HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   lessard (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16771)

neelynugs 10-04-2003 02:25 AM

lessard

what's this guy's deal? will he be playing regularly, not at all, infrequently? i like him for bigtime PIMs this year, but i'm skeptical that he is good enough to play a regular shift. thanks for the help!

VAThrasher 10-04-2003 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
what's this guy's deal? will he be playing regularly, not at all, infrequently? i like him for bigtime PIMs this year, but i'm skeptical that he is good enough to play a regular shift. thanks for the help!

He's the Thrasher's only 'enforcer'. That said, IMO, he's a stiff. He serves no purpose other than to fight, at which he's slightly above average, but he will likely wear out his welcome at the NHL level as he seems incapable of completing a shift without winding up in the penalty box.

Lessard Fretter 10-04-2003 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAThrasher
He's the Thrasher's only 'enforcer'. That said, IMO, he's a stiff. He serves no purpose other than to fight, at which he's slightly above average, but he will likely wear out his welcome at the NHL level as he seems incapable of completing a shift without winding up in the penalty box.

What a load of horse katunga.

Hartley was happy with Lessard after his call up last season.

Also, Lessard has not been having any serious penalty problems this preseason or for a while now, it's just anti-Lessard fans like yourself refuse to give him a real chance because you don't like him for whatever reason not related to your incorrect statements about him. And anyone that's followed him long will notice that you're also lying about his fighting skills, because he rarely loses a fight. Even the best enforcers in the NHL cannot outright beat him in a fight because Lessard is a real smart fighter and is as tough as they come.

Lastly, Lessard will likely be here all season and should do well as the Thrashers main enforcer, regardless to your hate of him.

VAThrasher 10-04-2003 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lessard Fretter
Lastly, Lessard will likely be here all season and should do well as the Thrashers main enforcer, regardless to your hate of him.

I don't hate him, he's just a unidimensional 'player' that seems to show no self-restraint. He's a throwback to the days of Dave Schultz - simply put, a goon.

Hordichuk_24 10-04-2003 03:30 PM

Lessard is one hell of a fighter. Potential Top 10 guy. He should have a great season ahead of him.

Lessard Fretter 10-04-2003 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Lessard is one hell of a fighter. Potential Top 10 guy. He should have a great season ahead of him.

Yeah, I know. Sounds like that other poster just don't like enforcers, er, goons, like Lessard. :lol:

VAThrasher 10-04-2003 05:53 PM

OK, you guys are right. He's great. He must've really put on a show in the two Thrashers' games I missed last year...

Hordichuk_24 10-04-2003 06:06 PM

Quote:

OK, you guys are right. He's great. He must've really put on a show in the two Thrashers' games I missed last year...

Honestly, do you really know that much about Lessard? Or are you just making an assumption based on what you've seen with Atlanta? Because if that is the case, that isn't very fair, IMO. He hasn't really been there long enough to make a fair judgement. He should turn some heads this season, thats for sure.

VAThrasher 10-05-2003 04:20 AM

Quote:

Honestly, do you really know that much about Lessard? Or are you just making an assumption based on what you've seen with Atlanta? Because if that is the case, that isn't very fair, IMO. He hasn't really been there long enough to make a fair judgement. He should turn some heads this season, thats for sure.

Purely based on what I've seen in Atlanta (with the exception of his fight with Hordichuk a couple years ago). I just rarely see him attempt a hit with his elbows down or without leaving his skates, so although he has all the best intentions, he winds up hurting his team.

Hordichuk_24 10-05-2003 03:29 PM

Quote:

Purely based on what I've seen in Atlanta (with the exception of his fight with Hordichuk a couple years ago). I just rarely see him attempt a hit with his elbows down or without leaving his skates, so although he has all the best intentions, he winds up hurting his team.

He is still young with limited NHL experience. Give the guy this season and see if any of that changes. He was one hell of a fighter at the AHL level. And there isn't any reason why he can't blossom into a top enforcer at the NHL level either.

VAThrasher 10-06-2003 01:55 PM

Quote:

He is still young with limited NHL experience. Give the guy this season and see if any of that changes. He was one hell of a fighter at the AHL level. And there isn't any reason why he can't blossom into a top enforcer at the NHL level either.

I hope when all is said and done my opinion of him is wrong.

For some reason, I just can't get into it today. :(

btn 10-07-2003 07:48 AM

I love the goons, but I do not see Lessard lasting the season as the Thrashers enforcer.

There is a talent issue that must be addressed. He could end up being too much of a liability on the ice. I can see DW making a move for a known tough guy during this season.

Lessard Fretter 10-07-2003 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn
I love the goons, but I do not see Lessard lasting the season as the Thrashers enforcer.

There is a talent issue that must be addressed. He could end up being too much of a liability on the ice. I can see DW making a move for a known tough guy during this season.

He hasn't been in the parts of two seasons in Atlanta, so I see no reason to expect so now. In fact, he was +1 last season, that's great for last season when compared to the team plus-minus average.

Lastly, all enforcers are not the best of players, and most usually have a neg. plus-minus, so Lessard not having one thus far in his short NHL career at both defence and at forward is a good sign, IMO.

Furthermore, he could still be used as a 5th-6th d-man should he need to be. And I think his experience as formerly a defenceman will only help him in the future. Remember, this will be only his second season at forward.

neelynugs 10-13-2003 06:14 PM

back for an update- what's up w/lessard? i notice he's not seen any action yet this season.

Holly Gunning 10-13-2003 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
back for an update- what's up w/lessard? i notice he's not seen any action yet this season.

Good eye, neelynugs, I was wondering when someone would notice. He's been scratched both games.

Lessard Fretter 10-14-2003 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyG
Good eye, neelynugs, I was wondering when someone would notice. He's been scratched both games.

I imagine Hartley didn't feel a enforcer was needed against the Blue Jackets or Caps, but I expect Lessard will play tonight, because the Isles are a team that has a number of players that like to stir things up.

Lessard career stats Vs Isles:

2 GP 0 goals, 1 assist, +1 Plus-minus, 17 PIM

Holly Gunning 10-14-2003 03:17 AM

Given that the team is winning, I expect them to keep precisely the same roster as the past two games. If it ain't broke...

The Sneak 10-14-2003 07:37 AM

I agree, HollyG. I wouldn't expect Lessard to get a start until Hartley believes there's going to be trouble (or he needs some sort of kick start). Not sure of BHs time at Colorado if he was a fan of the goon on goon action, but I think we have a couple "tough guys" in the line up that would be able to address any ugliness that may come up against the Isles

btn 10-14-2003 09:34 AM

If not tonight, then definitely against the Rags. They will be sore coming off a 5-0 drubbing against the BJ's.