HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dany Heatly- Jail Time now certain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17303)

windowlicker 10-05-2003 07:27 PM

Dany Heatly- Jail Time now certain

Dan Snyder just passed away.
Its all about the concequences of our actions folks. I saw Dany play in Madison for the University of Wisconsin and knew there was something special about him. He comes into the league, and in his second year shows just what a hockey player he is, and what he will become. A young team going in the right direction with 2 franchise snipers and a proven coach.
And then, one car trip back changes everything.

Heatly was going to be something special. (I still think he will be good, If he ever gets back on the ice)

He caused someones death with wrecklessness. You never fully recover from that.

windowlicker 10-05-2003 07:36 PM

I hope all NHL teams and the head office honor the memory of Dan Snyder and (somehow) dedicate this season to him. What a %&^$ waste. A stupid decision on part of a young guy with a car built for speed.

Snyder was my age.

Just kind of brings everything into perspective.

mamettt 10-05-2003 07:52 PM

I feel just terrible...like someone has just pulled the rug out from underneath you, and all of a sudden you're left with nothing to grasp on to, no reality that's real. The reports had been somewhat positive over the last few days, and than this happens...my prayers go out to Dan Snyder's friends and families, as well as to Danny Healtey's, although for seperate reason. Heatley will get the punishment that's given to him, and he deserves it. Dan Snyder was a father, a son, and a good person, and now he's gone, partially or fully because of Heatley. Heatley made a bad bad mistake, and has to pay the consequences. However, I am not going to demonize dany heatley; I do not feel he's a bad person, I think he's a good person who made a bad mistake...often times, the worst mistakes don't come from clear cut bad guys. I feel for the guilt heatley will have to endure, and the process of getting his life back in order, without mentioning whatver happens in his career. This is a complex moral situation, and I am no therapist or lawyer...I can only say what I feel.

RIP Dan Snyder, I hope you've found a better place.

Cerebral 10-05-2003 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamettt
I think [Heatley's] a good person who made a bad mistake...

I think that's the main point right there.

hackey 10-05-2003 08:00 PM

Hopefully this tragic event puts everything in perspective and the boys controlling the results of the CBA get their ***** together and settle their petty little pissing contest. The game, the league, the fans deserve it. Now open your fu*cken eyes and get the CBA done.

elphy101 10-05-2003 08:04 PM

I feel for Dan Snyder's family but at the same time I can't help but feel sorry for Danny Heatley. He will forever have to live with the fact that he killed someone. Unfortunately, he will pay bigtime for the rest of his life for one mistake.

He wasn't drinking and driving. He was just speeding. I know it was wrong and wreckless. And yet, I can say I've driven 130 KM/hour before and I'm sure a good portion of the readers here have done that at some point in their lives.

I cannot imagine what Heatley going thru as he is lying in that hospital bed trying to cope with that one mistake. He deserves the punishment that he receives in terms of jail time, but I think it's safe to say dealing with the guilt of killing a teammate and friend will be far more punishment that the courts could ever provide. My prayers will be with both families after this horrible horrible incident.

windowlicker 10-05-2003 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackey
Hopefully this tragic event puts everything in perspective and the boys controlling the results of the CBA get their ***** together and settle their petty little pissing contest. The game, the league, the fans deserve it. Now open your fu*cken eyes and get the CBA done.

HEy, thats like saying Comrie, Gaborik and Havlat should just quit their hold outs and sign because of what happened to Snyder???

THis is not about Hockey, THis is about Life. this has Nothing to do with any CBA talks or holdouts or the fact owners and the players dont agree on a luxury tax or entry contracts. DONT EVEN pretend to talk about that right now and right here.

This is about a young life that was cut short.

in the end, hockey is just a sport.

fuhr 10-05-2003 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker
HEy, thats like saying Comrie, Gaborik and Havlat should just quit their hold outs and sign because of what happened to Snyder???

THis is not about Hockey, THis is about Life. this has Nothing to do with any CBA talks or holdouts or the fact owners and the players dont agree on a luxury tax or entry contracts. DONT EVEN pretend to talk about that right now and right here.

WELL SAID!!!!!

Waveburner 10-05-2003 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphy101
I feel for Dan Snyder's family but at the same time I can't help but feel sorry for Danny Heatley. He will forever have to live with the fact that he killed someone. Unfortunately, he will pay bigtime for the rest of his life for one mistake.

