HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Whats the deal with Hossa? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=16809)

TomHBlain 10-04-2003 06:53 AM

Whats the deal with Hossa?

Is he gonna get good play time this year? Any signs of him playing like his brother Marian? I was in a 26 player keeper draft and took him in a later round. I am wondering if he will produce at all this year (or even be on the team this year). Thanks.

Corey 10-04-2003 06:58 AM

Marcel Hossa has been playing very well in most of the preseason games. He's involved in the action and fights hard to hold on to the pick in the opposing team's zone. He's had a lot to do with Ribeiro's good showing.

HABitude 10-04-2003 07:22 AM

Marcel Hossa is a very fluctuating player. Some games he plays big, then 3 other games he will not show up. Invisible man.

I just hope next time he will disapear on the ice GM Bob Gainey will kick his a$$ and make him learn what heart at work is.

HabsoluteFate 10-04-2003 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
Marcel Hossa has been playing very well in most of the preseason games. He's involved in the action and fights hard to hold on to the pick in the opposing team's zone. He's had a lot to do with Ribeiro's good showing.

Your kidding right? Ribeiro has a lot to do with Hossa's good showing...Rib has been dominant every single games he's played....Hossa was invisible early on and as time wore on he got better...because he played with Ribeiro. I'm not taking anything away from Hossa because i like him but give Rib some credit here....
Having said that someone please take Audette off the line...Zed-Rib-Hossa will kick @ss if they play together a full season

Munchausen 10-04-2003 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHBlain
Any signs of him playing like his brother Marian?

Man am I tired of those non-sense comparisons. He-does-not-play-like-his-brother-Marian.

One name, two distinct styles of play. What's so hard to understand there?

Munchausen 10-04-2003 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Your kidding right? Ribeiro has a lot to do with Hossa's good showing...Rib has been dominant every single games he's played....Hossa was invisible early on and as time wore on he got better...because he played with Ribeiro. I'm not taking anything away from Hossa because i like him but give Rib some credit here....
Having said that someone please take Audette off the line...Zed-Rib-Hossa will kick @ss if they play together a full season

I think you don't give enough credit to Hossa. Might have been true for the 1st few games but after Hossa has been publicly criticized by Julien for not working enough, he has responded like no other, and he started to play like a PF, going hard in the corners, keeping his feet moving and even delivering some hits. If Hossa continues to play with this level of intensity all year, he won't be a leetch to Ribeiro and could hit the 45pts mark.

gohabsgo2010 10-04-2003 07:39 AM

All throughout the summer I was so dissapointed in Hossa that I would rather have seen him in Hamilton. However, he's been very good in the preseason, and I think a regular shift with Ribs and Zed is what's best for him right now. We know if he falters, there's a big bald man sitting upstairs prepared to rip his head off.

Go Hossa.

TomHBlain 10-04-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Man am I tired of those non-sense comparisons. He-does-not-play-like-his-brother-Marian.

One name, two distinct styles of play. What's so hard to understand there?

I have seen little of the guy so I was just asking what type of player he was. It was more wishful thinking that it was an assumption. ;)

Thanks for the input everyone.

jcpenny 10-04-2003 09:40 AM

I dont know if everybody have seen the highlights on TSn yesterday night but for the first time i saw Hossa show some moves with the puck and will to keep it more than 2 secs...

Munchausen 10-04-2003 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
I dont know if everybody have seen the highlights on TSn yesterday night but for the first time i saw Hossa show some moves with the puck and will to keep it more than 2 secs...

Well it's a big question of confidence and motivation in his case I beleive. If the coaching staff (and himself) can get those 2 variables to remain pretty high, I think he'll have a pretty good year playing with Ribs.

didjuicythat 10-04-2003 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strummerman
hell it took Koivu 8 years to get 70 points in a season :bow:

It took him 2 complete seasons though. Before last season, he had played 82 games only once in his career, and that was in 1995-1996. That's not an accurate comment you had there. Concerning Marcel Hossa, I can't see how he could be as good as his brother is at the age of 24. He does have the size, and perhaps he too has the skating, but no way in hell does he have the same on ice vision, and the same determination to score and to make things happen on the ice.

The good thing is, Marcel seems to have understood Julien's message. After he said in an interview he wanted him to be more implicated in both zones, Marcel didn't look as disinterested as he was in the past. Let's see if he keeps doing the same for the months to come.

didjuicythat 10-04-2003 10:48 AM

Quote:

Sheesh what are you an opthamologist too- what a load of crock- determination comes with maturity and with semi decent line mates that can pass-all the things Marian has- as for on ice vision- if Marcel has tunnel vision let me know

As for Koivu he has had linemates like Recchi that could score and he still hasnt amounted to much oh tribal Koivu butt kisser :bow:

You really believe you are the only one who can be right about everything and anything, eh? I won't bother replying to your thoughts anymore, it's not worth it. :madfire:

You should learn how to respect other people's opinion, even when you strongly disagree.

tinyzombies 10-04-2003 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
Was'nt a Hossa - Brendl proposal here about 2 weeks ago? :lol:

That was me... :p

Must have been all that glue I was sniffing at the time.

