HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bondra Officially signs with Atlanta (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=172668)

Mathletic 09-18-2005 04:00 PM

Bondra Officially signs with Atlanta

Tsn/rds

Oil_slick9416* 09-18-2005 04:02 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=136779

interminded 09-18-2005 04:04 PM

Nice signing !!
Atlanta has really done well in the FA market !
Biggup !

barrytrotzsneck 09-18-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by interminded
Nice signing !!
Atlanta has really done well in the FA market !
Biggup !

and could still end up a worse team than last year.

all for nothing if they don't get kovalchuk resigned.

Canadian_Brewtality 09-18-2005 04:57 PM

yep. Bondra can still score maybe 20-25, but without Kovalchuck, this team isnt a contender.

VAThrasher 09-18-2005 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=nomorekids]]...leads the board in all-time anti-Atlanta observations.

Lars 09-18-2005 07:22 PM

and hes sooo CHEAP 505 thou!!! what a STEAL!

Kritty 09-18-2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality
yep. Bondra can still score maybe 20-25, but without Kovalchuck, this team isnt a contender.

Wouldn't they have to be a contender to actually NOT be a contender? A contender for the playoffs sure, but I wouldn't call them a contender, I would call them a possible playoff team.

barrytrotzsneck 09-18-2005 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=VAThrasher]
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
]...leads the board in all-time anti-Atlanta observations.

that's impossible. i'm too busy trolling against the habs, flaming the leafs, bashing the flames and rousing the jackets. how could i possibly find the time to hate ANOTHER team and their fanbase?

The Maltais Falcon 09-18-2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

and could still end up a worse team than last year.

all for nothing if they don't get kovalchuk resigned.

Doubtful.

The rest of the Atlanta roster is vastly upgraded over the last team Atlanta iced. Holik, Hossa, Bondra, Havelid, Modry, de Vries are huge steps up from the players they replaced that were on the '03/'04 squad. Hossa versus Heatley is probably a wash, but then Heatley played less than half that last season and wasn't at 100% for a chunk of the time he did play.

Kovalchuk will sign more than likely, but if he doesn't, this will still be the best team Atlanta's ever had.

El_Loco_Avs 09-19-2005 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon
Doubtful.

The rest of the Atlanta roster is vastly upgraded over the last team Atlanta iced. Holik, Hossa, Bondra, Havelid, Modry, de Vries are huge steps up from the players they replaced that were on the '03/'04 squad. Hossa versus Heatley is probably a wash, but then Heatley played less than half that last season and wasn't at 100% for a chunk of the time he did play.

Kovalchuk will sign more than likely, but if he doesn't, this will still be the best team Atlanta's ever had.

I agree... if they mesh well they might end up being really good. I hope they do too... :)

Onion Boy 09-19-2005 06:32 AM

I think Atlanta is one top-four d-man away from being considered a really strong club. As it is, they still look like a playoff club to me (provided they get Ilya under contract which I believe they will).

Blind Gardien 09-19-2005 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44_bertuzzi_44
and hes sooo CHEAP 505 thou!!! what a STEAL!

Is it cheap? What is the CBA position on bonus money again? I understand that Allison's bonuses will carry over to next year's cap because of his injury history status. I also understand that certain categories of veteran players (like Bondra?) are the only other players eligible for bonuses. Do his bonuses ($2.9M!) go against this year's cap space? Or, like Allison's, would they only carry over onto next year's cap space if he achieves them?

It is kind of important, because if they go against this year's cap, it only leaves the Thrashers with around $5M for Kovalchuk... which wouldn't be enough.

TIA.

AvsGuy 09-19-2005 07:58 AM

of course, you guys are all kinda assuming that Atlanta is a serious contender despite the fact that they'll be playing a rookie goaltender, no?

ExplosiveLEAFman 09-19-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
of course, you guys are all kinda assuming that Atlanta is a serious contender despite the fact that they'll be playing a rookie goaltender, no?

Fair enough but Ottawa is considered a cup contender with a 40+ Hasek. Calling Atlanta a serious playoff contender with a rookie netminder, who is the best goalie prospect in the nhl, isn't a stretch. You could raise simliar questions about almost every teams goaltending.

AvsGuy 09-19-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explosivethinman
Fair enough but Ottawa is considered a cup contender with a 40+ Hasek. Calling Atlanta a serious playoff contender with a rookie netminder, who is the best goalie prospect in the nhl, isn't a stretch. You could raise simliar questions about almost every teams goaltending.

true. nobody is a sure thing. but if Lehtonen falters, Atlanta could be out of it by mid-season. that said, they do have a lot more trading pieces now if they need to acquire a goaltender.

barrytrotzsneck 09-19-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explosivethinman

to be honest, i don't particularly consider ottawa a serious cup contender. i think they're a second\third round contender, and that's largely because of the goaltending.

of course, they have quite a margin for error with guys like redden, chara and phillips. atlanta's defense is improved, but "devries, modry, havelid" doesn't exactly strike fear in anyone's hearts, either.

