HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: Rangers likely to use final buyout on Richards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1690615)

Lundsanity30 06-16-2014 10:45 AM

Rangers likely to use final buyout on Richards
 
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...nley-cup-final

Tawnos 06-16-2014 10:48 AM

From the article

Quote:

Larry Brooks of the Post called it a "fait accompli" that Richards has played his last game for the Rangers, and the Globe's Fluto Shinzawa said that the Rangers would be right to use their amnesty on Richards due to his diminishing skills.
That's fine, but I feel like we heard the same noises last year.

Rust Heisenberg 06-16-2014 10:50 AM

Good.

Lundsanity30 06-16-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 86531147)
From the article



That's fine, but I feel like we heard the same noises last year.

Last year it didn't make as much sense though. Re evaluate and see him under a new coach, see if anything changes, etc.. and actually he was a big part in getting us to the SCF, so it worked.

Tawnos 06-16-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 (Post 86531311)
Last year it didn't make as much sense though. Re evaluate and see him under a new coach, see if anything changes, etc.. and actually he was a big part in getting us to the SCF, so it worked.

Yeah, I'm not second guessing that decision to keep him. Just saying, last year made a ton of sense too. Huge risk taken that he wouldn't be hurt when this year's buyout window opened up. So I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

Trainmman 06-16-2014 10:53 AM

Could happen in the next few minutes... think it will happen sooner rather than later.

Riverdale 06-16-2014 10:54 AM

tick tock tick tock

I'm eagerly awaiting an announcement.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-16-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 86531147)
From the article



That's fine, but I feel like we heard the same noises last year.

They didn't have to do it last year. They had the liberty to see how he would bounce back with a new coach. They don't have that luxury this summer.

Ail 06-16-2014 10:58 AM

Everyone who did not see this coming raise your hands.




Anyone? Anyone?

nikonsniper* 06-16-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 86531389)
Yeah, I'm not second guessing that decision to keep him. Just saying, last year made a ton of sense too. Huge risk taken that he wouldn't be hurt when this year's buyout window opened up. So I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

Aside from the risk of injury, the real "what if" in my mind is that, had Richards been bought out last year, would that have forced a move that offseason (or during) to bring in a real #1C, and would that have made the difference in the Finals?

I mean, swap ROR for Staal last off season... do we win the Cup then?

I doubt that Sather&Co would have taken the 'wait and see' approach with richards if they knew the team was going to be a few periods away from winning the cup.

I'm going to guess that Glen didn't see this coming. They were likely seeing this season as a building block/transition, with a new coach and all. I believe that led them to believe they could hold onto Richards as a stop-gap in the meantime.

Lundsanity30 06-16-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikonsniper (Post 86532075)
Aside from the risk of injury, the real "what if" in my mind is that, had Richards been bought out last year, would that have forced a move that offseason (or during) to bring in a real #1C, and would that have made the difference in the Finals?

I mean, swap ROR for Staal last off season... do we win the Cup then?

I doubt that Sather&Co would have taken the 'wait and see' approach with richards if they knew the team was going to be a few periods away from winning the cup.

Do we get there without Richards though? He had some big goals and plays along the run.

nikonsniper* 06-16-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 (Post 86532135)
Do we get there without Richards though? He had some big goals and plays along the run.

You gotta hope the "better player" would be able to at least match (and hopefully beat) his production.

Lundquest 06-16-2014 11:14 AM

Get this done.

haveandare 06-16-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikonsniper (Post 86532075)
Aside from the risk of injury, the real "what if" in my mind is that, had Richards been bought out last year, would that have forced a move that offseason (or during) to bring in a real #1C, and would that have made the difference in the Finals?

I mean, swap ROR for Staal last off season... do we win the Cup then?

I doubt that Sather&Co would have taken the 'wait and see' approach with richards if they knew the team was going to be a few periods away from winning the cup.

I'm going to guess that Glen didn't see this coming. They were likely seeing this season as a building block/transition, with a new coach and all. I believe that led them to believe they could hold onto Richards as a stop-gap in the meantime.

Pretty huge question. Depending on who played Staal's minutes, chances are the Pens would have finished the job and we wouldn't have even made the ECF.

Ail 06-16-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haveandare (Post 86533545)
Pretty huge question. Depending on who played Staal's minutes, chances are the Pens would have finished the job and we wouldn't have even made the ECF.

Yes, but having 3 #1 defensemen is a luxury most teams cannot afford. They can't rely on that forever. It will cost them way too much.

You have to hope McD never has that slow start to the playoffs ever again.

Evgeny Oliker 06-16-2014 11:55 AM

...
 
Long overdue. Should have done this last off-season

I believe he actually hurt us in these Finals. He didn't produce offensively. He hurt us with his lack of speed and many turnovers. Now Sather learns finally...too late as usual.

Levitate 06-16-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker (Post 86534813)
Long overdue. Should have done this last off-season

I believe he actually hurt us in these Finals. He didn't produce offensively. He hurt us with his lack of speed and many turnovers. Now Sather learns finally...too late as usual.

He still scored over 50 points during the regular season and was a leading scorer in the playoffs for the Rangers through the first two rounds or so. It's very likely they don't make it to the finals without him, even though he did bomb out in the finals pretty hard.

NickyFotiu 06-16-2014 12:07 PM

This is 99.9999999999999917% certain so I'm surprised it is even a discussion. I think they have around 2 weeks to do it. May not want to dump on Richards right after the cup but it will be done.

AHB 06-16-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyFotiu (Post 86535471)
This is 99.9999999999999917% certain so I'm surprised it is even a discussion. I think they have around 2 weeks to do it. May not want to dump on Richards right after the cup but it will be done.

Just bite the bullet. Richards knows it's business. It would be wrong to string him along.

Evgeny Oliker 06-16-2014 12:14 PM

Actually it's doing him a favor.

He can start thinking about his future ASAP.

Fletch 06-16-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 86531735)
They didn't have to do it last year. They had the liberty to see how he would bounce back with a new coach. They don't have that luxury this summer.

that's the rub. Gets expensive after this year. Replacing him isn't a slam dunk. Heck, even without him this team doesn't ice a team filled with the guys who competed for the Stanley Cup. Sather needs to find a rabbit in a hat.

Raspewtin 06-16-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverdale (Post 86531505)
tick tock tick tock

I'm eagerly awaiting an announcement.

You'll probably be waiting a while.

Why would they buy him out on break-up day? How bad would that look?

Fletch 06-16-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker (Post 86535861)
Actually it's doing him a favor.

He can start thinking about his future ASAP.

Start thinking about his future? His future is that of an NHL centerman. Just doesn't know where he will end up. Sure he will find a gig, perhaps taking a one year to show he can still play and take it from there. He's 34 years old and was third on his team in scoring (second in goals). He's not done yet...

ColonialsHockey10 06-16-2014 12:18 PM

Good.

Good riddance, piece of crap. Guy treated this place like a retirement resort.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-16-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 86535871)
that's the rub. Gets expensive after this year. Replacing him isn't a slam dunk. Heck, even without him this team doesn't ice a team filled with the guys who competed for the Stanley Cup. Sather needs to find a rabbit in a hat.

I'm actually not really worried about replacing him. I'm very comfortable with the idea that the Rangers can make up for his production by getting more from guys already on the team.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.