HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   OT: Spurs Hire Becky Hammon as Assistant Coach, 1st (paid) female NBA coach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1719009)

No Fun Shogun 08-05-2014 12:30 PM

OT: Spurs Hire Becky Hammon as Assistant Coach, 1st (paid) female NBA coach
 
NBA continues to forge new ground shortly after the NBAPA became the first big four sports union to hire a female chief. Spurs just hired Becky Hammon as an assistant coach, first (paid*) female coach in league history and, if I'm not mistaken, first female coach in any of the Big Four's history.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-name-...ssistant-coach

*Edit: The Cleveland Cavaliers apparently previously had an woman named Lisa Boyer serve unpaid assistant coach in 2002. Previous reports did not mention that.

LadyStanley 08-05-2014 09:48 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...ame=sportsNews

Quote:

There have been women head coaches in the NBA Development and summer leagues, and Lisa Boyer was a part-time member of the Cleveland Cavaliers' coaching staff during the 2001-02 NBA season, according to the Spurs.
Boyer may have been paid, but wasn't full time.

And some other coaches.

Still, a high profile situation.

Master Radishes 08-06-2014 12:21 PM

Hopefully this blazes some trails for female coaches. It might always be difficult for women to play to play with men due to the general physical differences, but women are just as smart as men and perfectly capable of coaching just as successfully.

Very cool story. Best of luck to her.

LadyStanley 08-08-2014 01:14 AM

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wi...oaching-ranks/

THN asks the question: will women ever get into the NHL coaching ranks?

No Fun Shogun 08-08-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 88736681)
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wi...oaching-ranks/

THN asks the question: will women ever get into the NHL coaching ranks?

It's a tough question. I'm inclined to guess it's a very, very long way off, just because of the relative lack of major coaching options for women compared to basketball. By that, I mean starting gigs in women's leagues. In basketball, there's already a full-fledged professional league as well as dozens upon dozens of collegiate coaching gigs. In hockey, however, the women's pro game is significantly smaller, less funded, and has less media coverage, as are the junior and collegiate variants (outside the USA/Canada international games). And that's ignoring the number of male coaches in women's leagues in both sports eating up potential coaching gigs, too.

Obviously, that's not to say that women can only coach women, but in all likelihood we're going to see women coaches start out there before they move on to male leagues. As a result, there seems to be significantly less opportunities for women coaches to advance to the top level as a result compared to basketball. A successful WNBA coach or major NCAA coach just seems to have a higher leg up to get into the NBA to me.

Never say never, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a woman assistant coach in the NHL in my lifetime barring a fundamental change/elevation of public interest in the women's game. I honestly think that a true WNHL would have to be formed before we'd ever see it, not just some dinky regional minor pro league.

GDAWG 08-08-2014 02:42 PM

It's the San Antonio Spurs. That organization and their head coach Gregg Popovich have enough skins on the wall to do something like this.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 08-08-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 88736681)
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wi...oaching-ranks/

THN asks the question: will women ever get into the NHL coaching ranks?

Truly embarrassing. The entire make up of the league lacks diversity. Bettman has failed on every level possible.
At this point why would a team hire a woman for anything other than good PR?
For the record Kim Ng's role is way more significant in equality.

Fugu 08-09-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS (Post 88759949)
Truly embarrassing. The entire make up of the league lacks diversity. Bettman has failed on every level possible.
At this point why would a team hire a woman for anything other than good PR?
For the record Kim Ng's role is way more significant in equality.

I don't generally defend Bettman much, but he's not the one hiring coaches for teams. That's the GM and then the head coach for the assistant roles.


That said, there probably aren't very many women who are qualified to coach men's pro teams. Where do they get the experience, because it is different to just about any other route available to women. The scale just isn't there like you have with basketball, and that probably goes for the NFL and MLB as well.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 08-09-2014 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 88760221)
I don't generally defend Bettman much, but he's not the one hiring coaches for teams. That's the GM and then the head coach for the assistant roles.


That said, there probably aren't very many women who are qualified to coach men's pro teams. Where do they get the experience, because it is different to just about any other route available to women. The scale just isn't there like you have with basketball, and that probably goes for the NFL and MLB as well.

First off I'm not simply referring to coaching and I am talking about all pro leagues.
Of course basketball would be first as it is a global sport in which women play professionally too. Women don't play much baseball and no league exists for them to compete.
Women have no football league. However ice hockey is played by women all over.
The NHL is the least diverse league in all major sports. That was my point and Bettman has yet to adopt a Rooney type rule to combat that. Its about all minorities having equal opportunity and not just females. The NBA will continue this trend thanks to Becky Hammond hiring but this is long overdue. As I mentioned before the NG hiring was more notable because less women follow baseball and the game isn't played by them much.
It would only be natural to think that the NHL would follow suit.
To me the NFL would be the least obvious.
To say its not Bettmans call is being nieve. Sure owners hire players, coaches, GMs, scouts and other employees but commissioners influence this greatly when expressing diversity in sports.

Fugu 08-09-2014 10:52 AM

I don't believe women's hockey is quite as widespread as you make it out to be, but certainly nowhere as visible as women's basketball, especially if you consider NCAA basketball and then their pro league. It's nowhere close to comparable.

The NBA Player's Association hired a woman as their head. The league itself has nothing to do with who they select, other than the PA knowing who the adversary will be.

The NHL has been a white sport for a variety of reasons. Bettman can't change that. I seem to recall him being rather active or supportive of getting equipment to poorer areas so more kids could play.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 08-10-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 88764533)
I don't believe women's hockey is quite as widespread as you make it out to be, but certainly nowhere as visible as women's basketball, especially if you consider NCAA basketball and then their pro league. It's nowhere close to comparable.

The NBA Player's Association hired a woman as their head. The league itself has nothing to do with who they select, other than the PA knowing who the adversary will be.

The NHL has been a white sport for a variety of reasons. Bettman can't change that. I seem to recall him being rather active or supportive of getting equipment to poorer areas so more kids could play.

But to me the problem is not all women and other minorities.
The NHL is a good ole boys league.
How many European coaches, GMs, and other executives do we see?
Truly not enough.

supsens 08-10-2014 08:28 AM

I have no idea why we need to see more coaches from Europe. MOD


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.