HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Legal Contact or Body Check? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1706465)

Tacks92 07-09-2014 01:24 PM

Legal Contact or Body Check?

The other day I was playing d and this guy broke into our zone right down the middle. I tried to angle him to the boards but he just kept head faking and coming in dead on, so at the top of the circles I stopped and leaned into him a bit, but never left my lane and didn't explode through him like you would if you were checking. The guy went down (he was fine though) and we ended up with a breakaway the other way and scored. My question is, was that a legal play on my end or did the refs miss something? I was pretty sure I was going to get called after he went down but the ref said it was a clean play. I grew up playing hockey w/ checking, but just started playing in a no-check league for the first time, so I'm a little fuzzy on the contact rules. Any help here would be appreciated! Thanks.

MattGTI 07-09-2014 02:19 PM

It really depends on the league. Some no-check leagues you are to avoid almost any contact with an opponent. Others, they let small stuff go, and you can bump a bit(I find this to be the most common).

Its kind of a gray area. There are other variables beyond the scope of the leagues official rules. Referees have different ideas of whats ok and what isn't.

Perhaps your captain(or even you) could find out whats ok and whats not going forward. Your bound to see some of the same refs throughout a season, and you can get a feel for what is ok and what isn't. If it wasn't whistled down last night, it was fine. However, thats not to say it won't be called next game.

As a fellow d-man, I angle guys, and just try and take away their space along the boards.. If they go outside, I usually can get position quickly enough where they can't explode by me, or get off a decent shot or pass(this is low level hockey btw).

tarheelhockey 07-09-2014 03:05 PM

It all depends what you mean by "leaned into him a bit".

If you literally just stopped and braced yourself against contact, it's totally legal. You own the ice you're standing on, and it's not a penalty to be run into by an opponent.

If you leaned into him by lowering your shoulder or extending your arms, or generally delivering the contact to him, then it's possible that a ref could interpret that as a check in a no-contact league. Still, it's a really questionable call if he's running directly into you like that.

The basic principle is, just maintain your lane and don't try to extend or step into the opponent. You don't have to get out of their way to let them go by.

Pacifist Goon 07-09-2014 04:12 PM

It might be called non-checking, but the reality is there's no such thing as absolute non-contact or no-checking, rather it's minimal.

I like a little bit of rough and tumble and count on the refs to use their discretion about the appropriateness of any contact. I reckon they get it right most of the time too or at least don't take themselves too seriously.

If someone comes straight down the middle or down the boards and thinks no one is going to play the body a little bit then they are dreamers. They deserve to get sent a message and tagged a little bit, which is completely different from blind siding or looking to clean someone out.

It's still hockey and good refs should call what they have to or should, not what they can.

Tacks92 07-10-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 87860567)
If you leaned into him by lowering your shoulder or extending your arms, or generally delivering the contact to him, then it's possible that a ref could interpret that as a check in a no-contact league. Still, it's a really questionable call if he's running directly into you like that.

Eh, I may have dropped the shoulder just a touch (old habits!), but i definitely didn't step forward or extend the arms.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think it's probably one of those plays that's legal, but close to the boarder and only happens (at least for me) when the o guy doesn't make a move left or right. If that happened, I'd just angle him off and get my stick on his, etc.

Wilch 07-10-2014 09:14 PM

They usually let this stuff go.

Most leagues I played in allow contact like this as long as you're not blatantly looking to check opposing players by running into them, exploding through a hit, or doing hip checks.

If you get called for it once in a while, it's fine. If you're getting called for it consistently, you might want to tone it down.

jazzykat 07-11-2014 03:36 AM

imo, in this case, stand your ground is a valid defense. no one should expect you to get out of the way of the puck carrier while you could be legitimately playing the puck.

tarheelhockey 07-11-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacks92 (Post 87901333)
Eh, I may have dropped the shoulder just a touch (old habits!), but i definitely didn't step forward or extend the arms.

