HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Put these greats in order: (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=171868)

arrbez 09-15-2005 05:47 PM

Put these greats in order:

These are all guys who I was too young to have seen play (in their primes at least). In what order would you rate them 1-10?

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

VanIslander 09-15-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrbez
These are all guys who I was too young to have seen play (in their primes at least). In what order would you rate them 1-10?

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

One of the benefits of getting older...

Based on the skill I saw (rather than ranking careers):

Trottier
Bossy
Lafleur
Esposito
Hull
Dionne
Perrault

Snap Wilson 09-15-2005 05:56 PM

Quote:

In what order would you rate them 1-10?
In regards to what?

arrbez 09-15-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneyp
In regards to what?

well, best to worst...

I thought it was kinda self explanitory. At the peak of their respective games, which order would you take them in a draft (taking all aspects of the game into account)?

Crosbyfan 09-15-2005 09:31 PM

Quote:

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

Beliveau
Hull
Lafleur
Esposito
Bossy
Mikita
Trottier
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

canucksfan 09-15-2005 10:30 PM

Beliveau
Hull
Lafleur
Esposito
Mikita
Trottier
Bossy
Clarke
Dionne
Perrault

Malefic74 09-15-2005 11:49 PM

Quote:

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

I'm going to assume you are refferring to Phil and not Tony, and Bobby rather than Brett.

Beliveau
Hull
Lafleur
Trottier
Perreault
Espo
Mikita
Clarke
Dionne
Bossy

That was a lot harder than it looked at first glance .....

God Bless Canada 09-16-2005 01:13 AM

Wow, you sure didn't ask for easy players to rank, did you? To me, there's only one easy choice: Beliveau at No. 1. IMO, the top six players in NHL history are virtually undebatable. (Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard, Beliveau). Until Mario Lemieux came along, Beliveau was the greatest combination of size and skill. His graceful skating was years ahead of it's time.

I've also said that outside of the top 10, the rankings become very challenging, as it's too close to call. Ask someone for a list of players 11-25, and you'll get at least 20 different names and hundreds of combinations. The rest of the players on this list fall outside of the top 10, and most are in the top 25.

*Esposito
*LaFleur
*Hull
*Trottier
*Mikita
*Bossy
*Clarke
-------------------------------
*Dionne
-------------------------------
*Perrault

IMO, from Esposito to Clarke, we're talking about seven players who could be slotted in the 11 to 25 range. Each had something special that they brought to the table. Dionne's place in the all-time scoring list is more a testament to his longevity. Not to take anything away from his career, he was a doozy of an offensive player, but I'd say he falls in the 30-40 range. (Trottier, Clarke and Mikita had the grit that Dionne lacked, and in the case of Trottier and Clarke, they had leadership and playoff performance that Dionne lacked). Perrault would fall somewhere between 40-50.

KOVALEV10* 09-16-2005 01:57 AM

Wow this is so tough to decide... Beliveau is definately number 1 and Lafleur and Hull are 1 and 1a after that its all about opinions.

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

John Flyers Fan 09-16-2005 08:00 AM

Beliveau would certainly be #1. Perreault and Dionne would certainly be the bottom two. The rest are close enough to put in a hat and draw out any order.

As per The Hockey News List:

Beliveau - 7
Hull - 8
Lafleur - 11
Mikita - 17
Espo - 18
Bossy - 20
Clarke - 23
Trottier - 30
Dionne - 38
Perreault - 47

EagleBelfour 09-16-2005 08:11 AM

Quote:

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

That's a difficult question! These 10 player are amazing! But IMO...

Phil Esposito
Jean Beliveau
Bobby Hull
Guy Lafleur
Marcel Dionne
Mike Bossy
Stan Mikita
Bryan Trottier
Bobby Clarke
Gilbert Perreault

(I would take any of these guy in my team!!! :) )

doc5hole 09-16-2005 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malefic74
I'm going to assume you are refferring to Phil and not Tony, and Bobby rather than Brett.

Take that, Dennis.

McGuillicuddy 09-16-2005 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc5hole
Take that, Dennis.

:biglaugh:

Snap Wilson 09-16-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

well, best to worst...

I thought it was kinda self explanitory. At the peak of their respective games, which order would you take them in a draft (taking all aspects of the game into account)?

At the peak of their games and what order I'm taking them in the draft (assuming my team gets them for the entirety of their career) are two different things.

When are we playing? The 60s? The 70s? The 80s? What style of hockey does my team play? For instance, if I have some big, physical wingers already for him to line up with, I might take Espo first or second. If not, I'm looking elsewhere.

