HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Your best attribute(?) - Ice Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=174863)

teamstag 09-25-2005 06:09 PM

Your best attribute(?) - Ice Hockey

There's probably a thread like this somewhere but oh well, I wasn't here when it started :p:.

So, what are you best at on the ice? Passing? Shooting? Skating? Any specific type of shot? Hitting?

For me, I'd have to say my best is passing. Whether it be skill, luck, or just untapped talent, the majority of my passes seem to go tape to tape. It even boggles my mind. Next, I'd say Wrist Shots. They aren't the hardest shots but they seem to be pretty accurate to me. One thing I tried last year when I was doing wrist shots was as I was winding up I lifted my leg and kinda used it as an extra push. I know lots of people do it but I thought it was just for show. It actually does add some power to your shot.

I taught myself how to skate so even just being at the same level as a few of the better guys is amazing to me. Although I still don't know how to do slap shots properly :dunno:

DaveyCrockett 09-25-2005 06:59 PM

I've only been playing for a year and a half but my best attributes are my positioning and my smarts. I'm not a naturally gifted athlete so I've been forced to compensate by playing smart and knowing my limitations.

Jared Cowen 09-25-2005 07:02 PM

Goaltending-more specifically five hole.

Steelhead16 09-25-2005 07:10 PM

It used to be hip checks and open ice hits but since that doesn't fly real well in rec leagues now I guess it's my ice vision and the fact that I would rather make a nice pass to someone who scores than score myself. That probably comes from playing Defense for 30 years.

Freddie Mercury 09-25-2005 07:34 PM

Since I'm big for my age (6'0 160 lbs. at 13) people actually find this hard to believe but I practically never hit. The best part of my game(easily) is my playmaking and skating. I a;so have a pretty accurate shot. My hitting blows though, but my balance is pretty good when I get hit. Basically, I am like a 5 foot tall player in a a 6 foot tall hockey players body. Size sure has it's advantages if you can skate with everyone else or faster.

Yertle The Turtle 09-25-2005 07:40 PM

I am 6'1 185 pounds and my best hockey attribute is hitting. Im the guy on my team that goes out in the beggining of the game and lays kids out to set the tone. Its a fun job to have really. I play Midget Minor so most of the kids are smaller then 6'0. My 2nd best attribute has to be my speed. I can skate for a big guy and get my self back into the play after I make a big hit.

FLYLine24* 09-25-2005 08:02 PM

My slapshot and deking. Im not extremely fast but I can get around a lot of players not going top speed.

Le Golie 09-25-2005 08:11 PM

As a goalie, puck handling. I worked hard at it through my teens and it really paid off - I'm head and shoulders above 'most' guys in my league at handling the puck and playing it up ice. Haven't scored yet, but I've had plenty of shots on goal during penalty kills.

Poochie_D 09-25-2005 09:44 PM

id say im a top notch passer. plus im able to do it at top speed which helps.

#66 09-25-2005 09:46 PM

Assets- Size (6'-3" 210), Sense, Hands

Weaknesses- I would say that my skating is good but my stops and starts have gotten pretty bad. Playing roller may have created some flaws. My main problem though is cardio.

Bodmanza 09-25-2005 11:18 PM

Speed and awareness.

Seth Lake 09-25-2005 11:35 PM

Backhand flip pass...I love to get the defenseman to force me to my backhand only to saucer it over to a teammate. Just sort of developed the skill.

Ogopogo* 09-26-2005 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamstag
There's probably a thread like this somewhere but oh well, I wasn't here when it started :p:.

So, what are you best at on the ice? Passing? Shooting? Skating? Any specific type of shot? Hitting?

For me, I'd have to say my best is passing. Whether it be skill, luck, or just untapped talent, the majority of my passes seem to go tape to tape. It even boggles my mind. Next, I'd say Wrist Shots. They aren't the hardest shots but they seem to be pretty accurate to me. One thing I tried last year when I was doing wrist shots was as I was winding up I lifted my leg and kinda used it as an extra push. I know lots of people do it but I thought it was just for show. It actually does add some power to your shot.

I taught myself how to skate so even just being at the same level as a few of the better guys is amazing to me. Although I still don't know how to do slap shots properly :dunno:

Usually, I hate to talk about this kind of stuff because it comes off like I am trying to toot my own horn. This is what my game is all about:

My coach in bantams gave me the "best hands" award. Basically, I am a finesse player and I excel in setting up teammates. I absolutely love to put a pass between the legs of a defender, right on the tape of a teammate and watch him bury it.

