HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pavel Brendl?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17025)

Nielson81 10-04-2003 09:44 PM

Pavel Brendl??

Some of you may not agree but I have been saying for the past 3 years that the Habs should go get Pavel Brendl, he has been sent down by the Canes again, are they ready to give up on him because if they are they I say the Habs hop all over it.

I have watched him since he was 17 and of every hockey game I have ever seen in person he has been the most pure sniper out of the bunch.

If we want to score goals we go get Pavel Brendl and put him on Koivu's wing. Through a solid defensive winger on the other side and let Pavel go to work!!

Maybe

Brendl - Koivu - Ward

I'm not sure what it would take to get him, I'm sure many people are going to bash me for suggestng this but I still think he can bury 40 at the NHL level within a couple of years.

Unbiased Canadian

gallagher 10-04-2003 09:52 PM

I'd love to see it. Everyone wants Pavel to change his game and go 2 ways before he can get good ice on the top 2 lines. If someone simply gives up on that notion, rather than giving up on the player, they'll see the benefit.

I agree that Brendl can pile up the goals if allowed to play with someone who can carry it for him.

I don't want to be the 1 millionth person to compare him to Bure, but no one has ever asked Bure to play both ways and gotten the most out of him.

Put Brendl on a top line and KNOW that he'll never cover his man. Hope for 40+ goals and fewer than 20 against his line.

He simply will never be a 2 way guy.

I agree, Unbiased, someone should just accept him for who he is and see what he can do.

Team_Spirit 10-04-2003 09:52 PM

We still have too many fowards and Brendl is not even a quick fix he's a high-risk gamble .

Nielson81 10-04-2003 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
We still have too many fowards and Brendl is not even a quick fix he's a high-risk gamble .

Brendl has more pure goal scoring talent then any forward on our roster, he is only 22 yet, I'd give up a second round pick for him.

Unbiased Canadian

Bugsy 10-04-2003 10:06 PM

The knock on Brendl is his desire and work ethic. When you're blessed with extrordinary skills, as he is, he doesn't really have to work all that hard in the lower ranks.
But what separates a true competitor from the flakes, is the desire and willingness to bring your game to the next level. So far, Brendl hasn't shown a willingness to "pay the price" and "get his nose dirty" and "dig in the corners" etc. Basically, you can use any cliche you want, but what it comes down to is he is lazy!

Munchausen 10-04-2003 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
Brendl has more pure goal scoring talent then any forward on our roster, he is only 22 yet, I'd give up a second round pick for him.

Unbiased Canadian

Didn't we all come to the consensus lately that we did not need any more soft inconsistent heartless players? Because yes, Brendl as been penciled as that kind of forward. Tremendous skills, but just like Daigle, does not want to pay the price (work on or off the ice) and thus did not improve in 3 years.

Can you say Czerkawski take 2?

Team_Spirit 10-04-2003 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen

Chow is more proven .

Munchausen 10-04-2003 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Chow is more proven .

Of course. My point was same kind of players who bring the same kind of worthless play.

Russian Fan 10-05-2003 01:27 AM

Quote:

Some of you may not agree but I have been saying for the past 3 years that the Habs should go get Pavel Brendl, he has been sent down by the Canes again, are they ready to give up on him because if they are they I say the Habs hop all over it.

I have watched him since he was 17 and of every hockey game I have ever seen in person he has been the most pure sniper out of the bunch.

If we want to score goals we go get Pavel Brendl and put him on Koivu's wing. Through a solid defensive winger on the other side and let Pavel go to work!!

Maybe

Brendl - Koivu - Ward

I'm not sure what it would take to get him, I'm sure many people are going to bash me for suggestng this but I still think he can bury 40 at the NHL level within a couple of years.

Unbiased Canadian

I like the IDEA of getting Brendl Unbiased but if the FANS couldn't stand Eric Chouinard , how can they make a good judgment about Brendl ???

Marksman 10-05-2003 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen

Eric Chouinard take 2?

