HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Contract year for Niedermayer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17173)

Tao Jones 10-05-2003 11:34 AM

Contract year for Niedermayer

Anyone else think Neids didn't look like someone who just won his 3rd Cup when he was sitting between Dano and Marty's cigar during the post-game 7 interview? I realize he felt bad for Rob and that he is the quiet type, so maybe I am reading more into this then I should. But do you think he may feel he has nothing more to accomplish in NJ? With his contract negotiations approaching following this year, he may take an offer better than Lou is willing or able to give him. A chance to play with his brother may be enticing.

If there is a full-year stoppage(doubtful) and this is Stevens' last year, we can probably afford to hold on to both Neids and Elias. If the CBA is resolved for even a shortened, if not complete season(likely), keeping all three may not be realistic, especially if a salary cap is implemented, although hopefully grandfathered.

Should Lou make another play for Rob(anyone know his contract status)? Does Elias get moved to free up salary to keep Niedermayer in NJ? Say, for example, maybe Elias for Rob and Chistov plus pick/s(create your own package)? Does Lou get something in return for Scott N. at the deadline, if God forbid, we pull a '96 or a Carolina, rather than letting him walk away for nothing? Say Scott N. to Anaheim for Rucchin and a top-4 D(again create your own deal here)? :dunno:

Thoughts?

P.S. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Unthinkable 10-05-2003 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tao Jones
Anyone else think Neids didn't look like someone who just won his 3rd Cup when he was sitting between Dano and Marty's cigar during the post-game 7 interview? I realize he felt bad for Rob and that he is the quiet type, so maybe I am reading more into this then I should. But do you think he may feel he has nothing more to accomplish in NJ? With his contract negotiations approaching following this year, he may take an offer better than Lou is willing or able to give him. A chance to play with his brother may be enticing.

I don't think he's ready to high tail it ouf here. He has his coach and teammates all proactively calling attention to the fact that he was snubbed big time in the Norris voting last season. Today's Bergen Record had a great article on how few votes he received from hockey writers and how the award has become more of a who scores the most points as a defenseman type of yearly decision instead of a who is the best overall defenseman. I could easily see him wanting to play with his brother though as he's pretty tight to his family by all media accounts. Chances are probably better that Rob would be brought in to NJ (and why not after the fantastic Stanley Cup showing he had for his team) then Scott wanting to leave this team in my mind. We lose Nieds here and its roughly the equivalent of putting a gun to our heads in all seriousness. He's that important to the team same as Stevens and Brodeur.

Quote:

Should Lou make another play for Rob(anyone know his contract status)? Does Elias get moved to free up salary to keep Niedermayer in NJ? Say, for example, maybe Elias for Rob and Chistov plus pick/s(create your own package)? Does Lou get something in return for Scott N. at the deadline, if God forbid, we pull a '96 or a Carolina, rather than letting him walk away for nothing? Say Scott N. to Anaheim for Rucchin and a top-4 D(again create your own deal here)? :dunno:

Thoughts?

P.S. Please don't shoot the messenger.
My own personal time table for moving Patrik Elias is 3 months. See how close he is to being the point a game player he says he'll be this year and hold out all hope that he can find some consistent chemistry with more linemates here then Jiri Bicek for a few games. Come Christmas morning and the days afterwards, if things are longer no more promising for him then last year, I pledge we wheel him for a prototypical Devils scoring winger to take his place in the roster. Without the four goal game that Patrik netted late in the season against the Isles his numbers would have looked even more reflective of how they truly were. Chistov is intriguing but I don't know if the Ducks would want to part with him so soon. If Nieds has to go we need to find someone who can replace his offense just as much as his ability to be a gamebreaker all around exceptional defenseman. Tough guy to replace by all means.