habsfansam 10-04-2003 01:25 PM

2 hossas, 1 name

i seem to recall an interview a while back where Marcel said that he and Marian are nothing alike as players... marian the shooter, marcel the setup guy (must have made for sick backyard hockey at the Hossa home when the boys were young... hate it for the guy they stuck in net).

marian is a goal-scoring, pure-blooded, free-wheeling, whirlwind of a hockey player. That marcel can't be as good is ridiculous, but we'll have to accept that he's a different animal than his brother... give him another 2 full seasons and i'll bet he's as important to the habs as marian is to the sens.

mcphee 10-04-2003 02:04 PM

Quote:

:bow: i respect habitude's opinion apparently the only opinion you respect is from a member of the loyal order of tribal Koivu butt kissers

I respect Habitude's opinions too, even when we disagree, because we can debate an issue without it becoming a train wreck.

mcphee 10-04-2003 02:26 PM

The issue can become tiresome though. Saku is what he is. Sports has become a "today" type of thing. If he was a 70 point man last year, he become a 70-80 point expectation this year. Noone has mistaken him for Forsberg or Thornton. The issue isn't whether Koivu would be better with Bertuzzi and whoever, it is, would the team be better ? They need more offensive top level players. Take Weight and replace Koivu, you've got the same thing. Replacing Koivu isn't the issue. I reject the arguement that we should replace our top player. We need more top players. If Saku would get us 2 young 50 point guys who could improve, I'd say make the deal, but it just doesn't work that way. The team gets all Koivu has to give. Often, due to injuries it isn't enough.

As for Hossa, it was evident in Marian Hossa's last year in Jr. that he was a special player and he has steadily improved every year. His younger brother can be a solid contributor, but they aren't in the same class. This isn't just my opinion, scouts were telling people when he was drafted, don't expect him to play like his brother.

Corey 10-04-2003 07:38 PM

What is Strummerman's reliable source that is telling him Marcel is more talented than Marian? He should let us in on it, or is his head buzzing with vibrations from overamplification?

CrAzYNiNe 10-04-2003 07:56 PM

Marian and Marcel play the same style? What games are those people watching. Marcel is a small power forward, he tries to play big, but isn't used to being against other people his size. Marian is PURE skill style of player. Just cause they have the same name, it means nothing. Just cause they are brothers, mean nothing. If you think about it, they are sopposed to be opposites, cause if you play a sport with someone long enough, someone becomes to dominant player and the other is the setup man.

CrAzYNiNe 10-04-2003 08:36 PM

Quote:

I dont know what you have been watching but Marcel has shown brief flashes of great skill- great skating great shot- accurate shot and sniper capabilities

Um, didn't people say that Ribeiro had Brief Flashes of Wayne Gretzky. We both knows Ribs ain't no Gretzky. He might make nifty moves AT TIMES, but a lot of people can do that, even Dwyer can pull off a nifty move. OK not Dwyer, but I have seen Van Allen make some nifty moves when he played here, and he is going to be a Marian Hossa too?

Team_Spirit 10-04-2003 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
Was'nt a Hossa - Brendl proposal here about 2 weeks ago? :lol:

It's not the 1st dumb proposal we saw on the Habs board , wake up .

FTK 10-04-2003 09:09 PM

Marian Hossa is already a superstar, and has the potential to be more. Marcel Hossa is a rookie, and has the potential to be a star.

Marian is a very skilled player, one of the top 3 Snipers in the league ( Hedjuk, Naslund ), Great speed and good size ( 6'1'' 205 ), he's a winger. I think he Can reach the 50 goals, 100 points plateau.

Marcel has very good skills, althought he's not as good as Marian in the scoring departement. He has Very good size ( 6'3'' 220 ) and he's a center. Predictions are way early in his case, because we have yet to see him play a full nhl season. If he reaches his full potential, I think his stats will look like this : 30g 55a 85pts 70pm. That puts him ahead of Koivu in the MTL center depth chart.

Russeltown 10-05-2003 04:49 AM

Compare Marcel and Marian Hossa is as like as a comparison between Rob and Scott Niedermayer :P

Marmax 10-05-2003 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sYn
Compare Marcel and Marian Hossa is as like as a comparison between Rob and Scott Niedermayer :P

great comparison, a def with a forward :rolleyes:

Munchausen 10-05-2003 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmax
great comparison, a def with a forward :rolleyes:

I think that's why he put a ":p" in his post.

cat is to kitten as dog is to...puppy.

Scott Niedermayer is to Rob as Marian Hossa is to... Marcel.

FTK 10-05-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

Wow I mean are you serious when you make the comment he is not as good as Marian. Did you expect him to score as much as Marian last year playing limited time on a 4th line and being only 21??

Get Marcel a playmaking center and then we will see how good he is if he plays full time

Marcel doesn't need a playmaking, HE's a playmaking center...It's not because Marian Hossa is a superstar sniper that Marcel should be one as well...It's not Pavel and Valeri bure ( one-way 60 goal scorer and one way 30 goal scorer ).

I think Marcel is doing Really well and I dont see why everyone is worried...People might be high on Komisarek, but I really like Marcel Hossa.