RE-HABS 10-05-2003 06:30 AM

Three teams can't be wrong about this kid, he is not our type of player if he can't make it elsewhere. The Canes have an 18 yearold further in development and ready to play in Carolina in Staal over a what 23-24 year old Brendl...what does that say about him, major flop written all over him. It's one thing to have all the talent and tools to be a high skilled player, but one needs the heart and desire to go out and play with those skills, he doesn't.

Gainey and 28 other teams other than Carolina would probably pass him over other than to have him play in your farm system to add depth like a Benoit Gratton.

coconut 10-05-2003 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
:lol:

Brendl is a flop as well as Chouinard is going to be!

The rangers, the Flyers and the canes are probably all missing the boat about Brendl and probably don't realize the chance they have to have the next Mario Lemieux in their system! :lol:

Russianfan Russianfan... How to be more wrong! :rolleyes:

You know, the problem I have with you is not your opinions, but the arrogance that you need to add to every message you write...

Marmax 10-05-2003 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
:lol:

Brendl is a flop as well as Chouinard is going to be!

The rangers, the Flyers and the canes are probably all missing the boat about Brendl and probably don't realize the chance they have to have the next Mario Lemieux in their system! :lol:

Russianfan Russianfan... How to be more wrong! :rolleyes:

Man, every time I read your post I say to myself: That guy can't fell any lower than his now, how can he be dumber? But everytime, your prove me wrong by being dumber than the last time. I hope that you will reach a critical dumber mass soon and can't go anyfurther.

Stupidity, arrogance, lack of knowledge are a dangerous mix

Marmax 10-05-2003 08:07 AM

Quote:

Maybe

Brendl - Koivu - Ward

Unbiased Canadian

I like the idea to give a chance to a player who seems to be a bust but
who is still not hopeless. Usually, risks are low because these type of players usually come with a cheap price tag and if they pan out the reward is really great. If I remember well, Canucks got Naslund for a song and we all know how important he is for his team today.

Gwi 10-05-2003 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmax
Man, every time I read your post I say to myself: That guy can't fell any lower than his now, how can he be dumber? But everytime, your prove me wrong by being dumber than the last time. I hope that you will reach a critical dumber mass soon and can't go anyfurther.

Stupidity, arrogance, lack of knowledge are a dangerous mix

I don' think he broke any rules or anything, so the mods don't have a good reason to kick him out.

Still.... can't we vote that clown off the island?

Histrion 10-05-2003 08:23 AM

I'd be willing to give Brendl a chance as long as it doesn't cost us anything too valuable. I think he might breakout someday if he want to..

Nielson81 10-05-2003 08:25 AM

Hmm looks like a move to get Brendl may be well supported by the board, go get him Bobster!!

Unbiased Canadian

didjuicythat 10-05-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Hmm looks like a move to get Brendl may be well supported by the board, go get him Bobster!!

Unbiased Canadian

At what price, then? This is one of the few things we need to consider. His value may be low at the moment, but still, I don't believe Carolina's would be willing to take our old veteran crap for Brendl. They'd probably ask for prospects, which we probably don't want to trade. Unless Gainey feels he's due for a breakout year, and noticed something special in him, I don't see why we would give up young guns for a guy that's close to being a bust.

Supposing we get him for not much, what role is he going to play? Before we get Begin and Langdon from the waiver draft, we were already packed on offense. Now don't tell me we'd get another forward without giving any other in return? It's a total non-sense to me... unless, as I said, Carolina wants to deal Pavel for our dead weight.

Munchausen 10-05-2003 09:05 AM

I don't want this *TYPE* of player on my team. Period. Not because he didn't produce, but because he doesn't care (on the ice). Did some of you who are all up for it actually watched him play? This guy is a soft floater that NEVER goes in the corners and takes 2/3 shifts off.

