HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers sign Brian Savage. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=171834)

Roger's Pancreas* 09-15-2005 04:07 PM

Flyers sign Brian Savage.

There it is

"We felt that he has been a really good goal scorer in the National Hockey League, has good speed and is a skilled hockey player,” said Clarke in making the announcement. “Losing (Sami) Kapanen (due to injury) for at least two months leaves us shallow at forward, so we thought that getting a player like Savage would really help our team.”

Clarke doesn't miss a beat does he?

Dr Love 09-15-2005 04:10 PM

ARGH. Savage stinks. Waste of roster/cap space. He always plays great in October, then becomes useless.

Brad* 09-15-2005 04:13 PM

Well that's lame. I would have rather moved Umberger up and shuffled some lines around.

GKJ 09-15-2005 04:15 PM

Brian Savage sucks

Brad* 09-15-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
ARGH. Savage stinks. Waste of roster/cap space. He always plays great in October, then becomes useless.

You know what, I don't think it is a waste of cap space. I believe Savage will fit in to the replacement player thingy that the NHL has now.

Though, it will start to count if Savage is still here when Kapanen comes back.

Chilly Willy* 09-15-2005 04:19 PM

Where does that put Philly in terms of total team salary?

there are a lot of "undisclosed" players on tsn, so is there an actual solid figure yet or no?

Dr Love 09-15-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
You know what, I don't think it is a waste of cap space. I believe Savage will fit in to the replacement player thingy that the NHL has now.

He won't, but...

Quote:

Though, it will start to count if Savage is still here when Kapanen comes back.
When Kapanen comes back, it puts a little bit of a handicap on aquiring someone down the line.

Brad* 09-15-2005 04:25 PM

Quote:

When Kapanen comes back, it puts a little bit of a handicap on aquiring someone down the line.

Bah, it does. Somebody else gets dealt before then anyway, in all likelihood.

GKJ 09-15-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

He won't, but...

We could always hope he gets vertigo and the Flyers convince him to retire a la Jeff Hackett

Art Vandelay 09-15-2005 04:29 PM

Savage was probably/hopefully signed for the league min or close to it, so his cap hit will be around 500'000, promoting Umberger costs the Flyers almost 1 million..

Brad* 09-15-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
We could always hope he gets vertigo and the Flyers convince him to retire a la Jeff Hackett

Maybe he'll have an "accident."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion of the North
Savage was probably/hopefully signed for the league min or close to it, so his cap hit will be around 500'000, promoting Umberger costs the Flyers almost 1 million..

Those frugal ********...

But yeah, if he did sign for around $500,000, that won't hamper the team too much.

Art Vandelay 09-15-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Those frugal ********...

But yeah, if he did sign for around $500,000, that won't hamper the team too much.

I figure Kapanen should "miss" 2-3 paychecks for a total of about 300 - 450k not counted against the cap, that will probably pay for almost all of Savage's cap hit.

Gags1288 09-15-2005 04:42 PM

Relax, relax, relax.

Let's think about the circumstances of this signing. I think it's pretty clear that Brian has been brought in as simply an insurance policy if the team does not feel Umberger is ready. If Umberger continues his stellar play in camp, then Savage will be competing with Sim as the current 13th forward. Once Kapanen returns, Umberger and Savage will likely slide back to the AHL and Sim will be the 13th forward.

Without Kapanen
Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Richards-Stevenson
Radio-Primeau-Sharp
Brashear-Handzus-Umberger/Savage/Sim

Extras: Savage, Sim

With Kapanen
Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Richards-Sharp
Kapanen-Primeau-Radio
Brashear-Handzus-Stevenson

Extras: Sim, Savage
Callup: Umberger

Umberger, as the replacement forward for Kapanen, will not count against the cap. Once Kapanen comes back, the flyers will be forced to send Umberger or another player down.

Sedsey 09-15-2005 04:43 PM

Quote:

Those frugal ********...

What I thought of right away is that the team must feel that a guy like Ruzicka is not a serious contender for a spot. Yes, I know Savage is a LW and Stefan a RW, but those postions are academic on a team that is already moving a couple natural centers to the wings.

We have to look at this for what it is. I don't think there will be many Savage fans showing up, but it is a short term fix at what must be a reasonable rate for a player that can put together a month long scoring run before he disappears. Anything else is a bonus.

If he can do it early, that also will lift some pressures off the rookies as they adjust to their NHL roles.

I wonder, though...

I am a strong believer in the skills of Carter. Would Savage benefit from playing with him, concentrating on being open to take shots? With Jeff's ability and willingness to fire the puck, there should be garbage goals available as well for anybody that can plow the crease. Savage should be able to benefit from that. I envisioned Knuble doing so after the Forsberg news, but I read Mike is with Mike.

I don't like it that much, but to pick up a player that might help at such short notice, with what is available on the market, it isn't the worst news.

NO MORE INJURIES! It played a big role in our loss to TB, and it is getting to be a tired story now.

Art Vandelay 09-15-2005 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288
If Umberger continues his stellar play in camp, then Savage will be competing with Sim as the current 13th forward. Once Kapanen returns, Umberger and Savage will likely slide back to the AHL and Sim will be the 13th forward.

Umberger, as the replacement forward for Kapanen, will not count against the cap. Once Kapanen comes back, the flyers will be forced to send Umberger or another player down.

As Umberger makes about 900k in the NHL can the Flyers send him down without him passing through waivers ?