Tao Jones 10-05-2003 02:17 PM

I guess I am responding to Stevens saying it would be tough if Nieds left. If Nieds does win the Norris or even has high voting placement this year, he will have even that much more leverage. I agree that he is as important to the team as the Captain and Marty are. Another factor is Madden is entering his contract year this year also, boasting a '02 Selke trophy, a '03 Selke finalist selection, and a shot at another this year for leverage.

My intention is not to cause alarm here. I am just speculating on realistic options for Lou. I realize most of the team and fans do not even want to consider the possibility of losing Nieds, as the article states, but I don't think Lou is the type of GM to bury his head in the sand like an ostrich with his a$$ sticking out in the cool, frosty air.

As far as the Norris goes, I like the idea of rewording the terms to: Best Offensive Defenseman based on point production. When Stevens retires, name an award after him for simply: Best Defenseman. Since it is unlikely that he will win the Norris at this stage in his career, he would be remembered every year when the trophy is mentioned. Scott Neidermayer would be the first recipient of the Stevens trophy.

I also agree that Christmas is decision time for keeping or moving Elias and/or Gomez.

I would give Rasmussen and Rupp until late November to show consistency before moving them(to Albany in Rupp's case). If Guolla does not recover from his back surgery, and Darby is not ready, sign Rheaume if he is still available before the playoff elegibility deadline on Dec.1.

meehan 10-05-2003 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tao Jones
I guess I am responding to Stevens saying it would be tough if Nieds left. If Nieds does win the Norris or even has high voting placement this year, he will have even that much more leverage. I agree that he is as important to the team as the Captain and Marty are. Another factor is Madden is entering his contract year this year also, boasting a '02 Selke trophy, a '03 Selke finalist selection, and a shot at another this year for leverage.

My intention is not to cause alarm here. I am just speculating on realistic options for Lou. I realize most of the team and fans do not even want to consider the possibility of losing Nieds, as the article states, but I don't think Lou is the type of GM to bury his head in the sand like an ostrich with his a$$ sticking out in the cool, frosty air.

As far as the Norris goes, I like the idea of rewording the terms to: Best Offensive Defenseman based on point production. When Stevens retires, name an award after him for simply: Best Defenseman. Since it is unlikely that he will win the Norris at this stage in his career, he would be remembered every year when the trophy is mentioned. Scott Neidermayer would be the first recipient of the Stevens trophy.

I also agree that Christmas is decision time for keeping or moving Elias and/or Gomez.

I would give Rasmussen and Rupp until late November to show consistency before moving them(to Albany in Rupp's case). If Guolla does not recover from his back surgery, and Darby is not ready, sign Rheaume if he is still available before the playoff elegibility deadline on Dec.1.

Firstoff, let's forget about the Norris or Selke for Niedermayer and Madden as the great hockey writers have probably already rewarded those to Lidstrom and Lehtinen. Secondly, if there is hockey next year, being that Niedermayer is a core guy I think Lou will try hard to work something out just like he got something done with our other core guys(Brodeur, Stevens). Madden might get the shaft(sorta like Holik did) but since there won't be as much a market for Madden I think Lou will get him signed as well. If not, the checking line center was replaced before, it can be done again.

brooklyndev 10-06-2003 08:05 AM

Sign Nieds Now!....

Lou should not wait until the season is over. Niedermayer should be treated as the Captain and Marty were.

For the Devils to stay a top team, we just can't lose this guy, especially, with the possible retirement of Stevens! In my opinion, he's one of the top 3 defensemen in the league!

WHITE

meehan 10-06-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyndev
Lou should not wait until the season is over. Niedermayer should be treated as the Captain and Marty were.

For the Devils to stay a top team, we just can't lose this guy, especially, with the possible retirement of Stevens! In my opinion, he's one of the top 3 defensemen in the league!

WHITE

In previous years, maybe Lou would have gotten a deal done in season. And who knows, maybe Lou has the balls to still do one in season this year. However, with the CBA expiring and the landscape of the nhl changing GM's are reluctant to hand out multi-year deals.