He wasn't drinking and driving. He was just speeding. I know it was wrong and wreckless. And yet, I can say I've driven 130 KM/hour before and I'm sure a good portion of the readers here have done that at some point in their lives.

I cannot imagine what Heatley going thru as he is lying in that hospital bed trying to cope with that one mistake. My prayers will be with both families after this horrible horrible incident.

Yes but have they driven 130km/h through a residential area? I have some sympathy for him too, but don't try to downplay the sheer idiocy of what he did. His passenger lost his life, not Heatley. All I really hope is that Heatley does not receive special treatment, and that the league finds a way to honor Dan Snyder's memory.

PiliPili 10-05-2003 08:36 PM

Sad news.

Let's all remember to wear our seat belts next time as well. Accidents happen, no doubt this lays heavily on Dany's heart too right now, but Snyder could've/should've been wearing his seatbelt. It's all so irrelevant though. Sad day.

MrMackey 10-05-2003 08:40 PM

Quote:

Holly crap... talk about the wrong time and place to bring up the CBA. That's terrible.

Thoughts and prayers to the Snyder family.

Burke's Evil Spirit 10-05-2003 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiliPili
Sad news.

Let's all remember to wear our seat belts next time as well. Accidents happen, no doubt this lays heavily on Dany's heart too right now, but Snyder could've/should've been wearing his seatbelt. It's all so irrelevant though. Sad day.

Snyder was wearing a seatbelt.

Also, jail time is not certain...he can plea-bargain and get a misdemeanour charge filed. Or something.

I agree with the consensus...Heatley's a good kid who made a bad mistake...but he should pay for that mistake.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 10-05-2003 08:46 PM

I feel terrible for the Snyder family...especially his kids...its hard growing up without a dad. Now they will have to put up with it too. Heatley should not be treated any differently then if it was Joe Dirt driving that car, unfortunatly he will. Heatley was a great hockey players but deserves some jail time like anyone else would.

RIP Dan Snyder

hackey 10-05-2003 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker

No one cares if you live in a fish bowl man. To these guys and everyone else involved in hockey at the professional level, Hockey is thier damn life. Let me repeat - this is their damn life. Anything and everything that happens this year, as unimportant as your little post here to a death of one of thier own is fuc*en life. They live and breath it everyday.
If the CBA does not get done, it is affecting thier livelihood. This is what they do in life. Thier life profession. So get a grip if you think this death of a young man doesn't tie into the bigger picture.

Guy Flaming 10-05-2003 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Heatley's a good kid who made a bad mistake...but he should pay for that mistake.

Agreed but a big part of me believes that there is nothing society can do to punish him more than the plain truth that living with what he did cost someone their life.

No punishment Dany receives will be harder on him than what he's got to live with for the rest of his life. I couldn't even begin to imagine what he has to be going through right now.

This is a tragic story all around. One life ended way too soon and many others are forever changed for the worse. Sad sad sad.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 10-05-2003 08:56 PM

Quote:

No one cares if you live in a fish bowl man. To these guys and everyone else involved in hockey at the professional level, Hockey is thier damn life. Let me repeat - this is their damn life. Anything and everything that happens this year, as unimportant as your little post here to a death of one of thier own is fuc*en life. They live and breath it everyday.
If the CBA does not get done, it is affecting thier livelihood. This is what they do in life. Thier life profession. So get a grip if you think this death of a young man doesn't tie into the bigger picture.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM BUDDY....a man just died and he did virtually nothing wrong...if someone works at safeway and dies from something like this, they dont care about a sale next week or anything...get a grip buddy...im sure that if you knew someone that died from something as tragic as this im sure you wouldnt want anyone talking about their work. once again...GET A GRIP

Narnia 10-05-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM BUDDY....a man just died and he did virtually nothing wrong...if someone works at safeway and dies from something like this, they dont care about a sale next week or anything...get a grip buddy...im sure that if you knew someone that died from something as tragic as this im sure you wouldnt want anyone talking about their work. once again...GET A GRIP

Well said LMHF#2. It's just a game. There are other things more important than a game. The link posted tells us of what is important.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031003/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Yanner39 10-06-2003 02:49 AM

Woke up this morning and heard on TSN and man, it was like getting punched in the stomach. Dan Snyder had to work hard to get where he is only to have this happen. Saddess story I've heard in a while. I was commenting to to my wife on how Heatly made a mistake and he deserves everything coming to him. But it's a damn shame that 2 lives are ruined because of this. I pretty much voice what other here has said: Heatly's a good guy that made a mistake.

dawgbone 10-06-2003 04:22 AM

Guys, as tragic as it is, let's not make Dan Snyder into a saint here. It wouldn't suprise me at all if he had asked Heatley to give her a little.