Obv I didn't see it happen so this is speculation, but you probably had a ref who's so used to calling a non-checking game that he's not used to seeing legal body contact. I've seen it happen before where a relatively inexperienced ref has a quick whistle against guys who aren't actually checking anyone, but follow through on a collision like you're taught to do.

There's really not a lot you can do about it, other than chalk it up to being in a lower league and maybe talk to the ref after the game if he's hanging around.

jsykes 07-11-2014 09:21 AM

In our league you need to be attempting to play the puck and they will let some contact go.

However, if you literally just stood up, braced yourself and played the body with no effort to play the puck, its likely you'd be called for checking.

Mattb124 07-13-2014 01:37 PM

Typically, if you just brace yourself and do not move out of your lane to initiate contact you are OK. I have had a couple of spectacular "hits" when players came screaming in with their heads down and tried (intentionally or otherwise) to skate through me.

Cosmic 07-14-2014 07:35 PM

Eh it's fine ...

0:21, 0:34, 0:40 no call on any if them ...

http://youtu.be/f_LnGHgDTxg

nwharris74 07-14-2014 10:34 PM

I've had that happen to me a few times...I think by the same guy ironically. I had my head down and the d-man playing me stopped and leaned in a bit...down I go. There was no penalty called nor I didn't see anything wrong with it. If I had been looking up I could have maybe avoided it. If you had stepped into it, perhaps more questionable.

Trl3789 07-15-2014 12:21 AM

Honestly the biggest thing i've found is that there's a fine line between expressing that something was an accident, and pissing someone off.

I'm a pretty big guy so theres been a few times where people have turned sharply into me and gone down pretty hard. I usually just quickly ask if they're alright (while continuing to skate), but i've found a few guys get more upset when i ask than if i just skate away.

Wilch 07-15-2014 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trl3789 (Post 88051817)
Honestly the biggest thing i've found is that there's a fine line between expressing that something was an accident, and pissing someone off.

I'm a pretty big guy so theres been a few times where people have turned sharply into me and gone down pretty hard. I usually just quickly ask if they're alright (while continuing to skate), but i've found a few guys get more upset when i ask than if i just skate away.

Yeah, it's just the weirdest **** in the world.

I guess people take it as some kind of an insult when you check on their well-being. However, it seems like people in Asia do appreciate it when you say it to them. The Canadians/Americans... Not so much.

Not that I'm a big guy, but when accidents do happen nowadays, I just give the other guy a nod. That usually sends the message.

Cosmic 07-15-2014 03:53 AM

Yea if a guy is coming at you head on, what else are you gonna do? Flop and try to draw the charge like a basketball layer? I hope not.

So yea those on my video were accidental- one guy threw himself into me, another turned into me, away from the play (which was odd so it caught me by surprise), and the third guy, ok that wasn't accidental- that guy seemed to want to molest me (see his out reached hand as he sprints at me) so I wasn't gonna let that happen.

Trl3789 07-15-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilch (Post 88053103)
Yeah, it's just the weirdest **** in the world.

I guess people take it as some kind of an insult when you check on their well-being. However, it seems like people in Asia do appreciate it when you say it to them. The Canadians/Americans... Not so much.

Not that I'm a big guy, but when accidents do happen nowadays, I just give the other guy a nod. That usually sends the message.

I think that most of the time when they get upset, its because they think I did it with intent and am just checking on them to make it seem like it was accidental (or to avoid retaliation). Realistically though i play beginner level hockey, and while i can skate pretty well, there are definitely times where i run into people because neither of us are skilled enough to get out of the way.

Tacks92 07-15-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic (Post 88054903)
Yea if a guy is coming at you head on, what else are you gonna do? Flop and try to draw the charge like a basketball layer? I hope not.

Haha. Exactly!

rh71 07-21-2014 09:01 PM

You can play the body but you usually can't check someone down. So if you make it look innocent enough (knock him off the puck but not knock him into next week) and he just falls as a result, that's fine.