HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Goaltender Influx on the market (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17129)

Kevin Forbes 10-05-2003 09:27 AM

Goaltender Influx on the market

There is another surge in the available goaltenders going into this season. No less then 3 teams have 3 goaltenders who are capable of playing a regular role on a team in either starting or backup duty. Who do you think will go where?
Atlanta : Dafoe, Hurme, Nurminen,
Phoneix : Burke, Boucher, Bierk
San Jose : Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Toskala
Also if Pittsburgh can sign Marc-Andre Fleury, then that would mean Caron or Aubin could hit the market as well.

The odd man out in all of these teams would be required to clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors.

And then there's also Cujo.....

barrytrotzsneck 10-05-2003 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
There is another surge in the available goaltenders going into this season. No less then 3 teams have 3 goaltenders who are capable of playing a regular role on a team in either starting or backup duty. Who do you think will go where?
Also if Pittsburgh can sign Marc-Andre Fleury, then that would mean Caron or Aubin could hit the market as well.

The odd man out in all of these teams would be required to clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors.

add jan lasak to that list. it's sad to see, but the preds have no choice but to give up on him. he's not ready this year, and the preds can't have vokoun playing 75+ games this year, and chris mason is more reliable(played a terrific game vs the blues last night, in his first appearance since rejoining the Preds) Lasak would have to clear waivers to be sent down, but Poile has made it clear that he'll either be traded or released, as they've commited to giving Brian Finley the starting job in Milwaukee.

Douggy 10-05-2003 11:26 AM

Some Leaf fans think Telqvist could play a decent back-up role behind Belfour, meaning Trevor Kidd would be expendable.

Personally, I'd rather see Telqvist as the Starter in St. Johns until Belfour retires.

#37-#93-#27* 10-05-2003 11:28 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the Coyotes are still asking for Jackman and a first in return for Burke.

LightningFast 10-05-2003 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I wonder if the Coyotes are still asking for Jackman and a first in return for Burke.

Take the penguins out of the list even if they sign Marc André Fleury. Aubin ain't NHL quality .

I say Nurminen is dealt by Atlanta ...

Kevin Forbes 10-05-2003 12:01 PM

If Fleury isn't signed, Aubin will at least be pretending to be NHL quality, Caron can't do it alone
And if Fleury is signed, then the Penguins would obviously be looking to off-load Aubin's 800-oddK contract and wherever they send him, that team will no doubt try to make him at least semi-useful
Besides, Aubin's stats were solid, albeit unspectacular last season

ModestoFan 10-05-2003 12:27 PM

San jose is in an odd predicament, as we may very well keep 3 tnders on roster for the beginning of the season. Kipp, didn't play well enough to regain his back-up status, and Toskala's play was to good to ignore.

Look for Mikka to get moved as he is still an upgrade to a number of back-ups around the league.

thestonedkoala 10-05-2003 02:17 PM

Minnesota has three: Dwayne Roloson, Manny Fernandez, Johan Holmqvist, watch for one of them to be moved.

Kevin Forbes 10-06-2003 02:45 AM

As does Buffalo : Biron, Noronen and Miller

Ajacied 10-06-2003 02:50 AM

Tugnutt is available..

Safir* 10-06-2003 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningFast

Are you crazy? I'll say that Nurminen will be the Thrashers starting goaltender this year, playing 50-65% of there games.

IMO It's more likely that Hurme will be packaged with a higher draft pick (2nd or 3rd) and maybe a top-6 forward.

Clash* 10-06-2003 12:40 PM

Quote:

As does Buffalo : Biron, Noronen and Miller

Miller can go to Rochester without waivers and Buffalo wants to give him playing time. they may expose Noronen to waivers, but Miller is probably destines back down the road until Biron or Noronen are gone

And, I'd be pleasantly happy if the Panthers grabbed one of Noronen, Kipprusoff, or Toskala to replace Shields as a back-up, as Shields was pretty much zcquired for nothing, and we're payin half his salary.

GKJ 10-07-2003 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningFast
Take the penguins out of the list even if they sign Marc André Fleury. Aubin ain't NHL quality .

I think they find a way to get rid of Dafoe first. Nurminen was clearly better last season, and would be a calming influence for Kari Lehtonen if he was to get playing time, since they are of the same culture.

the future 10-07-2003 01:12 PM

look for d. sutter to jump all over one of goalies. my prediction is before the week is out. mclennan will be bought out and we can tuck this baby in it's crib for the season. noronen,hurme,kiprusoff should be high on sutters list

discostu 10-07-2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

From the sound of it, it looks like there's more than 60 goalies on one-way contracts in the NHL right now, plus the odd goalie that teams are going to keep up despite a two-way deal (i.e. MA Fleury). I guess we'll start seeing some goalies either being bought out, or be getting NHL contracts while playing in the AHL.

After all the shuffling around takes place, what goalies does everyone see getting demoted across the league. McLennan has already been mentioned. Who are the other likely candidates?

Vatican Roulette 10-07-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

1st, i dont think it would be that big of a deal if Pittsburgh lost Aubin. He has been worse and worse every year. Also, i dont think there would be much interest in the guy.

Toronto has Kidd who should be available as well. Tellqvist has looked excellent for toronto in the games i've seen him in.