HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Confirmation that Comrie is back in EDM... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17380)

speeds 10-06-2003 05:31 AM

Confirmation that Comrie is back in EDM...

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...0-06-0055.html

not a positive spin by Brownlee, though

rabi_sultan 10-06-2003 05:35 AM

I personally think that MC is back and that Brownlee is putting a negative spin on this. I am sure Lowe knows that he won't get fair trade value if MC holds out so I'm positive that MC will be signed within the next week.

Digger12 10-06-2003 05:54 AM

I have to give Brownlee props though...he hasn't backed down on his stance through all of this.

He's either going to look like a prophet or the town clown on this one.

metallicat 10-06-2003 05:55 AM

The entire team of Sun sports writers have never exactly been my favorite. Until a guy like Matheson says he thinks Comrie is gone, my belief is that he is back because a deal is close.

nikeisevil 10-06-2003 06:00 AM

Well,

It's obvious Brownlee has fired up the Comrie storm more than any other writer. This new article is just him perpetuating his existence. Or is it? Maybe Brownlee has a better future in mind - and I bet you I know where it leads...

Here

hockeyaddict101 10-06-2003 06:00 AM

I thing I noticed

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
I personally think that MC is back and that Brownlee is putting a negative spin on this. I am sure Lowe knows that he won't get fair trade value if MC holds out so I'm positive that MC will be signed within the next week.

A couple of days ago. Morley Scott asked Lowe for an update on the Comrie situation. Lowe talked about how difficult it is trading him in the pre-season because everybody is happy with their teams, etc. etc.

Not once did he talk about the possibility of signing him. That to me was very telling.

speeds 10-06-2003 06:05 AM

ordinarily I would think it nothing but a good sign that Comrie is coming back at this point, but Brownless has had at least a couple days to hear from his sources between articles and there isn't even a hint that he thinks he's wrong.

Not saying that he's definitely right, but he seems pretty confident, and I'm not sure why he'd put himself out on this ledge if he weren't sold on his sources.

Yanner39 10-06-2003 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaz44
A couple of days ago. Morley Scott asked Lowe for an update on the Comrie situation. Lowe talked about how difficult it is trading him in the pre-season because everybody is happy with their teams, etc. etc.

Not once did he talk about the possibility of signing him. That to me was very telling.

Spaz, I was thinking the exact same thing...Why in the hell would a team give up a player on their roster who's been there for the month of training camp and has played 7 or 8 preseason games for a player who's been hanging around in Michigan and skating on his own.

Sure, it will only take Comrie a few months to get back in game shape, but the I'm sure any good GM will low ball any offers to get Comrie. I really starting to think that this cloud will be above the team for a good part of the season.

jadeddog 10-06-2003 06:22 AM

yes brownlee will either look like he knew what was gonna happen the entire time, or he gonna look VERY VERY VERY VERY stupid.

now, if my career was dependant on the fact that i wrote fairly reliable information most of the time, im not sure that i would set myself up like this unless i was DAM sure of the outcome. which leads me to believe that brownlee *must* know something. because if he is wrong on this one, its going to be a major knock against him and his journalism ability.

thome_26 10-06-2003 06:47 AM

There is something on TSN.ca now about Comrie coming back to town - doesn't take a position of if it's only for a shorts stay or if a deal is close.

Yanner39 10-06-2003 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
There is something on TSN.ca now about Comrie coming back to town - doesn't take a position of if it's only for a shorts stay or if a deal is close.

The article did state that Lowe has been fielding calls for Comrie trade offers.

http://www1.sympatico.ca/Contents/Sp...tsn/56329.html

Guy Flaming 10-06-2003 07:57 AM

MY only comment on this thread is to point out that Brownlee is a columnist not a beat writer. The difference being he gets to write and express his opinions rather than just report the news as it happens. He can report is impressions on the situation without getting a definite answer from the parties involved.

You guys and gals that chastise him for not backing up his thoughts with quotes shuld realize that... he doesn't have to. But if he's wrong, and Comrie stays, he'll then get the facts and be able to explain where he went wrong.

Robin's a good writer, no a great writer in my opinion. He's no dummy. He's been around and he wouldn't stick his neck out like this just for funzies.

Easilee 27 10-06-2003 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=. He's been around and he wouldn't stick his neck out like this just for funzies.[/QUOTE]

Aren't funzies the underwear built for two you can buy at San Francisco? If so, I sure hope he wouldn't.
Anyway, Brownlee wields a big sword in this whole thing by really putting a negative spin on Comrie. So even if this situation turns into Doug Weights at the start of 96-97, and he's there on Thursday, there will still be a bad taste in some fans mouths specifically from the content of those articles, and polls in the Sun, much like the Toronto media does with the Leafs. That in itself could turn this into a Poti situation, which is unfortunate.

theoil 10-06-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
Robin's a good writer, no a great writer in my opinion. He's no dummy. He's been around and he wouldn't stick his neck out like this just for funzies.