In the end, Heatley made the mistake, but it isn't like Snyder is an innocent victim here (well, he could be or he couldn't be, we may never really know).

choppystride 10-06-2003 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
Guys, as tragic as it is, let's not make Dan Snyder into a saint here. It wouldn't suprise me at all if he had asked Heatley to give her a little.

In the end, Heatley made the mistake, but it isn't like Snyder is an innocent victim here (well, he could be or he couldn't be, we may never really know).

I agree. This whole thing seems like two young men trying to have some fun going on a joyride.

On a different night, it might very well have been Snyder testing out his his buddy's big toy with Heatley in the passenger seat.

But then of course it's pure speculation on my part.

momentai 10-06-2003 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone

Well, we shouldn't try to villify Dan either. The fact of the matter is that even *if* Dan was egging Heater on, it's ultimately up to Dany to actually drive the car. The driver carries the blame regardless of his passengers' actions.

Dany did something horrible. And he's going to pay for it whether that be jail time, a pounding on his physical career, or his mental psyche... Let's just let it rest. Heatley has more important things to worry about than hockey...

momentai 10-06-2003 06:10 AM

Quote:

No. You're overgeneralizing here. Hockey is NOT their life. It is merely a large part of it. Hockey players are people like any others... If they don't have hockey to turn to for financial support, they'll make do somewhere else. Being with their families, friends... taking care of their children. THAT IS LIFE.

joechip 10-06-2003 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Snyder was wearing a seatbelt.

Also, jail time is not certain...he can plea-bargain and get a misdemeanour charge filed. Or something.

I agree with the consensus...Heatley's a good kid who made a bad mistake...but he should pay for that mistake.

And, I'm sure that he is paying.... right now. Whatever the state does to Heatley will be nothing in comparision to what he'll do to himself. Putting Dany in jail will not bring Dan Snyder back, nor will it assuage his family's pain. Dany's responsibility, at this point, is to those he's harmed, namely Dan Synder's family, not the State of Georgia (and by extension us) who will do nothing but aggrandize their own power over this.

If he's truly a great kid (which I have no reason to believe he is not) he will offer himself in the full serivce of Dan's widow and children for as long as they require of him. That is true penance for his mistake. They are the ones with a greivance and they should set the terms of his punishment. Putting him in jail will do nothing but short-circuit that process and delay, if not, impede forever the healing/restitution process. How does locking him up repair the damage he's done? The punishment doesn't fit the crime in my mind.

I have nothing but the sincerest condolenesces for Dan's family and wish them all the best going forward. I am so very sorry for their loss.

jofa 10-06-2003 09:36 AM

This is such a sad situation, mostly because it was so avoidable. Snyder should be preparing for the regular season and enjoying the rewards of his hard work by fulfilling a dream to play in the NHL. Instead of seeing if Heatley can challenge for the Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophy, the guyís life is falling apart because of one very brief, very dumb decision. I canít imagine what is going on in this guyís head right now Ė the guilt and weight of what has happened, the loss of a friend by his actions, and the grief of his family and of Dan Snyderís family. And now, knowing he may be looking at a lengthy and painful trial and possibly jail time, it must be just brutal.

Iím not saying he should be let off easy or whatever. The law will deal with him appropriately, Iím sure. I just canít imagine what heís going through, knowing how such a brief moment in time can change his life so quickly, from living the dream to living in a nightmare.

Tragic situation for all involved. I wonder how the Thrasher organization will react, as this has to be a huge blow for a young, close team. I got the feeling they were pretty enthusiastic about this season being a breakthrough for them, so Iím not sure where they go from hereÖ I canít imagine any of them are looking forward to start the regular season right now after this.

dawgbone 10-06-2003 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
Well, we shouldn't try to villify Dan either. The fact of the matter is that even *if* Dan was egging Heater on, it's ultimately up to Dany to actually drive the car. The driver carries the blame regardless of his passengers' actions.

Dany did something horrible. And he's going to pay for it whether that be jail time, a pounding on his physical career, or his mental psyche... Let's just let it rest. Heatley has more important things to worry about than hockey...

Hey momentai, you are preaching to the choir here. I agree 100%, that in the end Heatley made the decision and is ultimately responsible, but I just wanted to offer a little perspective here.