ExplosiveLEAFman 09-19-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

to be honest, i don't particularly consider ottawa a serious cup contender. i think they're a second\third round contender, and that's largely because of the goaltending.

of course, they have quite a margin for error with guys like redden, chara and phillips. atlanta's defense is improved, but "devries, modry, havelid" doesn't exactly strike fear in anyone's hearts, either.

I'm not comfortable calling Ottawa a cup contender with Hasek as their goalie and Murray as the coach but they seemed as good a pick as anyone. I could have used Tampa, their huge question mark being Grahame. If these teams can't be considered cup contenders, who can? Teams like Boston, Edmonton and Pittsburgh have added a ton of new parts that have their fans excited but it wouldn't surprise me if all three of those teams missed the playoffs. It's wide open this year with so many players changing teams and practically every team has questions to answer.

As for Atlantas defense, no it doesn't strike fear into anyone but it is vastly improved over what we've had in the past.

cws 09-19-2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Is it cheap? What is the CBA position on bonus money again? I understand that Allison's bonuses will carry over to next year's cap because of his injury history status. I also understand that certain categories of veteran players (like Bondra?) are the only other players eligible for bonuses. Do his bonuses ($2.9M!) go against this year's cap space? Or, like Allison's, would they only carry over onto next year's cap space if he achieves them?

It is kind of important, because if they go against this year's cap, it only leaves the Thrashers with around $5M for Kovalchuk... which wouldn't be enough.

TIA.

A good chunk of his bonuses are tied up in how far Atlanta gets in the playoffs (if they qualify at all). Bondra would only get his max bonuses if he acheives good totals in goals, points, games played, and Atlanta makes it deep into the playoffs. Chances are pretty slim that he will. But if all that does happens, I'm pretty sure the team won't mind paying him the money even if it means part of the bonuses count towards next year's cap (and yes, if his bonuses put Atlanta over the cap, the excess will be applied to the cap next season).

kdb209 09-19-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien

TIA.

We won't know for certain untill they finally release the CBA in all it's 600 page glory, but from what I've read on these boards and elsewhere:

- For Injured players (min 100 days IR last season) and vets (35+ yo) on 1 year deals, the bonus money counts against this years cap, as it is earned.

- For ELS players, the bonuses, earned or not, count against this years cap.

Captain Ron 09-19-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209
We won't know for certain untill they finally release the CBA in all it's 600 page glory, but from what I've read on these boards and elsewhere:

- For Injured players (min 100 days IR last season) and vets (35+ yo) on 1 year deals, the bonus money counts against this years cap, as it is earned.

- For ELS players, the bonuses, earned or not, count against this years cap.

According to this article (I cannot vouch for it's source) any incentives that do not exceed $3.2 million can be counted against the following years cap.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...thrashers.html

Quote:

Depending on what money Kovalchuk signs for if he signs or chooses to play out the season in Russia the Thrashers could exceed the league's $39 million cap this season if Bondra hits many of his incentives. A team must have cap room in a given year for any incentives worth more than $3.2 million.

However, incentives up to that threshold are allowed to be counted against the following season if they exceed the cap. It was a gamble Waddell was willing to take

Le Tricolore 09-20-2005 10:18 AM

Awesome. My friend dropped him in a fantasy league, and I picked him up since I had heard that he'd be signing with Atlanta.

Now I need Ilya to sign, too...

Next Best Thing* 09-20-2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

that's impossible. i'm too busy trolling against the habs, flaming the leafs, bashing the flames and rousing the jackets. how could i possibly find the time to hate ANOTHER team and their fanbase?

Lol good one :biglaugh:

It Kills Me 09-20-2005 06:24 PM

I'm confused, his bonuses are 2.9 if they win the cup. What if, the team has a final playoff spot come trade deadline and there at 38 (without bonuses), and they actually win the cup.. Aren't they over? Do they get penalized for next season?

Captain Ron 09-20-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittles
I'm confused, his bonuses are 2.9 if they win the cup. What if, the team has a final playoff spot come trade deadline and there at 38 (without bonuses), and they actually win the cup.. Aren't they over? Do they get penalized for next season?

Part of his bonuses (probably ones accrued during the playoffs) will count against the following years cap.