Other than Matheson who doesn't cover the Oilers exclusively this city's 'great' sportswriters have been thoroughly decimated in the last few years by national papers (Post) or electronic media. It is really too bad. Brownlee looks good because his opposite number at the Journal is really, really, really baaad. I've spent a lot of my life in the media (writing, editing, publishing and owning papers - and, yes, I know that it is hard to tell:) but none of them were about hockey specifically). I took a proposal to the Oilers a few years ago to publish a weekly exclusively on the Oilers during the season (I think it was about 30 -33 issues per year. All I asked was access to the players and staff for interviews etc. The lady I talked to just wasted my time and never bothered to even respond to the plan she asked me to put together. (I should point out that my ventures have all been economically successful, which is why I have time to be on this board annoying people). But the reason for this ramble is that she had two major concerns. One, that it would annoy a certain corporate stock holder of theirs and that I would be unable to find competent writers. The first concern is, perhaps, legitimate. The second just hogwash as you yourself attest to.

ZIM 10-06-2003 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
MY only comment on this thread is to point out that Brownlee is a columnist not a beat writer. The difference being he gets to write and express his opinions rather than just report the news as it happens. He can report is impressions on the situation without getting a definite answer from the parties involved.

Guy, I am curious as to why you think Brownlee is a columnist. On this link to the Edmonton Sun there is a list of Sun columnists and he is not included. http://www.fyiedmonton.com/htdocs/generic5.shtml

The article in the Sun contains no new information, in fact Brownlee admits that Lowe and Winter aren't talking to the press and apparently not to each other.

His first sentence "He's just coming back to say goodbye" is idle speculation designed to sell papers. For those of us who actually expect news in the paper it has the opposite effect, we get our news elsewhere. If the public wants speculation this forum is rampant with it, they should throw away the Sun and become forum members.

Narnia 10-06-2003 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omar
Guy, I am curious as to why you think Brownlee is a columnist. On this link to the Edmonton Sun there is a list of Sun columnists and he is not included. http://www.fyiedmonton.com/htdocs/generic5.shtml

The article in the Sun contains no new information, in fact Brownlee admits that Lowe and Winter aren't talking to the press and apparently not to each other.

His first sentence "He's just coming back to say goodbye" is idle speculation designed to sell papers. For those of us who actually expect news in the paper it has the opposite effect, we get our news elsewhere. If the public wants speculation this forum is rampant with it, they should throw away the Sun and become forum members.

That article contradicts what KP said on a Vancouver radio station about a week ago. He was guest on the Canucks pre-game show and was asked about the Comrie situation. KP said that Lowe and Winter were talking every day and hadn't considered a trade yet. To me, it seems that Brownlee is trying to run Comrie out of town like Terry Jones ran Poti out of town.

Behind Enemy Lines 10-06-2003 05:03 PM

No offense Guy but you need to expand your reading list. Robin Brownlee is an adequate writer working for a news chain which favours sensationalism to sell papers.

I enjoy getting the gossip from the Sun chain of writers including Brownlee, Strachan, and such. They stir up emotion through what they do and stimulate controversy. However I would'nt say they are great writers.

ZIM 10-07-2003 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicat
The entire team of Sun sports writers have never exactly been my favorite. Until a guy like Matheson says he thinks Comrie is gone, my belief is that he is back because a deal is close.

Todays Edmonton Journal provides a more plausible explanation regarding Comrie's reappearance. It seems that Michigan has reached a point in their season when they no longer want extra people practicing with the team. The journal suggests that Comrie is here to practice with the U of A Bears.

kraigus 10-07-2003 06:57 PM

I dunno, as Guy says Brownlee may know something, or he's got nothing else to write about that hasn't already been written and he needs to keep his column count up.

I wonder, also, if MC winds up not signing, if Brownlee and the others who've said not much good about the situation will be partially responsible. "We report the news, we don't make it" only goes so far.

Anyway, that's all I got to say about that.

PineJockey 10-08-2003 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraigus
I dunno, as Guy says Brownlee may know something, or he's got nothing else to write about that hasn't already been written and he needs to keep his column count up.

I wonder, also, if MC winds up not signing, if Brownlee and the others who've said not much good about the situation will be partially responsible. "We report the news, we don't make it" only goes so far.

Anyway, that's all I got to say about that.

I just saw an interview of MC by Gene Principe on SportsNet and Comrie was weak. He continually pulled out the "I just play hockey and let Lowe and Winter do the contract stuff". Then Gene asked him point blank if he wanted to remain an Oiler and Comrie wouldn't say anything. He wants out. No question about it now.