HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Lowe's Key transactions and Drafting record (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17240)

elphy101 10-05-2003 04:01 PM

Lowe's Key transactions and Drafting record

I figured I'd do a timeline of Lowe's transactions.

Offseason before 2000-2001 season(this is off memory, sorry if I get a time periods wrong)

Hire Craig Mactavish as head coach
Trades Hamrlik for Brewer, 2nd round pick and Josh Green

17 Alexei Mikhnov
35 C Brad Winchester
83 D Alexander Liubimov
113 C Lou Dickenson
152 D Paul Flache
184 R Shaun Norrie
211 W Joe Cullen
215 C Matthew Lombardi
247 Jason Platt
274 F Evgeny Muratov

(Midseason) Signs Comrie to huge contract to prevent UFA
(Midseason) Guerin for Carter, 2nd, option to switch firsts.

Offseason before 2001-2002 season

Trades Weight, Riesen for Hecht, Reasoner, Horacek.

13 L Ales Hemsky
43 L Doug Lynch
52 Ed Caron
84 D Kenny Smith
133 G Jussi Markkanen
154 Jake Brenk
185 Mikael Svensk
215 L Dan Baum
248 D Kari Haakana
272 D Ales Pisa
278 L Shay Stephenson

Signs Georges Laraque, and Dan Cleary to very large contracts. Cleary contract blows up.

Signs Ty Conklin as an unsigned free agent from college
Signs Marc Andre Bergeron as undrafted UFA from junior

(Midseason) Tom Poti and Rem Murray for Mike York, 4th.

Offseason 2002-2003

Hecht for 2 2nds (DesLauriers, Stoll)
3rd for Dopita

15 C Jesse Niinimaki
31 G Jeff Deslauriers
36 R Jarret Stoll
44 Matt Greene
79 Brock Radunske
106 Ivan Koltsov
111 Jonas Almtorp
123 C Robin Kovar
148 Glenn Fisher
181 D Mikko Luoma
205 L Jean-Francois Dufort
211 Patrick Murphy
244 Dwight Helminen
245 F Tomas Micka
274 Fredrik Johansson

(Midseason)Buys out mistake Jiri Dopita
(Midseason) Carter, Pisa for Dvorak, Cross.
(Midseason)Niinimaa, 2nd for Isbister and Torres.

Offseason 2003-2004

22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot
51 Colin McDonald
68 Jean-Francois Jacques
72 Mishail Joukov
94 C Zach Stortini
147 Kalle Olsson
154 David Rohlfs
184 Dragan Umicevic
214 C Kyle Brodziak
215 D Mathieu Roy
248 Josef Hrabal
278 Troy Bodie

Buys out Dan Cleary
Locks Mike Comrie out of training camp
Signs Smyth to a very affordable 3 year contract.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 10-05-2003 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphy101
(Midseason) Guerin for Carter, 2nd, option to switch firsts.

What a great trade :D just think if he didnt do that we might not have Hemsky right now :eek:

Mizral 10-05-2003 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
What a great trade :D just think if he didnt do that we might not have Hemsky right now :eek:

Heh, agreed. It's funny how I remember when the trade happened, it was one of the worst trades ever to some Oilers fans. I think the Hemsky portion can't really be included, rather just saying it was a swap of firsts. Besides, they got Shaonne Morrisonn who really could be a good one. He had a nice year in Providence and could play a few games up from the farm if he does well. Good potential top 4 blueliner.

elphy101 10-05-2003 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
Heh, agreed. It's funny how I remember when the trade happened, it was one of the worst trades ever to some Oilers fans. I think the Hemsky portion can't really be included, rather just saying it was a swap of firsts. Besides, they got Shaonne Morrisonn who really could be a good one. He had a nice year in Providence and could play a few games up from the farm if he does well. Good potential top 4 blueliner.

But still it looks good

To Boston

Bill Guerin
Shaonne Morrison

To Edmonton

Anson Carter
Ales Hemsky
Doug Lynch

Mizral 10-05-2003 04:56 PM

Quote:

But still it looks good

To Boston

Bill Guerin
Shaonne Morrison

To Edmonton

Anson Carter
Ales Hemsky
Doug Lynch

Sure, if you look at it like that. I'm still not sure that's fair though. Since Boston might have picked someone completely different.

Even without looking at whom they picked though, I'd still say Edmonton won out. Right now, I'd rather have Carter than Guerin - Guerin nearly lost his career last year & his money is just insane.

Mr Sakich 10-05-2003 05:54 PM

mizral, to make that trade comparison without considering the contract status is pure foolishness. Boston has morrison, we have hemsky, devo, and lynch to show for it.

This isn't some fantasy league where dollars don't matter.

