HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Captain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17780)

imyourhuckleberry 10-07-2003 11:32 AM

Captain

Just heard on empire that the captaincy is going to be rotated monthly with this months captain to be announced tommorow.

Takeo 10-07-2003 11:44 AM

What a joke.

joechip 10-07-2003 11:47 AM

Agreed. I like rotating Captain's about as much as I like Varada's ability to finish anything other than dinner.

My hope is that someone will emerge early on and be named permanent Captain by Boxing Day.

I've pushed it back from Guy Fawkes Day. :)

Ta,

Takeo 10-07-2003 11:48 AM

This decision will only prolong our search for leadership and identity. The C is absolutely meaningless now.

KillToronto 10-07-2003 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
This decision will only prolong our search for leadership and identity. The C is absolutely meaningless now.

I agree.

Mr Brownstone 10-07-2003 12:22 PM

Terrible terrible idea.

cybresabre 10-07-2003 12:34 PM

i don't mind it.

minnesota did it recently, maybe it'll make guys step up to earn it.

we'll see though.

Ruckus007 10-07-2003 12:39 PM

Nothing like stupid, gimmicky solutions. I'd rather go into the season with no captain than the rotating C.

imyourhuckleberry 10-07-2003 12:41 PM

I remember when wearing the C meant something. If they did a rotating C in Montreal or Toronto fans would riot.

Kozak72 10-07-2003 12:54 PM

Even Florida named a captain. I agree that this idea is poop.

JOHNBOY 10-07-2003 12:58 PM

This is really pathetic, although at least there will be a captain unlike the end of last year after we traded Barnes.

Weezel RX7 10-07-2003 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybresabre
i don't mind it.

minnesota did it recently, maybe it'll make guys step up to earn it.

we'll see though.

i agree that this isnt that bad of a decision. it will boost the guys whos wearing the C and it will eventually come out with a top guy wearing the C full time. its either this or give the C to a guy who is new to our system ie Drury or a guy who hasnt been on top of his game for like 2 years ie McKee and i just dont think that satan would be a good captain period.

JOHNBOY 10-07-2003 01:01 PM

Empire also announced that Biron will be the starting goalie. I just hope that Miller will be the starter and Norenen will be traded

buffalowing 10-07-2003 01:13 PM

I don't want a Captain now.

TVanek26* 10-07-2003 01:23 PM

I thought Miro would be a decent captain.This is just stupid that 6 or so people will be wearing the "C".There is no honor now in receiving the "C".

JOHNBOY 10-07-2003 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
I thought Miro would be a decent captain.This is just stupid that 6 or so people will be wearing the "C".There is no honor now in receiving the "C".

I agree, the "C" should be something that one player earns,not just have it handed to them.

Takeo 10-07-2003 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
i agree that this isnt that bad of a decision. it will boost the guys whos wearing the C and it will eventually come out with a top guy wearing the C full time. its either this or give the C to a guy who is new to our system ie Drury or a guy who hasnt been on top of his game for like 2 years ie McKee and i just dont think that satan would be a good captain period.

I'm obviously against the rotation idea, but this is a very strong point in its favor.

TheGreatOne99 10-07-2003 05:28 PM

Whatever happened to the idea of this team finding an identity? Hopefully we will have a clear-cut captain by the all-star break.

Puddy 10-07-2003 06:05 PM

So far, I don't see any one player that far and away absolutely deserves to be captain of the Sabres for the next 10 years. There are a lot of guys that could step into that role, namely McKee on defence and Satan, Drury and maybe Briere up front. James Patrick is a leader off the ice, but a #6-7 defenceman and Zhitnik should not be rewarded for being an underacheiver. My lord, imagine Tim Connolly as captain of Buffalo. That would be disgusting. Hopefully the players would want to embrace the idea and show the fans, team and league that they are leaders. At least lets give Lindy Ruff a chance to experiment. But to me, it is a glaring sign that we DO NOT have a true captain on this team. Who can we find that fits that description.

lecherous 10-07-2003 07:24 PM

"Oh crap, today's December 1st, I guess I've gotta listen to Miro instead of Mair today."

Terrible, terrible idea.

Takeo 10-07-2003 08:47 PM

FYI

Results of the captain polls:

C - Miro Satan
A - Chris Drury
A - Jay McKee

I wouldn't necessarily choose these myself but I'd sure as hell take them over our little spin the bottle experiment.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 10-08-2003 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabres22
I remember when wearing the C meant something. If they did a rotating C in Montreal or Toronto fans would riot.

Did the fans in Montreal riot when Guy Carbonneau and Chris Chelios rotated the C in 1989-1990? They usually only riot when a player of theirs is only suspended and not charged with assault for swinging his stick.

The Toronto fans didn't riot when they didn't have a captain from 1986-9, or when they won two Cups as the St. Patricks or Arenas either.

imyourhuckleberry 10-08-2003 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Did the fans in Montreal riot when Guy Carbonneau and Chris Chelios rotated the C in 1989-1990? They usually only riot when a player of theirs is only suspended and not charged with assault for swinging his stick.

The Toronto fans didn't riot when they didn't have a captain from 1986-9, or when they won two Cups as the St. Patricks or Arenas either.

well then i guess that shows that it doesnt matter if the C gets rotated or if we even need a captain to begin with.

MLH 10-08-2003 08:26 AM

Rotating the captaincy doesn't bother me that much. Look at the 38 threads on this forum about who should have letters and almost every one has some kind of different combination. Drury, Satan, McKee, Mair, Brown, Patrick, Zhitnik, and even Timmah (sarcasticly of course) received votes. There is not one definitive leader on this team, so why should we just annoint one? The best leader will come forward and then we'll no longer have this problem. Give it time, it will work out in the end.

imyourhuckleberry 10-08-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BartG101
Rotating the captaincy doesn't bother me that much. Look at the 38 threads on this forum about who should have letters and almost every one has some kind of different combination. Drury, Satan, McKee, Mair, Brown, Patrick, Zhitnik, and even Timmah (sarcasticly of course) received votes. There is not one definitive leader on this team, so why should we just annoint one? The best leader will come forward and then we'll no longer have this problem. Give it time, it will work out in the end.

good point