My wrist shot is deadly accurate from in the slot, I score a ton of goals from there. Outside of the slot, I am a little weak so, that is where my playmaking ability is valuable.

I also have an arsenal of moves that I use to beat a defender one on one. I don't have very good speed but, I can stickhandle and embarrass a defenseman when I need to.

I hate to sound like I am bragging but, this is my game and, after 25 years of playing this way, I believe I have become quite good at it. Skating is my weakness so, I would have loved to test my skills in a league like the WHL if I could have skated well enough to play there. I am convinced that is all that held me back. If I could skate like Mark Recchi, I could have made a living playing this game.

I was never a physical player and I was what a coach would probably call "soft". That part of the game can be learned though.

Again, sorry for sounding like I am a braggart, this is just as accurate as I can tell it.

ToothlessAggression 09-26-2005 01:21 AM

Playmaking is my stength, my passes are not the most accurate sometimes, but I have a knack for finding an open guy even if I am in heavy traffic. My wrist shot used to be up there, but after hardly playing the last year for some reason I lost it. Really frustrating.

I am pretty weak outside of the offensive zone, but that is mostly because I am in terrible shape.

teamstag 09-26-2005 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Usually, I hate to talk about this kind of stuff because it comes off like I am trying to toot my own horn. This is what my game is all about:

My coach in bantams gave me the "best hands" award. Basically, I am a finesse player and I excel in setting up teammates. I absolutely love to put a pass between the legs of a defender, right on the tape of a teammate and watch him bury it.

My wrist shot is deadly accurate from in the slot, I score a ton of goals from there. Outside of the slot, I am a little weak so, that is where my playmaking ability is valuable.

I also have an arsenal of moves that I use to beat a defender one on one. I don't have very good speed but, I can stickhandle and embarrass a defenseman when I need to.

I hate to sound like I am bragging but, this is my game and, after 25 years of playing this way, I believe I have become quite good at it. Skating is my weakness so, I would have loved to test my skills in a league like the WHL if I could have skated well enough to play there. I am convinced that is all that held me back. If I could skate like Mark Recchi, I could have made a living playing this game.

I was never a physical player and I was what a coach would probably call "soft". That part of the game can be learned though.

Again, sorry for sounding like I am a braggart, this is just as accurate as I can tell it.

Yea, I know what you mean. I didn't want to sound anything like that so I kept mine short.

chum 09-26-2005 05:04 AM

they all suck

but my vision sucks the least (on ice, that is. my eyes, ironically, are terrible)

next suckiest is my skating, but i have been insecure about it recently, so after i've been ice skating for 12 years i bought laura stamm's power skating book last week.

my worst attributes are my slap shooting power and upper body strength. oh, my hands are terrible too.

Jysk 09-26-2005 07:31 AM

Skating , hitting , werry aggresive and strenght, think of a young Luke Richardsson with great skating skills and you have me.

Raven25 09-26-2005 07:40 AM

Skating and passing for me, stickhandling is decent and shot is mediocre. If I'm playing with capable forwards, I can qb a pp quite well up high, but that rarely happens as forwards in rec leagues(at least for me) usually are very positionally inadequate to control the offensive zone. A shame, I used to love controlling the puck and moving it around on the PP when I played Junior B

Snap Wilson 09-26-2005 09:31 AM

My golden flowing locks.

Z-Diddy 09-26-2005 11:16 AM

I would have to say my ability to jam the blade of my stick through any skate holder, pull the man down, drop the stick and make the whole scenario look like one big freak accident. Good times...

grapeshine 09-26-2005 12:08 PM

I can dump the puck in like nobody's business. My next best skill is buying the beer for after the game.

Maynard 09-26-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamstag

E) None of the above

Magnus Fulgur 09-26-2005 01:43 PM

puck poise

i'm old-skoula.

Snap Wilson 09-26-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapeshine
I can dump the puck in like nobody's business. My next best skill is buying the beer for after the game.

You can play on my team anytime.

Canadian Chris 09-26-2005 02:38 PM

My best assests...well...As a centerman, I'd say, and quite confidently too, that I'm probably the best at face-offs in the rec leagues in Prince George. Was always above 55% in Jr. B and above 60% in Midget AAA. I'm the guy my team sends out if we are desperate for puck control on the PP or PK....or it's late in the game....

Other than that, I'd definitely say my knack for the net. Last year I finished 3rd in the league in goal scoring with 43G in 37GP.....same thing in Midget....not so much in Jr B though....more of a set up man there....but I always seem to be able to put the puck in the net.

Skating is definitely a weak point though, according to 3 Jr A coaches that's the big reason I was let go/released/cut...whatever you want.