HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Does Brashear do his job? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=168574)

Gert B Frobe 09-02-2005 04:15 PM

Does Brashear do his job?

Nevermind his salary- does he back up his teammates? Does he make other players pay for running at our skill players?

Steve L* 09-02-2005 04:18 PM

No, he doesnt go after players that take cheap shots, he should pound Tucker but he wont do a thing.

Brad* 09-02-2005 04:19 PM

No.

He fights when he feels like it, not when he needs to.

GoneFullHextall 09-02-2005 04:59 PM

can anyone think of one notable fight he has had since coming to the Flyers other then what he did to Rob Ray in the brawlfest?

WillardJFredricks 09-02-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
can anyone think of one notable fight he has had since coming to the Flyers other then what he did to Rob Ray in the brawlfest?

Well, he did destroy Kelly Buchberger after he took a cheapshot, but he doesn't stick up for anyone but himself.

Gert B Frobe 09-04-2005 09:13 PM

he beat the tar out of Domi once...

FlyHigh 09-04-2005 10:02 PM

no.

Bryanbryoil 09-04-2005 11:05 PM

Sounds like Laraque!!! Is that really how few of times he's scrapped since becoming a Flyer??? Some of these guys need to remember what got them into the league in the first place!!!

Steve L* 09-05-2005 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
he beat the tar out of Domi once...

once?

Nacho 09-05-2005 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
once?

I can remember a couple of more with those two...

FearTheFlyers 09-05-2005 09:01 AM

No, he doesn't, he looks out for one player on the team and that's himself. He's a waste of space.

tytech 09-05-2005 09:35 AM

He beat up Sandy McArthy once. Cracked McCarthy's helmet but it stayed on his head while they were fighting. McCarthy's hari was coming up through the crack. Pretty funny. He's never fought a heavyweight though. No WOrell or Cairns. Domi and Neill from Ottawa. Personally Vandemeer and Fedoruk were more willing to go then Brash any day.

MojoJojo 09-05-2005 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom

I remember him destroying Sandy McCarthy, Tie Domi, and Scott Stevens among others.

DaveBrown21 09-05-2005 10:25 AM

all this Brash bashing is getting old. If you all think Brashear doesn't do his job, then come up with a practical replacement for him. I defy anyone to name a player that the Flyers could sign today that is MORE intimidating than Brashear.

note: don't waste your time tyoing the names of Matt Johnson or Peter Worrell...puleeeez :shakehead

King Fish 09-05-2005 10:30 AM

No doubt he is a good fighter but like everyone stated he may fight the other teams goon when he feels like it. He would not go after a Marchment for a low hit. I like seeing some players sticking up for themselves, or non goons scrapping ie: Mike Richards and Brad Boyes in the AHL Playoffs, the kid does everything.

FlyHigh 09-05-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBrown21
all this Brash bashing is getting old. If you all think Brashear doesn't do his job, then come up with a practical replacement for him. I defy anyone to name a player that the Flyers could sign today that is MORE intimidating than Brashear.

note: don't waste your time tyoing the names of Matt Johnson or Peter Worrell...puleeeez :shakehead

The days of goons in the NHL is coming to an end. I'd rather see the Flyers sign Sim. Primeau and Stevenson are enough muscle for this team not too mention Hatcher. In fact, I'd say Hatcher is more intimidating than Brashear.

DeleteThisAccount 09-05-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I'd rather see the Flyers sign Sim.

They already have.

MojoJojo 09-05-2005 12:00 PM

Brashear is a decent player too. He doesnt provide offense, but he is a good agitator and is not a liability, unlike a lot of other enforcers. I'm not saying he is worth his pay, but he is certainly a cut above the glorified AHL enforcer.

mattihp 09-05-2005 12:03 PM

Two guys needing a change of environment? ;) Trade Brashear for Laraque ;)

paxtang 09-05-2005 12:05 PM

I Brashear played in the regular season like he does in the preseason, he'd be a valuable asset.

Steve L* 09-05-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBrown21

Hes so intimidating that players like Tucker dont waste their time trying to put both elbows through jaws of players like Kapanen right?

Oh wait.....

stanley 09-05-2005 01:36 PM

If Brashear challanged Darcy Tucker, or simply grabbed him and started having his way, he would instantaneously lose respect around the league unless it was done spontaneously and instantaneously after an incident. It would have to be a reaction, not premeditated. Tucker, despite being a pest and frequently dirty, is a light-weight. It doesn't work the way some of you guys want it to, and for good reason. Do we want to see Domi taking on Mike Richards?