Vyse64 10-06-2003 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck
mizral, to make that trade comparison without considering the contract status is pure foolishness. Boston has morrison, we have hemsky, devo, and lynch to show for it.

you forgot Cross lol

Mizral 10-07-2003 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor dyck

What the heck!? I said it was a great trade for the Oilers! God dammit, try reading the post. Contracts were obviously a huge factor.

I simply said I do not think draft picks can be included as value. Rather, I would say:

The Oilers got a 1st round pick and whatever round pick Lynch was (forget), and Dvorak, and Cross. The Bruins have Morrisonna .

Seachd 10-07-2003 03:46 PM

Yeah, I don't think you can say Hemsky, Lynch, and Morrisonn were included in that trade. It's like saying the Oilers got Comrie for Satan.

I think the best you can say is that the Oilers got the pick that resulted in Hemsky, etc...

But at the same time, when looking back on the trades, you can't ignore what those draft picks became.

Mr Sakich 10-07-2003 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
What the heck!? I said it was a great trade for the Oilers! God dammit, try reading the post. Contracts were obviously a huge factor.

I simply said I do not think draft picks can be included as value. Rather, I would say:

The Oilers got a 1st round pick and whatever round pick Lynch was (forget), and Dvorak, and Cross. The Bruins have Morrisonna .

eeeek. It wasn't a slam at you Mizral but when I re-read it , it comes off as quite pompous. Sorry

thome_26 10-07-2003 05:36 PM

well then look at it this way... Dvo, Cross, Lynch, first A Guerin first B where first A is obviously superior to first B.

HOZ 10-07-2003 05:51 PM

Quote:

But still it looks good

To Boston

Bill Guerin
Shaonne Morrison

To Edmonton

Anson Carter
Ales Hemsky
Doug Lynch

It was a awesome deal when it happened. Guerin's contract meant the Oilers were going to lose him for nothing. Lowe turned that loss into a forward with similar, slightly lesser, talent and picks.

That trade now looks like this

Boston
supplimentary pick (whoever that was I don't know)
Morrison

Edmonton
Dvorak (Cross - Pisa)
Hemsky
Lynch

That is a loss for the Bruins no matter and a win for the Oilers how many time you bake it and flip it.

elphy101 10-07-2003 05:53 PM

I have to disagree. I think you should at trades based totally on results.

The Oilers got Hemsky as a result of that trade, Boston got Morrison.

The NHL is based on results. Hemsky was a result of that trade. I agree different teams would have picked different players, but the Oilers ended up with Hemsky because of the Guerin trade. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

Seachd 10-07-2003 05:57 PM

Quote:

I have to disagree. I think you should at trades based totally on results.

The Oilers got Hemsky as a result of that trade, Boston got Morrison.

The NHL is based on results. Hemsky was a result of that trade. I agree different teams would have picked different players, but the Oilers ended up with Hemsky because of the Guerin trade. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

I agree, and like I said, the results can't be ignored. One problem comes in, though, when you look at the possibility that the Oilers could have gotten Hemsky without doing the trade. It's not as concrete as saying the Oilers got Hemsky in that trade. They got a draft pick, and at the time of their pick, took Hemsky. He may very well have still been available if the Oilers hadn't switched picks.

But it's all basically the same thing. You're right, though - when we look back now, the results are the important thing.

VayaConDios 10-07-2003 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seachd
I agree, and like I said, the results can't be ignored. One problem comes in, though, when you look at the possibility that the Oilers could have gotten Hemsky without doing the trade. It's not as concrete as saying the Oilers got Hemsky in that trade. They got a draft pick, and at the time of their pick, took Hemsky. He may very well have still been available if the Oilers hadn't switched picks.

But it's all basically the same thing. You're right, though - when we look back now, the results are the important thing.

He would have been available, i remember when watching it the announcer said that Hemsky was a surprise pick and was rated alot lower than some other guys.

momentai 10-07-2003 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOZ
It was a awesome deal when it happened.

I know it had to be done.. but it came at a time when Guerin was clicking so well with Weight and Smyth. I think they were one of the most dominant lines in the NHL at the time and that is quite a feat in of itself. We took a little dive after that I believe...

I know that his value was probably at its highest point... but it hurt at the time in the regular season. Everything more than worked out in the long run though.

kraigus 10-07-2003 08:01 PM

I gotta go with elphy on this one: you can't just say "a first round pick for another", because it wasn't just that. It was a higher pick, and one that was used to select the player Lowe wanted. Perhaps Hemmer would have still been available; Lowe thought probably not, else he would have asked for something else. Maybe he was wrong, but maybe he wasn't. So, give the GM exchanging the picks the benefit of the doubt. (Easy for us Oilers fans to say, sure. ;) )

At any rate, exchanging picks is not without value, so discounting the trade altogether is foolish. Ditto for discounting prospects "because they may not turn out". Prospects are not without value, else people wouldn't trade for them, and if you're gonna play that game, Guerin may have gotten hurt playing for Edmonton. We're none of us prophets.

rant OFF!