He has incredible hands... Woohoo. So does Daigle. But this is not the kind of player you find on contenders. Unless he decides all of the sudden to make a 180 and start working, being involved and actually caring for his job, he will probably never be a good player. He might end up scoring 30, but that won't make a *GOOD* player out of him, because you don't know when he's going to take the night off, he does not contribute defensively, he does not contribute physically, he brings nothing else.

Hey people, I brought the Czerkawski comparison for a reason. 21 goals in 98-99, but -10. 35 (!) goals in 99-00, but -16. 30 goals in 00-01, but -24. 22 goals in 01-02, but -8. Don't you see a trend here. The more the production, the less "effective" he becomes. Does not play defense and concentrate on a run and gun style. How can it be good (especially for us) if his line scores 2 every night but costs 3?.

There's a reason why this proven 30 goal scorer (the polish prince) could be had for peanuts... Everybody wanted to get rid of Czerkawski a couple of months ago yet now we should bring in Brendl (to replace him???). NO MORE HEARTLESS SOFTIES PLEASE! I'm sorry but "good hands" and "raw talent" are not the only things to consider here. The bad of Brendl EASILY overshadows the good.

Orange 10-05-2003 09:17 AM

Add me too the list of people that DOESN'T what to see Brendl a Hab (with a vengeance). I much agree with Munchausen on the matter. Besides, Brendl is a gamble, much more than Chow was. We don't have the supporting cast to take such a risk. We have enough liabilities as it is and we are still trying to get rid of them. It sure as hell not a good idea to start adding liabilities once again ...

tinyzombies 10-05-2003 09:36 AM

If we get him cheap, I'm all for it, unless the rumors abaout his character are true. But there have been conflicting rumors, the Flyers said he worked hard in camp and that he showed up in great shape. Since then he has battled injuries. This year, I don't know what his excuse is...

You guys think, 'he's 22 or 23, it's too late', but you seem to forget that that is still very young. He's still a kid. Some people bloom late.

Nielson81 10-05-2003 09:43 AM

I just dont' think it would be a bad idea for a team that CANNOT score goals to go out and get a pure goal scorer, even if it is a risk, he is cheap contract wise and probabyl wouldn't cost that much to get.

His coaches in Junior realised that he is a pure offensive player and let him play his game, everyone in the NHL has tried to make him be a player he isn't, if we in Montreal give him a stick and say go scores goals kid your linemmates will worry about the defense, he will score 30 goals without breaking a sweat, 40 if he feels like playing.

Unbiased Canadian

Munchausen 10-05-2003 09:48 AM

Quote:

His coaches in Junior realised that he is a pure offensive player and let him play his game, everyone in the NHL has tried to make him be a player he isn't, if we in Montreal give him a stick and say go scores goals kid your linemmates will worry about the defense, he will score 30 goals without breaking a sweat, 40 if he feels like playing.

Unbiased Canadian

Who cares really? Do you think Julien would say "here, take your stick and go score some goals for us, don't worry about the rest". Every player in this league has at some point learned to play within a system, and in Montreal it's a defensive one. Zednik has to live with it, so does Audette. Why would you think we would unroll the red carpet for this unproven lazy prospect?

tinyzombies 10-05-2003 09:58 AM

We're not talking about the red carpet. If we can get him for a 2nd rounder and a middling prospect, stick him in Hamilton and let him play with Higgins and let Jarvis work on his brain, you never know. Kostitsyn is still 3-5 years away and we have no other goalscorers!

It's just a guess on my part. We have one of the best hockey evaluating groups in the league and you know that they've talked about Brendl. You never know...

Habber 10-05-2003 12:39 PM

We also have to think about the lockerroom reaction of bringing in a guy like this and just sticking him on the 1st line. Then we'll have Zed and Bulis and Hossa going wtf, I'm working my ass off and playing in the system and then Brendl comes in, doesn't work hard, plays lazy, is exempt from backchecking and steals my spot?

CJ is instilling a defence-first system this year where we play a sound team game with everyone having defensive responsibilites and working hard. This can't work if you have a guy who doesn't have to do these things.