I'm with Dave all the way on this one. Brashear not only can pound the tar out of just about anybody, he can take a regular shift without hurting his team. When he and his linemates get the puck below the goal line and cycle, he makes defensemen work hard and subsequently, causes them to waste energy that they'd otherwise be able to expend on the likes of Forsberg and Gagne.

At any rate, I think a lot of fans' expectations for Brashear hinge around the a misconception that most NHL players can be scared into looking the other way. For example, I might "hate" Darcy Tucker as a fan, but I'm under no illusions that he's going to be intimidated. These guys are professionals - the threat of Donald Brashear or anybody else fighting them is much less a concern than Donald Brashear banging with them in the corner.

Oh, and to answer Mountaineer's question, you can take my skates from me the day I need anybody to fight my battles for me.

Brad* 09-05-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
If Brashear challenged Darcy Tucker, or simply grabbed him and started having his way, he would instantaneously lose respect around the league unless it was done spontaneously and instantaneously after an incident. It would have to be a reaction, not premeditated. Tucker, despite being a pest and frequently dirty, is a light-weight. It doesn't work the way some of you guys want it to, and for good reason. Do we want to see Domi taking on Mike Richards?

I'm with Dave all the way on this one. Brashear not only can pound the tar out of just about anybody, he can take a regular shift without hurting his team. When he and his linemates get the puck below the goal line and cycle, he makes defensemen work hard and subsequently, causes them to waste energy that they'd otherwise be able to expend on the likes of Forsberg and Gagne.

At any rate, I think a lot of fans' expectations for Brashear hinge around the a misconception that most NHL players can be scared into looking the other way. For example, I might "hate" Darcy Tucker as a fan, but I'm under no illusions that he's going to be intimidated. These guys are professionals - the threat of Donald Brashear or anybody else fighting them is much less a concern than Donald Brashear banging with them in the corner.

Oh, and to answer Mountaineer's question, you can take my skates from me the day I need anybody to fight my battles for me.

Judging an "enforcer" is not easy. There is simply no statistic in existence that quantifies the job of the enforcer, so the only real evaluation is watching them play. Quite simply, Brashear just isn't there enough to justify his salary or a place amongst the top enforcers in the game.

I've said before that no grown man requires another to fight for him, or to motivate him. I believe that is one of those classic sports idioms that simply continues on because no one chooses to question it; personally, I find the idea to be nonsense. If you've made it to the NHL, you're tough enough and brazen enough to do just about whatever you please on the ice, and the fear of another man probably will not stop that. Then the job of the enforcer simply becomes comeuppance; to give the offender what he deserves.

Brashear's job is then, to go an eye-for-an-eye with the person who, say, runs Gagne. I take issue with Brashear because the times when he becomes most invisible are also the times when his services are most needed. If Brashear had made a livelihood of handing out retribution for brutality against his teammates, then the general consensus among Flyers' fans would not be that he is useless.

If his sole job was to be a physical player, then he does it adequately. He can hit, yet still take a shift without hurting the team. However, that type of grit will only take a team so far. Even for being a fourth liner, Brashear's skill level is fair at best. The Flyers would be better suited as a hockey team (and not a brawling squad) to give his position on the team to a younger, and more talented player as ultimately, skill will take you much further than grit.

paxtang 09-05-2005 02:34 PM

Like I said, if Brash played in the regular season like he does in preseason, he'd be a dominant force. He causes all sorts of ****, and then backs it all up. All the NJD's did was talk about Brash after last preseason. He can take an entire team off their game, and there isn't **** they can do abou *** because almost no one can beat him in a fight. He just spends too much time either trying to hard to be a goal scorer or starting **** and letting other people finish it.

Steve L* 09-05-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
If Brashear challanged Darcy Tucker, or simply grabbed him and started having his way, he would instantaneously lose respect around the league unless it was done spontaneously and instantaneously after an incident.

So respect is more important than fellow players health? Anyway Tucker would have just turtled and given his team a 5m powerplay.

Thats just BS, Tucker should be absolutely destroyed the next time he plays the Flyers.

Maybe then Brashear would gain a bit of respect with his teammates and fans.

His job is to protect his teammates, not to see how many rep points he can get around the league. He has a bad reputation anyway so he might as well do his job.