HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   San Jose/Atlanta proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=168042)

OrrNumber4 08-31-2005 07:28 PM

San Jose/Atlanta proposal

SJ and Atlanta aren't the best of partners, and I doubt a deal between these two would happen. A few years ago, San Jose (contender) and Atlanta (rebuilder) would have been great partners. Now, San Jose could only offer quality prospects for Kovalchuk, and Atlanta, who is trying to contend like San Jose, wouldn't want that. I also don't think San Jose would like Kovalchuk because he might struggle in their system. But I'll make this proposal anyway, to see how it would be value wise. :)

To San Jose:
Kovalchuk (providing a contract is signed)

To Atlanta:
Marco Sturm (can't touch Kovalchuk in terms of skill, but brings experience, maturity, and a very strong two-way game)

Chrisitan Ehrhoff (would help Atlanta's d-crop for years, a future 1-2 punch with Coburn?),

Steve Bernier (stud prospect),

Tom Preissing (an upgrade over Hnidy, Kloucek, Sutton,),

Vesa Toskala (split time with Lehtonen)
second rounder in 06.

Might be a bit of an overpayment, might be too less.
Flame away

AvsGuy 08-31-2005 07:32 PM

why would SJ do this? they trade half their team for a great player who could get injured, and then where would they be?

OrrNumber4 08-31-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
why would SJ do this? they trade half their team for a great player who could get injured, and then where would they be?

Kovalchuk replaces Marco Sturm's LW duties on the first line. You have to give to get.

Sharks have a lot of defensive depth. They can afford to lose Preissing very easily. Davison, Fahey, Murray, Stafford, Gorges, can easily take his place.

Toskala- Sharks can't keep him and Nabakov anyway. Toskala could be a starter, and he'll have a better chance in Atlanta. If SJ extends Nabakov contract, they will lose Toskala to free agency anyway.

Steve Bernier is a prospect.

AvsGuy 08-31-2005 07:57 PM

i just don't get it. i guess the value is there, but you have to really look at how depleted the Sharks would be after this trade, or how unpopular the Atlanta management would be after this trade.

JonathanTwinkleToews 08-31-2005 08:02 PM

Basically, another quantity for quality trade. These hardly ever happen.

Heatley went for Hossa + De Vries.
Kovalchuk would probably fetch *Superstar* + *something else* (Like a Gaborik + Fernandez)

trbr86 08-31-2005 08:02 PM

Without even considering the above proposal...

San Jose is very much a franchise built around the collective team, not one or two star players. I cannot see them dismantling a significant portion of an already well built club for one offensive threat.

Peter Griffin 08-31-2005 08:05 PM

For Kovalchuk, it would probably take Marleau plus a pretty good d-man, perhaps Stuart. Kovy won't come cheap.

OrrNumber4 08-31-2005 08:10 PM

Quote:

i just don't get it. i guess the value is there, but you have to really look at how depleted the Sharks would be after this trade, or how unpopular the Atlanta management would be after this trade.

If Atlanta has to trade Kovalchuk, they will for the best value.

how are the sharks dismantaling? Kovalchuk takes away Sturm. San Jose's major flaw is that they don't have a gamebreaker. Its the reason why Calgary was able to beat the Sharks in the last playoffs. San Jose has lots of defensive depth; that's why they can afford to lose Ehrhoff and Preissing. Nabakov and Toskala form a formidable pair, but the Sharks have Dmitri Patzold, Patrich Ehelechner, and other goalies waiting in the wings. Regardless, San Jose won't be able to keep both Nabakov and Toskala once they both hit free agency.

OrrNumber4 08-31-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brule
Basically, another quantity for quality trade. These hardly ever happen.

Heatley went for Hossa + De Vries.
Kovalchuk would probably fetch *Superstar* + *something else* (Like a Gaborik + Fernandez)

Yeah, this is one major reason Atlanta wouldn't do this trade. If they were having the same problems with Kovalchuk two or three years ago, I think SJ and Atlanta would be excellent trading partners. Now that Atlanta is trying to be a playoff team, I could see why they would want help *now* instead for the future.

Vatican Roulette 08-31-2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

depleted? What roster are you looking at?

Priessing is a low 2nd, high 3rd pairing guy, Sturm is a 1st/2nd line winger, and Toskala is a back-up.

So in the end, SJ has to fill 2 roster spots, a 3rd pairing guy and a back-up.

Lordy, lordy.

Plus, SJ has the deepest prospect pool on the right side in the NHL with Michalek, Morris, Brenier, and now Setoguchi.

Waddell would get hanged though. ;)