But what the hell: Assuming my team is starting from scratch and we're playing the hockey of the post-expansion, pre-merger era (where most of these guys had their greatest success) here are my picks:

1. Beliveau

Easy choice as the first pick. The Mario of his day, although not quite as dominant, a supreme package of size and skill as well as superior leadership qualities to boot.

2. Lafleur

Another easy choice from my perspective. The most gifted offensive player of the rest. Made all who played with him a hell of a lot better.

3. Trottier
4. Mikita

Tough to choose between them. I think in a different system, Trottier would have scored a heck of a lot more (look what he did in the late '70s), although he wouldn't have been the offensive force that Mikita was year in and year out. It came down to Trottier's ability to adjust his game to his team's needs, increasing his defensive responsibility and taking a more complementary role in the offense. Stan also changed his game to become more effective, but I'm not convinced that he could have made the transition that Trottier did quite as easily.

5. Hull
6. Bossy
7. Espo

All of these players provided the same thing. I rank them based on their versatility in providing that scoring. Hull could have scored anytime, anywhere, in any era. I rank him ahead of Bossy based on durability and grit, while Espo required physical linemates and a specific style of play to be as successful as he was. Granted, within that style of play, he was phenomenal. But coach MoneyP favors a more wide-open game, plus there's no guarantee that I get Bobby Orr to ride shotgun.

8. Clarke
9. Perreault
10. Dionne

The rest of these are fairly easy. Like Espo, I think Clarke required a specific style of play to be effective, and it's not one that I typically favor, although there's no denying his impact within those parameters. Perreault is a discernable step below the rest of these players, and Dionne, as entertaining as he was to watch, could get swallowed up by a physical defense.

pappyline 11-23-2005 10:42 PM

1.Hull
2.Beliveau
3.Mikita
4.Perrault
5.Lafleur
6Bossy
7Trottier
8.Dionne
9.clark
10 esposito

Found it easy to rank this group. Hull is an easy #1 (surprised so many picked beliveau)

joe_shannon_1983* 11-24-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Hull
Mikita
Trottier
Beliveau
Dionne
Perrault
Clarke

Here are my rankings of these players:

1. Beliveau
2. Hull
3. Lafleur
4. Esposito
5. Mikita
6. Bossy
7. Clarke
8. Trottier
9. Dionne
10. Perreault

Sens Rule 11-24-2005 06:44 AM

1. Hull
2. Beliveau
3. Clarke
4. Esposito
5. Lafleur
6. Bossy
7. Mikita
8. Dionne
9. Trottier
10. Perreault

Lowetide 11-24-2005 08:19 AM

1. Beliveau
2. Trottier
3. Hull
4. Clarke
5. Lafleur
6. Bossy
7. Esposito
8. Mikita
9. Dionne
10. Perreault

I'm probably punishing Mikita a little more than is fair, but I didn't see him for the first half of his career. 1-4 were complete players who had tremendous careers, 5-7 were one dimensional but terribly gifted in that one area, and Dionne plus Perreault are off the pace but very fine players in their own right.

Hardest player for me to slot is Mikita and if I thought more about it he'd likely zip by Esposito.

#66 11-24-2005 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Beliveau would certainly be #1. Perreault and Dionne would certainly be the bottom two. The rest are close enough to put in a hat and draw out any order.

As per The Hockey News List:

Beliveau - 7
Hull - 8
Lafleur - 11
Mikita - 17
Espo - 18
Bossy - 20
Clarke - 23
Trottier - 30
Dionne - 38
Perreault - 47

How THN ranks Trots, the best two way player ever IMO, so low is beyond me. Those old Islander players and that team in general always seem to get the shaft when the greats are being talked about. IMO Trottier, Potvin and Bossy all fall in the 10-18 range.

Beliveau - 7
Lafleur - 9
Hull - 10
Trottier - 13
Espo - 15
Bossy - 18
Mikita - 21
Clarke - 25
Dionne - 42
Perreault - 53

chooch* 11-24-2005 08:35 PM

Prior to answering these types of questions, the poster must state whether he actually saw the players play.

I never saw Beliveau (and not really Hull).

If we are talking just peaks; no one of these players had a bigger peak than Espo in 70/71 - however, they lost in the playoffs.

Still 1976/77 is the greatest all round domination in hockey I've seen: Guy #10.

The others were in another class altho out of the rest Trottier is clearly the best followed far far behind by Clarke and Mikita.

Bossy shouldnt even be on this kind of list, he was a Shutt -level player.

Mario was the best player for 10 years, Guy for 7 years, Orr for 9 years. All about the same, in other words Guy should be in the top 10 list not this one.

chooch* 11-24-2005 08:57 PM

Toe!