HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Roster Battles on 9/26 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=175038)

vopatsrash 09-26-2005 11:24 AM

Roster Battles on 9/26

Now that we have the roster down to 30 and we are through with the 4 games in 5 day stretch, let's look at where we stand in terms of roster spot battles.

Center
It seems like Trotz likes Perrault and it seems like he's fitting in on a veteran line of him Walker and Sully, now that Erat seems to be officially a RW. I think it would be more surprising if Yanic is gone at this point than if he stays.

This and Nichol's injury seems to be shifting the question to Legwand/Perrault/Robo/Johnson or Legwand/Perrault/Johnson/Grinder. Assuming Perreault is the number 2 and Nichol isn't ready at the start of the season, should they have Robo center Hall/Hartnell and bump Johnson down to the Stevenson/Hordichuk/Tootoo line?

Or should they try to squeeze Robo through waivers down to Milwaukee or trade him and keep Johnson with Hall/Hartnell and put Smithson/Fiddler on the Hordy/Stevenson line?

Wing
With Erat shifted to RW, we now seem to be locked into LW-Kariya, Sully, and Hartnell and RW-Erat, Walker, and Hall.

The question now seems to be do you send Tootoo down and go with Hordichuk and Stevenson or do you keep Tootoo up and maybe have a rotation of the three with one scratched depending on the style of the opponent? I figure that if Tootoo can go down waiver-free that they'll go with the veterans and give Tootoo another year to develop, but it's certainly possible Tootoo will make a loud case for himself against Atlanta later this week.

Defense
Barring further injury, we seem to be locked in with Timonen, Markov, Zidlicky, Hamhuis, Eaton, and Suter as our defensemen.

The Jamie Allison injury does bring forth a quandary as to whether to keep a guy up in his "break glass when 7th d-man/singer is needed" role. Do you keep up a guy like Zanon who seems like a potential "break glass when needed" guy of the future with our depth. Or do you reward a Klein/Weber with a taste of the NHL life for a few weeks since they are waiver-free? I haven't seen a preseason game yet, but it sounds like Klein has been pretty good. Obviously, this is dependant upon the severity of Allison's injury.

Anyway, compared to previous seasons, these are all very good problems to have. It certainly beats "Can we squeeze 3-4 more goals out of Blair Atcheynum and Rob Valicevic?"

vopatsrash 09-26-2005 11:36 AM

I also forgot to add in the wings part that Gamache and Upshall could stick if they decided to add a little skill/grit combo on the 4th line. It would be a tiny line, but I envision Nichol and Gamache creating some havoc together.

barrytrotzsneck 09-26-2005 12:49 PM

I'll comment on two things...

1. This is far from gospel, but someone on the trade board said that they read that Perreault is\is going to sign a 1 year deal with us. Who knows how true that is, though.

2. As far as the Allison injury goes, if we're going to keep anyone around it may as well be Zanon. I'm far from a fan of the guy, but I can tolerate him riding the bench a lot more than I could someone who needs the icetime like Klein or Weber.

David Singleton 09-26-2005 01:39 PM

Is Weber good enough to keep around and allow Eaton to be the 7th d-man during Allison's injury?

Eaton's skills are not going to erode by playing the 7th d-man for the few games that might be necessary and it would give Weber a look at real NHL games- which he has really earned.

David

triggrman 09-26-2005 02:09 PM

No, Eaton is a good defensive defenseman. He's not a punisher but his positioning is very good as is his skating.

David Singleton 09-26-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
No, Eaton is a good defensive defenseman. He's not a punisher but his positioning is very good as is his skating.

Not arguing that in the slightest. My goal is to get the seven best defensemen on the roster without impacting anyone's growth. If Allison is gone for two-three weeks (definitely hope not), why not Weber instead of Zanon? The primary reason of choosing Zanon instead of Weber/Klein was to not retard the growth of either of the latter.

Hence, my question. Is Weber good enough to contribute in Eaton's current spot, shifting Eaton to 7th spot temporarily. Eaton's growth will not be stunted playing the 7th spot short term and Weber may grow further by playing significant minutes for a few real NHL games.

I'm not trying to slight Eaton at all. Which is better: Timonen/Markov, Hamhuis/Eaton, Zid/Suter and Zanon, or Timonen/Markov, Hamhuis/Suter, Zid/Weber and Eaton?

That's my question.

Thanks,
David

triggrman 09-26-2005 02:30 PM

7th defenseman is usually scratched. You can only dress 20. We'll go with 12 forwards-6 defensemen and 2 goalies.

David Singleton 09-26-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
7th defenseman is usually scratched. You can only dress 20. We'll go with 12 forwards-6 defensemen and 2 goalies.

Exactly. I'm proposing scratching Eaton to allow Weber to play. That is, of course, Weber is good enough- which was my original question.

David

C-J Carlson 09-26-2005 03:31 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, Nashville apparently wasn't impressed with how much Jordin Tootoo improved in other aspects of his game last season in AHL Milwaukee. So, I expect to see him back with the Admirals.

And, again, everyone seems to forget Jeremy Stevenson and the great camp he's had. He'll wing it on the fourth line with Darcy Hordichuk and whoever.

Anyhoo...

Cerebral 09-26-2005 03:38 PM

How is Upshall looking in camp so far? Does it look like he has a solid chance to crack the team this year?

Predarat 09-26-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
How is Upshall looking in camp so far? Does it look like he has a solid chance to crack the team this year?

He looks like he will have the chance to become the Scott Allison of the Nashville Predators. But I think he has 14 games in, which is 14 more than Allison ever had.

triggrman 09-26-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty Personified
As I mentioned in another thread, Nashville apparently wasn't impressed with how much Jordin Tootoo improved in other aspects of his game last season in AHL Milwaukee. So, I expect to see him back with the Admirals.

And, again, everyone seems to forget Jeremy Stevenson and the great camp he's had. He'll wing it on the fourth line with Darcy Hordichuk and whoever.

Anyhoo...

I wouldn't say Stevenson had a great camp. No better than Upshall or Tootoo.

triggrman 09-26-2005 03:58 PM

Upshall looked better in games than he has in scrimmages

Pred303 09-26-2005 05:14 PM

one thing that has to be considered about giving these young players any roster time this year are the new free agent rules...

the 27 with 4 accrued seasons that will be in effect in two years could and will cause people to start thinking about do we really want to give this 23 year old guy an accrued season to sit on our bench?

not saying that this would prevent anyone like weber or guys under 23-24 from playing now,but it is somthing that management will have to take a look at as they determine those "extra" players you keep on your roster in the future