HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Jiri Novotny (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=176261)

Lapps 09-29-2005 07:52 PM

Jiri Novotny

I can't find the exact quote anymore, but I remember during a recent round of cuts Ruff said something along the lines of how difficult the cuts were getting to be, and how a lot of guys who deserved more time wouldn't be getting it. Then he named a bunch of players, including Jiri Novotny.

Everything I've seen/heard of him up until now has not been good. Did Novotny play well in training camp? Was this a tactic by Ruff to give him some confidence going into the Rochester camp? (Which begs the question: is Ruff smart enough to motivate a guy that way?) Or was it all bs? In other words, is Novotny showing ANY progress at all?

sabrefan27 09-29-2005 08:01 PM

I saw him at camp this week and he wasn't impressive at all. This is his last year so he either starts producing or he can drag his *** back to Europe.

ajsonor 09-30-2005 07:12 AM

I think he was real good at faceoffs if I remember some of the stats from game he played.

Ruckus007 09-30-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27
I saw him at camp this week and he wasn't impressive at all. This is his last year so he either starts producing or he can drag his *** back to Europe.

No offense, 27, but I think if Novotny scored a hat trick and got into a fight in game 7 of the Calder Cup finals, you'd still criticize his play.

Digable5 09-30-2005 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsonor
I think he was real good at faceoffs if I remember some of the stats from game he played.

The next Bob Corkum?

ajsonor 09-30-2005 11:31 AM

I assume that if they can make him into a a sizeable 3/4 center who takes key faceoffs and can be physical, they'll take it.

Lapps 09-30-2005 11:55 AM

I look forward to a Sabres line of Jiri Novotny, Artem Kriukov, and Vasily Bizyeyevevyvevyvev. :sarcasm:

sabrefan27 09-30-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
No offense, 27, but I think if Novotny scored a hat trick and got into a fight in game 7 of the Calder Cup finals, you'd still criticize his play.

Not true. If he starts to play well with some consistency I will gladly give him credit for it. He played great in the Hamilton series last year, then disappeared against Manitoba. Consistency is his biggest problem. One game he'll look decent, and then he looks lost the next game.

Chainshot 09-30-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Not true. If he starts to play well with some consistency I will gladly give him credit for it. He played great in the Hamilton series last year, then disappeared against Manitoba. Consistency is his biggest problem. One game he'll look decent, and then he looks lost the next game.

When they put him on RW when Poms went down, it was like he turned the corner. Too bad he shut off the engine in the next series....

From what I saw in scrimmage play and against the Caps, he did win most of his faceoffs, was involved along the boards and didn't seem out of place. And at the same time, he was checking line filler that I found both Thorburn and Paille to be much more robust in execution. If they're checkers, they may as well hit.

sabrefan27 09-30-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot
When they put him on RW when Poms went down, it was like he turned the corner. Too bad he shut off the engine in the next series....

From what I saw in scrimmage play and against the Caps, he did win most of his faceoffs, was involved along the boards and didn't seem out of place. And at the same time, he was checking line filler that I found both Thorburn and Paille to be much more robust in execution. If they're checkers, they may as well hit.

Sounds encouraging. He's always been a good faceoff man, I'll give him that. But being involved along the boards. I just don't see it in Rochester. Or at least I haven't yet. Maybe this year will be different. The ice time won't be handed to him this year, there are a lot of players available to the Amerks.

Buffaloed 09-30-2005 04:04 PM

After scoring a career high 5 goals last year and racking up an impressive 36 penalty minutes by throwing his body around with reckless abandon, Novotny is on the verge of breaking out. This is not time to be abandoning this highly talented, former first round pick. With intensive nurturing and encouragement he has the potential to become a quality AHL 3rd liner.

sabrefan27 09-30-2005 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
After scoring a career high 5 goals

:biglaugh:

This made me laugh.