Sedsey 09-15-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Relax, relax, relax.

Let's think about the circumstances of this signing. I think it's pretty clear that Brian has been brought in as simply an insurance policy if the team does not feel Umberger is ready. If Umberger continues his stellar play in camp, then Savage will be competing with Sim as the current 13th forward. Once Kapanen returns, Umberger and Savage will likely slide back to the AHL and Sim will be the 13th forward.

Without Kapanen
Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Richards-Stevenson
Radio-Primeau-Sharp
Brashear-Handzus-Umberger/Savage/Sim

Extras: Savage, Sim

With Kapanen
Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Richards-Sharp
Kapanen-Primeau-Radio
Brashear-Handzus-Stevenson

Extras: Sim, Savage
Callup: Umberger

The force of reason being used over histrionic hand-wringing in the face of adversity?

I say, you are a rare one! heh heh

I wonder about Radi as well, come to think of it. Is he ready to take on more scoring responsibility, or do we have a forward whose best efforts will net us 10 goals? We could sure use a boost from him this year.

Sedsey 09-15-2005 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion of the North
As Umberger makes about 900k in the NHL can the Flyers send him down without him passing through waivers ?

Doesn't this have to do with the number of years he has played pro? I am thinking that at his age, he'd have three years of "free callups/send downs", but I am pulling that out of the air.

Gags1288 09-15-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedsey
Doesn't this have to do with the number of years he has played pro? I am thinking that at his age, he'd have three years of "free callups/send downs", but I am pulling that out of the air.

Yes, like all rookies, Umberger signed a two-way contract. Because of this, he can be sent down and brought back up without passing through waivers (assuming he makes less then 75k with the Phantoms).

bennysflyers16 09-15-2005 04:56 PM

Depth never hurts ! Let's hope he plays well in whatever role he is given.

Brad* 09-15-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedsey
What I thought of right away is that the team must feel that a guy like Ruzicka is not a serious contender for a spot. Yes, I know Savage is a LW and Stefan a RW, but those postions are academic on a team that is already moving a couple natural centers to the wings.

We have to look at this for what it is. I don't think there will be many Savage fans showing up, but it is a short term fix at what must be a reasonable rate for a player that can put together a month long scoring run before he disappears. Anything else is a bonus.

If he can do it early, that also will lift some pressures off the rookies as they adjust to their NHL roles.

I wonder, though...

I am a strong believer in the skills of Carter. Would Savage benefit from playing with him, concentrating on being open to take shots? With Jeff's ability and willingness to fire the puck, there should be garbage goals available as well for anybody that can plow the crease. Savage should be able to benefit from that. I envisioned Knuble doing so after the Forsberg news, but I read Mike is with Mike.

I don't like it that much, but to pick up a player that might help at such short notice, with what is available on the market, it isn't the worst news.

NO MORE INJURIES! It played a big role in our loss to TB, and it is getting to be a tired story now.

The signing is more odd than anything else. Savage could likely match the offensive output that Kapanen would bring to the table, as Sami hasn't exactly been lighting it up for a few seasons now. The thing that's odd about Savage becoming an injury replacement, is that Savage has historically be an injury prone player. If he gets third or fourth line minutes he'll be fine, and as Lion pointed out, his cap hit will be virtually non-existent.

Still, I'd rather have given a player like Umberger a chance on the big club. He has played wing before, and even though he's more expensive and less experienced, it would be a live audition where the Flyers (and us) would be able to get a good look at what he has. But, this is a Hithcock team, and he'll take the veteran over the rookie almost every time.

Dr Love 09-15-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Still, I'd rather have given a player like Umberger a chance on the big club. He has played wing before, and even though he's more expensive and less experienced, it would be a live audition where the Flyers (and us) would be able to get a good look at what he has. But, this is a Hithcock team, and he'll take the veteran over the rookie almost every time.

I agree, but if Savage winds up on the fourth line and Umberger on the Phantoms, then I don't think it's bad at all. I'd rather Umberger get 20 minutes a night as the best player on the Phantoms then 11 minutes a night as the last man on the roster for the Flyers. If it's third line time though, like I said, I agree with you.

Large_Farva* 09-15-2005 05:58 PM

Weird signing.. Savage doesn't even do good in October anymore.

PRB 09-15-2005 06:23 PM

Savage will do well enough I think, im not really againts it though at 34 he is getting on a bit, I might have liked to see a younger player in to add to some of the youth we have as we do have quite a few veterans.

Still he'll be good depth.

quat 09-15-2005 07:03 PM

I'm much more suprised that you guys have Richards penciled in on the second line, while Handzus get's dropped to the fourth. Before Forsberg was picked up, I thought Zues was the concensus top line center?

I'm really suprised by the Savage signing, but perhaps Hitch and Clarke see something everyone else has missed.

Street Hawk 09-15-2005 07:10 PM

1 way deal?

Quote:

Relax, relax, relax.

It's not that easy. It depends on whether Savage signed a 2 way or 1 way contract. Most likely, he signed a 1 way contract, meaning he'll get his NHL salary regardless whether he's in the NHL or AHL, so that will count against the cap. Now, if Savage signed a 2 way contract, then the Flyers are in great position.

Umberger, he, like all other players on the rookie contract, is on a 2 way deal. So, he doesn't have to clear waivers.

For Sim, don't know if he has a 2 way or 1 way contract.