HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   It will take more than a Stirling preseason to vault Isles (Fischler Msg.com) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=17799)

NYIsles1* 10-07-2003 11:48 AM

It will take more than a Stirling preseason to vault Isles (Fischler Msg.com)
 
http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_ne...umnist.article

Stan Fischler
It will take more than a Stirling preseason to vault Isles

THE YASHIN ENIGMA: Which Alexei will we see the loser of last season or the catalyst of the previous year?

PREDICTION: The Boston Bruins and Islanders will battle for the eighth -- and last playoff position. I like the Isles chances because of a coaching edge, defense and better overall offense.

Isles, therefore, will just squeeze in; which, by the way, is a bit better than being squeezed out!
**********************************
Stan wrote Yashin was the loser of last season? I guess he missed the last two weeks and the playoffs and forgot to blame anyone but Trottier for what happened in NYC. You do not want to even read how half-filled the glass is regarding the team who's company that pays his salary.

WhitePony 10-07-2003 01:27 PM

Fischler is an old homer who wants nothing more than to see HIS rangers win the cup....he can really care less where the Isles stand :teach:

Youreallygotme 10-07-2003 01:56 PM

are you saying yashin had a good playoffs? i wont deny the last two weeks we're awesome but where was he the rest of the season? two great weeks dont make a good season, and the numbers speak for themselves; 25 goals 9 million.and to say he had a good playoffs is a bit overstating it. i guess numbers are numbers, but he had two goals in five games, but those two goals couldve been scored by peewee players(or does it take skill to tap the puck into an incredibly open net, and score after the whistle and get the call?) If you are saying yashin had a good season, think of what a 9 miillion dollar player needs to acheive for a good season. (think of the rangers, wait nevermind)

Gator Mike 10-07-2003 02:58 PM

That's a pretty bizarre analysis.

The Isles have a better overall offense than the Bruins?

And Steve Stirling has a coaching edge of Mike Sullivan? Based on what?

Not that I necessarily disagree that the Isles and Bruins will battle it out for the last playoff spot in the East, but if the Isles have a better offense, better defense, and a coaching edge, it would follow that the Bruins wouldn't be anywhere near them, wouldn't it?

Le Golie 10-07-2003 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks&flames
are you saying yashin had a good playoffs? i wont deny the last two weeks we're awesome but where was he the rest of the season? two great weeks dont make a good season, and the numbers speak for themselves; 25 goals 9 million.and to say he had a good playoffs is a bit overstating it. i guess numbers are numbers, but he had two goals in five games, but those two goals couldve been scored by peewee players(or does it take skill to tap the puck into an incredibly open net, and score after the whistle and get the call?) If you are saying yashin had a good season, think of what a 9 miillion dollar player needs to acheive for a good season. (think of the rangers, wait nevermind)

I wouldn't under value Yashin's season so quickly. On a team that didn't score a lot of goals he put up 65 points. Same as Marion Gaborik, but everyone was raving about Marion's season. It's all about perspective.

Sure the Islanders expect more out of Yashin, as I fan I do too. Sure he made a heck of a lot more money than Marion, but he was very good during the stretch drive and like it or not he was the only scoring threat the Islanders had during the playoffs. He created numerous offensive chances and the Sens really had to focus on shutting him down.

He'll have a rebound season and get 80+ points.

IslesJack 10-07-2003 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I wouldn't under value Yashin's season so quickly. On a team that didn't score a lot of goals he put up 65 points. Same as Marion Gaborik, but everyone was raving about Marion's season. It's all about perspective.

Sure the Islanders expect more out of Yashin, as I fan I do too. Sure he made a heck of a lot more money than Marion, but he was very good during the stretch drive and like it or not he was the only scoring threat the Islanders had during the playoffs. He created numerous offensive chances and the Sens really had to focus on shutting him down.

He'll have a rebound season and get 80+ points.


You're forgetting the part where Yashin was invisbile most of the games, and played on the fourth line. That cannot be said about Gaborik. You cannot justify the way Yashin played last season. It was inacceptable. Period.

NYIsles1* 10-08-2003 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks&flames
are you saying yashin had a good playoffs? i wont deny the last two weeks we're awesome but where was he the rest of the season? two great weeks dont make a good season, and the numbers speak for themselves; 25 goals 9 million.and to say he had a good playoffs is a bit overstating it. i guess numbers are numbers, but he had two goals in five games, but those two goals couldve been scored by peewee players(or does it take skill to tap the puck into an incredibly open net, and score after the whistle and get the call?) If you are saying yashin had a good season, think of what a 9 miillion dollar player needs to acheive for a good season. (think of the rangers, wait nevermind)

I'm saying for a five game series, Yashin had a good playoff. Does not matter how the puck goes in, never has or will.

He had two goals, two assists, led the team in shots with twenty. He took a huge beating in game one and took the Sens off their game. A pee-wee player could not have taken the hits he was taking and his team sure seemed to appreciate his effort by mobbing him after the shutout.

As for the season he did not have a good season until the final games when the playoffs were on the line......he stepped up about as well as a nine million dollar (or any player) could when the other lines were doing nothing.

As invisible as his overall season was he would have led about fourteen other teams in scoring, including the Ranger roster that started the season in Manhattan, which is why I think Fischler calling Yashin the loser of last season is comical and homerism when on the team of his personal preference there were so many more deserving choices.

blitzkriegs 10-08-2003 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator Mike
That's a pretty bizarre analysis.

The Isles have a better overall offense than the Bruins?

And Steve Stirling has a coaching edge of Mike Sullivan? Based on what?

Not that I necessarily disagree that the Isles and Bruins will battle it out for the last playoff spot in the East, but if the Isles have a better offense, better defense, and a coaching edge, it would follow that the Bruins wouldn't be anywhere near them, wouldn't it?

Agreed... Stan just blabs, but never supports his statements, sources, etc....

I'm just sick of his column and him....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.