure that they'd have gone further with Marty. Who can say what would happen in some alternate universe? But Callahan's production must have contributed to their problems. I mean, 20+ minutes ATOI, 0 points and -2. That's problematic. Ranger fans are absolutely demolishing Nash for having 5 points as his team makes the ECF.

I think the Bolts made out like bandits in the trade all things considered though.

haveandare 05-15-2014 12:29 PM

I'm happy to hear that the team will be able to attend the funeral. I think that will be good for Marty, for his family, and for the team as a whole based on what tiny bit any of us know.

All context aside, anything that builds camaraderie amongst a team in this position at this time of year is a good thing. The fact that they can do it while supporting a teammate in a hard time is all the better.

GordonGecko 05-15-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haveandare (Post 85189185)
I'm happy to hear that the team will be able to attend the funeral. I think that will be good for Marty, for his family, and for the team as a whole based on what tiny bit any of us know.

All context aside, anything that builds camaraderie amongst a team in this position at this time of year is a good thing. The fact that they can do it while supporting a teammate in a hard time is all the better.

I really really hope this doesn't turn into a stupid media circus. Think of how the media is here with the Yankees, it's the same thing in Montreal with the Canadiens

haveandare 05-15-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGecko (Post 85199407)
I really really hope this doesn't turn into a stupid media circus. Think of how the media is here with the Yankees, it's the same thing in Montreal with the Canadiens

Ugh. I didn't even consider that. I join you in really, really hoping that doesn't happen.

Jersey Girl 05-15-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGecko (Post 85199407)
I really really hope this doesn't turn into a stupid media circus. Think of how the media is here with the Yankees, it's the same thing in Montreal with the Canadiens

Well, anything is possible but this can't be the first time a situation like this has ever existed, and I don't remember that kind of circus ever happening before...

Brian Boyle 05-15-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidus37 (Post 85173009)
How can you even say that the Bolts gave up on the season with that trade? Regardless we made it to the playoffs even if we had an early exit.

I mean, this is a serious question and I don't even think you took into consideration that Ben Bishop was hurt, other players were hurt as well, as well as inexperience killed the Bolts. I love Marty, he was our captain and he was our rock when things went bad. Especially when Stamkos was injured. But now I think whether we had Marty or not we would have had an early departure because we were not healthy. We ran out of gas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't trash Callahan because our exit from the playoffs wasn't his fault. Also keep in mind that Marty demanded a trade to only the Rangers, and Steve Yzerman did what he had to do to accommodate Marty's wishes.

I'm just trying to point out stuff here.

Callahan sucks in the playoffs. It was still a good trade, though. Getting two firsts for a 38 year old (even one as good as he is) is a solid move. I expect the Rangers pick to be low next year as well. So, in the end, it'll turn it out to be a fair move all around, imo.

Calad 05-15-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianBoyle (Post 85200071)
Callahan sucks in the playoffs. It was still a good trade, though. Getting two firsts for a 38 year old (even one as good as he is) is a solid move. I expect the Rangers pick to be low next year as well. So, in the end, it'll turn it out to be a fair move all around, imo.

I agree. I think the fact that the 1st this year is going to be bottom 5, coupled with how well we would expect the team to do next year with the addition of MSL and AV having a year under his belt means the picks aren't AS valuable as you would normally expect a 1st rounder. Granted I still think Sather paid a bit much but he had to of been operating under this logic to reach the conclusion he did

Swept In Seven 05-15-2014 05:03 PM

Like Marty, still miss Cally but he priced himself out, team is still in the hunt so I am happy. They have a legit chance at a cup run, the move was good in a "all in" situation and it has paid in a deep playoff run thus far

Dagoon44 05-15-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 (Post 85188669)
Steve Zipay‏@stevezipay·3 mins
St. Louis family moved funeral in Montreal from Sat to Sun. Team will attend. I guess dagoon was right

Thank you for posting.. My sources are inside msg I wouldn't post something without proof.

The Lunatic Fridge 05-16-2014 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGecko (Post 85199407)
I really really hope this doesn't turn into a stupid media circus. Think of how the media is here with the Yankees, it's the same thing in Montreal with the Canadiens

The media is a circus all over canada. So i'd say don't get your hopes up.

Glen Sathers Cigar 05-16-2014 02:35 AM

I sure hope media doesn't show up to the funeral to try and milk more out of the story.

Dagoon44 05-16-2014 05:25 AM

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...rk&src=desktop

Funny how people here will now accept this story.. nhl. Screwed the Rangers and I had it 2 days ago. Good read enjoy

Ail 05-16-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 85220693)
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...rk&src=desktop

Funny how people here will now accept this story.. nhl. Screwed the Rangers and I had it 2 days ago. Good read enjoy

Good for you. Will Nash be back in December though?

Fletch 05-16-2014 07:20 AM

Dagoon...
 
hey little man! Little respect in here - you should now that by now, 'ol timer! Keep the news coming, man! Always good to hear anything we aren't hearing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.