HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Kapanen out for 10 weeks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=171796)

Dr Love 09-15-2005 01:56 PM

Kapanen out for 10 weeks

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/12654344.htm

Quote:

Right wing Sami Kapanen will undergo surgery Tuesday at Pennsylvania Hospital to repairs torn cartilage in his right shoulder and will be lost for at least 10 weeks. Kapanen said he isn't sure, but he thinks he injured the shoulder nearly a month ago during a player scrimmage on his own when he fell to the ice.
And the snowball continues to roll...

CharlieGirl 09-15-2005 01:59 PM

Enough already!!

While I'd much rather see injuries coming at the beginning of the season than right before playoffs, I hope this isn't a trend that we're going to see all year....

MojoJojo 09-15-2005 02:02 PM

Crap, we're like the new LA Kings and the season hasnt even opened yet!

GKJ 09-15-2005 02:11 PM

better they get hurt now and not in April.

Sum1winachampionship 09-15-2005 02:17 PM

Does Umberger now have a spot?

GKJ 09-15-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum1winachampionship
Does Umberger now have a spot?

Depends what happens in game action. He'll definetaly get a shot, and Richards should now move up.

Art Vandelay 09-15-2005 02:23 PM

The good thing is that we get to make new lineups ;)

Gagne - Handzus - Carter
Sim - Richards - Umberger
Knuble - Primeau - Radivojevic
Brashear - Sharp - Stevenson

:dunno:

Dr Love 09-15-2005 02:27 PM

I can't see Hitch putting three rookies on one line. I'd flip Umberger with Sharp, Stevenson, or Radio. Probably Sim and Knuble if you got Sharp or Stevenson over Umberger.

GKJ 09-15-2005 02:29 PM

Well Forsberg will be back to start the season. Hitchcock will probably give guys like Riley Cote an extra look as well.

Art Vandelay 09-15-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love

I can't see Hitch putting three rookies on one line. I'd flip Umberger with Sharp, Stevenson, or Radio. Probably Sim and Knuble if you got Sharp or Stevenson over Umberger.

Sim isn't exactly a rookie, i read that Umberger and Sim had shown good chemistry together so i thought why not go with it, and i dont think they would get 2nd line icetime, Primeau's and Handzus lines would take the bulk of it.

Nikkowar 09-15-2005 02:41 PM

oh damn. Fantasy hockey editing time!

Brad* 09-15-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion of the North
Sim isn't exactly a rookie, i read that Umberger and Sim had shown good chemistry together so i thought why not go with it, and i dont think they would get 2nd line icetime, Primeau's and Handzus lines would take the bulk of it.

No, Sim isn't a rookie, he has about 160 games of NHL experience. Sim and Umberger did have good chemistry on the Phantoms too, but I don't know if Hitch would want both together like that. Your lines are without Forsberg, but he should be back for the start of the season from what I've heard. If he is, one of those players probably won't be needed.

Too bad about Kapanen, he's a solid player who fills a big role. 10 weeks is a good chunk of the season, too, since we're under three weeks until the season starts. So someone (hopefully Umberger) will get a big shot with the club to show what they've got.

Steve L* 09-15-2005 03:28 PM

Look on the plus side, theres now an extra million that can go to an UFA at the deadline. We might be able to afford 2 big UFAs now but with $2.5m cap space now then that means we can take about $10m on in pro rata salary at the deadline.

Brad* 09-15-2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Look on the plus side, theres now an extra million that can go to an UFA at the deadline. We might be able to afford 2 big UFAs now but with $2.5m cap space now then that means we can take about $10m on in pro rata salary at the deadline.

He's not out for the season, he's only out 10 weeks.

Dr Love 09-15-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Sim isn't exactly a rookie

Right you are, I had a brain fart. Makes it a little better. Still, I can't see Hitch putting two rookies out there together. At least, nothing in his history shows me otherwise.

Steve L* 09-15-2005 03:38 PM

I know, but the money saved in those 10 weeks is equal to the money the Flyers are allowed to spend on an UFA for the last 10 weeks (or so).

A $4m pending UFA will only count about $1m towards the cap if aquired at the deadline.

Roger's Pancreas* 09-15-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
I know, but the money saved in those 10 weeks is equal to the money the Flyers are allowed to spend on an UFA for the last 10 weeks (or so).

A $4m pending UFA will only count about $1m towards the cap if aquired at the deadline.

That's if you believe Clarke doesn't go out now and try to find a player that will fill in Sami's role.

I see a trade in the coming future, but only if Clarke/Hitch don't believe that Umberger is ready.

Jester 09-15-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
That's if you believe Clarke doesn't go out now and try to find a player that will fill in Sami's role.

I see a trade in the coming future, but only if Clarke/Hitch don't believe that Umberger is ready.

here's to hoping Umberger shows the ability to play on the wing some... i'd much rather not trade away anything right now and just ride what we got until Kapanen is back.

Roger's Pancreas* 09-15-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
here's to hoping Umberger shows the ability to play on the wing some... i'd much rather not trade away anything right now and just ride what we got until Kapanen is back.

I'm not thrilled about the possibility that Umberger may have to be brought up already. He was the last call up that was available because behind him is Eager/Cote/Gratton and that's a pretty unspectacular bunch IMO.

I think you're right though, if the Flyers bring in someone new already the chemistry issues are going to be even more complicated.

Chilly Willy* 09-15-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

The good thing is that we get to make new lineups ;)

Gagne - Handzus - Carter
Knuble - Primeau - Radivojevic
Brashear - Sharp - Stevenson

:dunno:

You have lines 2 and 3 mixed up.

swflyers8* 09-15-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy
You have lines 2 and 3 mixed up.

Doesn't matter what we number our lines, they all produce in some way or another..

Flyman 09-15-2005 04:40 PM

What the *******!! I'm pretty pissed off! It's a shame that such an injury happens to Sami! He really was the last guy who "deserved" it...

And Savage, I'm not convinced at all...

swflyers8* 09-15-2005 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
What the *******!! I'm pretty pissed off! It's a shame that such an injury happens to Sami! He really was the last guy who "deserved" it...

And Savage, I'm not convinced at all...

He had 16 goals and 16 assists in 03-04.
Sami -- 12g and 18a.

I think he will do alright as a sub for now.

This injury will give our young guys a chance to really prove themselves to Hitch. Savage is just insurance and since he is known for scoring a lot in October and all, works out for us.

Flyers26 09-15-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizzapieflyphillifan
oh damn. Fantasy hockey editing time!

Pizza, where you at training camp this past Wed?

NotJT 09-16-2005 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Crap, we're like the new LA Kings and the season hasnt even opened yet!

The curse of Cechmanek strikes again.

What is the curse of Cechmanek? It is kind of like the curse of the bambino but with a bigger five hole.